Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Poisoned 0.3 very cool

Poisoned 0.3 very cool (Page 2)
Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by superfula:
Please quit attacking people
People? No, just one person who is coming off as a major hypocrite.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Jul 24, 2003, 01:56 AM

Can't we just get ALONG?!?
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 24, 2003, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by moofman:
mlMac is good overall, but it constantly severes my internet connection for some reason.
Ditto. Although, I restart my cable modem, not the computer.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 06:12 AM

mlnet/mldonkey doesn't kill my internet, but it does kill MSN Messenger's connection. Just another reason to use Poisoned for FastTrack downloads (and Gnutella, too - though Acquisition does have a better interface, I prefer using Poisoned).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2003, 10:09 AM

Can anyone give me a link that describes the icons. Couldn't find that anywhere, and would appreciate it.

Thanks,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 24, 2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
No really you hypocrite. Tell us what you use poison for.

Don't avoid the question, you seem to be so richeous and high and mighty in the lounge.

Are you saying you steal now?
I do? You mean me saying I am no better than anyone else in here makes me righteous?

The only illegal mp3s I have on my HD, are ones you cannot buy at a store.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 24, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
People? No, just one person who is coming off as a major hypocrite.
Please tell me how I am a hypocrite? Me saying I am a sinner just like everyone else makes me a hypocrite?

ambush
Banned
Jul 24, 2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I do? You mean me saying I am no better than anyone else in here makes me righteous?

You ****ing sinner. Thou shall be burnt by thy flames of Hell.

Originally posted by Apfhex:
mlnet/mldonkey doesn't kill my internet, but it does kill MSN Messenger's connection. Just another reason to use Poisoned for FastTrack downloads (and Gnutella, too - though Acquisition does have a better interface, I prefer using Poisoned).
Anything can kill MSN Messenger's connection. It sucks so much.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 24, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
You ****ing sinner. Thou shall be burnt by thy flames of Hell.
Now they can actually claim someone in this forum said this.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2003, 11:50 PM

That makes it ok? You even call them illegal and in the lounge you said:

1) How do I even know you use Poison.
2) Poison can be used to download things that are not illegal.

Man you are cheese.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 25, 2003, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
That makes it ok? You even call them illegal and in the lounge you said:

1) How do I even know you use Poison.
2) Poison can be used to download things that are not illegal.

Man you are cheese.
I never said I was using them either way. I was just pointing out your assumptions you were calling facts.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2003, 01:57 AM

I never said I was using them either way. I was just pointing out your assumptions you were calling facts.
My facts are direct quotes from what you said. Point that out champ.

You want some water to wash that foot down with?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 08:32 AM

downloaded and tried it last night, very nice

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 08:55 AM

I still cease to see how downloading MP3s is stealing. It would seem this is only a copyright issue... and at that the copyright only seems to apply to people sharing music.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 25, 2003, 09:46 AM

My facts are direct quotes from what you said. Point that out champ.

You want some water to wash that foot down with?

No no no sir, you assumed before there was facts to point out.

Nice try.

BTW I download stuff like the Tron movie. I have it on VCR, but want to get some screen grabs of it.

Happy now?

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2003, 10:54 AM

No no no sir, you assumed before there was facts to point out.

Nice try.

BTW I download stuff like the Tron movie. I have it on VCR, but want to get some screen grabs of it.

Happy now?
I'mnot going to get on a high horse here, cause I've got 40gigs of mp3's on my hard drive, and own none of them; but.... you do realise that by downloading Tron, or any other copyrighted material is illegal?, ok, you do know that by downloading it, you are supporting the pirates out there, feeding into that loop of illegal stuff, and becoming a part of that network of people who illegally share copyrighted, and protected media?

