Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Would you wait or proceed

Would you wait or proceed
indychris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2009, 06:26 PM

I operate two Linux servers for a couple of not-for-profits and some personal sites. I am hoping to move all of my sites to two mac minis and colocate them to macminicolo.

HOWEVER...

Since all of the rumors about Apple releasing a revised MM didn't pan out earlier this month, I'm a little concerned about whether or not they will continue to support the platform beyond the archaic edition that is currently available. I know I could go ahead and buy two MMs and add applecare to them to get me three years, but the possibility of migrating again in three years doesn't thrill me.

I guess my overarching question is, should I stay or should I go now?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2009, 11:13 PM

Mines been running solidly for 4 years 24/7 with no problems.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2009, 12:04 AM

They're either going to upgrade or eliminate them soon; either way it's a terrible buy right now.

indychris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2009, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
They're either going to upgrade or eliminate them soon; either way it's a terrible buy right now.
Arrrrgh...

Your reply and that of moonmonkey equate to the very conversation I've been having with myself.

Seriously, I really appreciate the responses. That is my dilemma though. I think I could probably get decent service out of the MM for the time being, but I'd like to know that there's a replacement in the wings 3-4 years from now. And given that apple hasn't done squat to upgrade the thing in 100 years (computer years, of course), it seems a bit overpriced at this point.

I guess I'm holding off for the time being.

Rumor
Jan 27, 2009, 02:43 AM

If you plan on running Linux, then building a Shuttle would be an alternative.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

indychris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
If you plan on running Linux, then building a Shuttle would be an alternative.
Sorry. Guess I didn't articulate myself too well. I'll be moving away from linux and most likely installing Leopard Server on at least one of the machines.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by indychris View Post
Your reply and that of moonmonkey equate to the very conversation I've been having with myself.

Seriously, I really appreciate the responses. That is my dilemma though. I think I could probably get decent service out of the MM for the time being, but I'd like to know that there's a replacement in the wings 3-4 years from now. And given that apple hasn't done squat to upgrade the thing in 100 years (computer years, of course), it seems a bit overpriced at this point.
Our replies are orthogonal; the stability of his PowerPC G4 Mac mini has no bearing on the performance, capability, or future availability of the current Intel Mac mini.

Is your concern the ability to replace a Mac mini with another Mac mini in 4 years?

indychris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2009, 09:07 PM

Our replies are orthogonal; the stability of his PowerPC G4 Mac mini has no bearing on the performance, capability, or future availability of the current Intel Mac mini.

Is your concern the ability to replace a Mac mini with another Mac mini in 4 years?
Precisely.

I know there's no guarantee that the platform will be supported in 3-4 years, but a new release now would at least put my mind at ease a bit.

Ultimately, I guess I'm curious if Apple's failure to release a new Mini has altered the confidence of those "in the know" that something new may be coming down the pike. Some folks were suggesting with almost 100% certainty that a new MM would be released on the 7th. That obviously didn't occur.

As another issue, some have suggested that a new Mini, when released, may not utilize a C2D processor, but might actually use something with less power than the current model.

For someone who is less than an expert, this has left me in a bit of a conundrum.

Thanks again!

Chris

Kyros
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2009, 02:33 AM

What's the benefit of moving to a pair of Mac Minis? I assume you have a good reason to switch to them, but you don't mention anywhere in your post why your current setup isn't good enough .

After that, you have to see what the alternatives are, and see if Mac Minis are the way to go. Rumors of the Mac Mini's death are starting to reach xMac (the always rumored, never released headless mid-range mac) proportions. Personally, I would assume you are okay, although you would have to weigh what you would do if they did kill the Mac Mini after all. Sudden upgrades are always a possibility as well, although the last few updates haven't really been noteworthy enough that I would worry about losing out on any particularly amazing features.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

indychris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kyros View Post
What's the benefit of moving to a pair of Mac Minis? I assume you have a good reason to switch to them, but you don't mention anywhere in your post why your current setup isn't good enough .

After that, you have to see what the alternatives are, and see if Mac Minis are the way to go. Rumors of the Mac Mini's death are starting to reach xMac (the always rumored, never released headless mid-range mac) proportions. Personally, I would assume you are okay, although you would have to weigh what you would do if they did kill the Mac Mini after all. Sudden upgrades are always a possibility as well, although the last few updates haven't really been noteworthy enough that I would worry about losing out on any particularly amazing features.
Kyros-

Personally, I am just much more comfortable in finding my way around on the mac platform. I've managed to get by on my Linux servers for the last few years, but stumble often. Since I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to watching servers, and my sites aren't carrying the kind of loads that require a heavy hitting server, colocating with Mac just seems much more up my alley. I guess you might say that it's not so much that my current set up isn't good enough for me; more like I'm not good enough for it. Also, after the initial expenditure, for the same bandwidth and storage space, I'll save significant $$ after the first year for what I'll be doing.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by indychris View Post
I know there's no guarantee that the platform will be supported in 3-4 years, but a new release now would at least put my mind at ease a bit.

Ultimately, I guess I'm curious if Apple's failure to release a new Mini has altered the confidence of those "in the know" that something new may be coming down the pike. Some folks were suggesting with almost 100% certainty that a new MM would be released on the 7th. That obviously didn't occur.

As another issue, some have suggested that a new Mini, when released, may not utilize a C2D processor, but might actually use something with less power than the current model.
If you buy a Mac mini with AppleCare today, Apple will support your computer for 3 years even if they discontinue the line tomorrow. Since you're not making a major investment in Mac mini specific hardware (the colo company owns the racks and you're just leasing) or software there's no risk of losing support in the next 3 years.

Based on historical update trends and Intel's release/price drop schedule, it's reasonable to expect the line to be updated or dumped about now. But anyone who knows what Apple is going to do hasn't said yet.

It's possible that Apple will switch from Core 2 to Atom with the next Mac mini release, but even after that announcement you'll still be able to buy the current Core 2 Mac mini.

indychris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2009, 01:10 PM

If you buy a Mac mini with AppleCare today, Apple will support your computer for 3 years even if they discontinue the line tomorrow. Since you're not making a major investment in Mac mini specific hardware (the colo company owns the racks and you're just leasing) or software there's no risk of losing support in the next 3 years.

Based on historical update trends and Intel's release/price drop schedule, it's reasonable to expect the line to be updated or dumped about now. But anyone who knows what Apple is going to do hasn't said yet.

It's possible that Apple will switch from Core 2 to Atom with the next Mac mini release, but even after that announcement you'll still be able to buy the current Core 2 Mac mini.
Thanks for the help, folks. I'm thinking I'll sit still for a few more weeks and see if any news comes along. Hopefully a new C2D will be released or something even better, but if it's discontinued or released with the Atom, I'll likely snatch up one of the current model.

Thanks again. You've been very helpful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules