Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Epson stylus 740

Epson stylus 740
OzTiBook
Apr 25, 2002, 10:59 PM

I see Epson still havent released a driver for the Stylus colour 740 -- is there anyway I can print to this (network) printer under X? I though OS X let you "print easy" ... Hmmmm.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Apr 25, 2002, 11:17 PM

Stylus 740 has been working for me since day one!
Are you susre you installed the Printer drivers?
Check it out, they are available.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

mindwaves
Apr 26, 2002, 12:40 AM

I have an Epson 740i and it has worked since day one also.

raferx
Senior User
Apr 26, 2002, 12:51 AM

740 is in the standard OS X printer driver package.
Cheers,
raferx

OzTiBook  (op)
Apr 26, 2002, 03:44 AM

Thanks everyone, i guess i've been doing something wrong. I'll give it another go.

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2002, 04:59 PM

My brother had the same problem with the 740. He has since reformatted and install OS X twice, and still it doesn't work. He ended up breaking down and getting a cheap HP. I'm thinking that it's some type of hardware problem because I also have the 740 and it works fine.

Maybe it doesn't work with certain Mac's? I have a B&W G3/400, my brother has a Yikes G4/400. What do you have?

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

<steve>
Apr 26, 2002, 05:15 PM

my 740 is fine too, but i wish that the "printer tools" were available. the head alignment, and information on color quantity are pretty important tools.

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2002, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by &lt;steve&gt;:
<STRONG>my 740 is fine too, but i wish that the "printer tools" were available. the head alignment, and information on color quantity are pretty important tools.</STRONG>
I have something called "Epson Printer Utility". It came with my Photo 820, but it works with my old Colour 740 just fine. Perhaps it can be downloaded from Epson.

OzTiBook, it's odd that you are still having trouble with your 740. Mine has worked since OS X was released. 10.1 also solved occasional recognition problems I've had. Now it shows up every time. Do you have any problems trying to use it in Classic or OS 9? Perhaps there are other issues involved. Also, what do you mean by "network" printer? Have you tried plugging it in direct or do you need to access it through a network? What kind of network? When you try to add a printer in "Print Center", does it show up as unsupported/ unrecognised printer or not at all? Hopefully we can figure this out!

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Visnaut
Senior User
Apr 26, 2002, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by &lt;steve&gt;:
<STRONG>my 740 is fine too, but i wish that the "printer tools" were available. the head alignment, and information on color quantity are pretty important tools.</STRONG>
/Library/Printers/EPSON/Utilities/EPSON Printer Utility.app

This came with my regular install of 10.1 and works great with my 740i.

OzTiBook  (op)
Apr 27, 2002, 02:45 AM

Well, I just tried connecting it directly to my comptuer (powerbook g4), and sure enough it shows up in the printer list.

I use this printer through USB printer sharing (its connected to an iMac). Under 9, even classic, (on the ti book) it works fine, but I cant get it to show up in os X's EPSON AppleTalk or other menus in the print center...

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2002, 10:10 AM

Oh! Haven't you seen the endless griping? USB Printer Sharing does not work in OS X,as of 10.1. Everyone assumes (hopes?) it will come in 10.2.

If you want the 740 to be networkable, you can pick up a parallel-port Ethernet print server and print using this hacked driver, as discussed in this Apple support thread or this OS X hint. Works great for me.

Or you can just get yourself a truly networkable inkjet, like a 900N.

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: Mithras ]

OzTiBook  (op)
Apr 27, 2002, 11:08 PM

Well dont I feel stupid, thanks for letting me know. I just assumed it would work when I saw Epson network options in the print center. I cant believe Apple released 10.1 without this!

Forum Links
Forum Rules