I'm not saying it's wrong, I do it all the time, but you can't use that argument above to justify it. I think.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2003, 11:49 AM

These are some of the most ridiculous excuses and arguments I have ever seen. If you download music, movies, programs, etc. from ANY file-sharing P2P network and you don't legally own what you downloaded, it is illegal. PERIOD. There are no excuses, no exceptions. The only reason I see to download something LEGALLY off P2P is like the Tron movie mentioned above - he owns the movie on VCR and wants to take screen grabs. If you have a CD, you can make your own MP3's. If you have the program, you can burn yourself a backup copy. Can we quit this childish excuse making and get BOT.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 25, 2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by bamburg dunes:
I'mnot going to get on a high horse here, cause I've got 40gigs of mp3's on my hard drive, and own none of them; but.... you do realise that by downloading Tron, or any other copyrighted material is illegal?, ok, you do know that by downloading it, you are supporting the pirates out there, feeding into that loop of illegal stuff, and becoming a part of that network of people who illegally share copyrighted, and protected media?

I'm not saying it's wrong, I do it all the time, but you can't use that argument above to justify it. I think.
I am not really trying to justify it. I am saying 95% of the stuff I am downloading, I have a hard copy of. I have no means to say, import the Tron movie that I DO own into my computer. So, yes, I have payed for a original copy.

What the two "Wonder Twins" are doing is just trolling. They don't care if what I am doing is wrong or not. Just lame personal attacks. They can't help themselves.

The only reason I see to download something LEGALLY off P2P is like the Tron movie mentioned above - he owns the movie on VCR and wants to take screen grabs.

Exactly.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2003, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
...Tron movie mentioned above - he owns the movie on VCR and wants to take screen grabs.
Screen grabs is also illegal. Don't you ever read the FBI WARNING message that appear before every films?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 25, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Screen grabs is also illegal. Don't you ever read the FBI WARNING message that appear before every films?
They are? Well dang. I am doing something illegal. So you are right SWF I AM going to hell for using Poisoned!!1111! OMG!!!11

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2003, 02:33 PM

Everyone here that actually believes that Zimphire has NEVER downloaded an MP3 that he doesn't own raise there hands.

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2003, 02:42 PM

Who cares?

Anyways, why are there no settings for poisoned? It sucks my net connection to all hell and even slows down my system. Why can't I limit the upload speed or conections? I have 40k/sec being downloaded from me when I myself and only getting 5k/sec. That just needs to be fixed. There ought to be a law!
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2003, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Anyways, why are there no settings for poisoned? It sucks my net connection to all hell and even slows down my system. Why can't I limit the upload speed or conections?
because it's a beta?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 25, 2003, 05:54 PM

Who cares?
No one. The SWF can't control himself. He has no self control it seems. Which explains a lot.

CJM
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2003, 12:20 AM

LOOK!!! A DEAD HORSE! *THWAP* *THWAP* *THWAP*

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2003, 02:20 AM

Who cares?
I do, because it is funny to see a richeous, lying, hypocrite like Zimphire backpedal

I can't help myself! He is just so interesting and I think about him all day!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 26, 2003, 02:40 AM

I do, because it is funny to see a richeous, lying, hypocrite like Zimphire backpedal

All except I am none of those. Those are things you have projected onto me.

righteous? No, I have said many times I am no better than anyone else. Hypocrite? When have I ever said I wasn't a sinner? And I wasn't backpeddling.

I can't help myself! He is just so interesting and I think about him all day!
Naw, you are just insecure, and like to project your insecurities onto others to make you feel better about yourself. That is why you constantly disrupt topics such as this with your inane personal attacks.

Hey you have to get by somehow I guess.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 26, 2003, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by CJM:
LOOK!!! A DEAD HORSE! *THWAP* *THWAP* *THWAP*
Dead horse? or horseshit?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 26, 2003, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Horseshit!!!:
Dead horse? or horseshit?
I vote for the latter.

superfula
Senior User
Jul 26, 2003, 06:41 PM

If you own a hardcopy, you can make as many copies as you want...to keep in your possesion. The FBI warns against unauthorized copying...screen grabs do not fall under "unauthorized".

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 26, 2003, 07:15 PM

Ah, then I am A-OK.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2003, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by superfula:
If you own a hardcopy, you can make as many copies as you want...to keep in your possesion. The FBI warns against unauthorized copying...screen grabs do not fall under "unauthorized".
Wrong.

You can only use them for educational purpose. If you are not student, you'd have to ask owner for written permission.

For your information: Making many copies for backup purpose is okay = myth.
( Last edited by Adam Betts; Jul 26, 2003 at 07:42 PM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 27, 2003, 03:46 AM

I think it's legal to make a backup copy of a VCR tape. I surely hope it is. Otherwise it would be ridiculous. Just like it's legal to make backups of CDs.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2003, 05:56 PM

I think it's legal to make a backup copy of a VCR tape. I surely hope it is. Otherwise it would be ridiculous. Just like it's legal to make backups of CDs.
Ask your minister.

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2003, 06:22 PM

ANYWAY...

Regardless of the mindless trolling going on in this thread, I'm a little confused about something Poisoned may have done to my system.

When I first got it, it worked fine. More than fine, actually. Really fcuking awesome is more appropriate. I honestly was in shock.

But anyway, it slowed my computer to sh*t. It barely wasn't even usable. The thing is, this was when Poisoned wasn't running. I can understand that some programs can be CPU hogs, but even when I was just running the Finder, my computer was unusable. I rebooted (goodbye 33 day uptime) and launched Poisoned again. Same problem. Rebooted, trashed Poisoned, and everything's back to normal.

How is this possible? Did it do something so bad that my system was affected even when it wasn't running?

Well, it still was a great program, so I'm probably gonna check back at v. 0.5 or 6.

ambush
Banned
Jul 27, 2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
ANYWAY...

Regardless of the mindless trolling going on in this thread, I'm a little confused about something Poisoned may have done to my system.

When I first got it, it worked fine. More than fine, actually. Really fcuking awesome is more appropriate. I honestly was in shock.

But anyway, it slowed my computer to sh*t. It barely wasn't even usable. The thing is, this was when Poisoned wasn't running. I can understand that some programs can be CPU hogs, but even when I was just running the Finder, my computer was unusable. I rebooted (goodbye 33 day uptime) and launched Poisoned again. Same problem. Rebooted, trashed Poisoned, and everything's back to normal.

How is this possible? Did it do something so bad that my system was affected even when it wasn't running?

Well, it still was a great program, so I'm probably gonna check back at v. 0.5 or 6.
My guess is that you're running short on hard disk space.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but giFT will create huge temp files.

ambush
Banned
Jul 27, 2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Skywalkers new Hand:
Everyone here that actually believes that Zimphire has NEVER downloaded an MP3 that he doesn't own raise there hands.
Satan is tempting him

allap
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2003, 07:08 PM

I thought it was mldonkey that reserved a block of memory corresponding to the files you want to download before they were done, not gift.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 27, 2003, 09:09 PM

If you have a slow computer, and have lots of bandwidth going both ways, it will slow your computer down.

RGB
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2003, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
ANYWAY...

Maybe the giFT daemon was still running in the background?

decursive
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2003, 02:34 AM

For your information: Making many copies for backup purpose is okay = myth.
ummm... no. fair use entitles you to do whatever you bloody want with what you own. if making a hundred backup copies of something makes you happy, you can freely do so. giving them out or using them to generate profit makes it illegal.
= decursive =

lemondrop
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2003, 03:05 AM

Who cares?

Anyways, why are there no settings for poisoned? It sucks my net connection to all hell and even slows down my system. Why can't I limit the upload speed or conections? I have 40k/sec being downloaded from me when I myself and only getting 5k/sec. That just needs to be fixed. There ought to be a law!
You can use Carrafix to limit your upload speed to specific ports. Link

Maybe the person uploading the file to you is on dial-up or uploading to multiple people at 5k per sec.
Could care less about tact..

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2003, 03:14 AM

Anyone want to send me a copy of 10.3 when they buy it so I don't have to?
haha
omG! NO!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2003, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by decursive:
ummm... no. fair use entitles you to do whatever you bloody want with what you own. if making a hundred backup copies of something makes you happy, you can freely do so. giving them out or using them to generate profit makes it illegal.
Will FBI believe you if they found 100 copies of something and you said it's for backup purpose?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 28, 2003, 03:52 AM

I think he was exaggerating a bit.

I don't think the FBI will care if I have a copy of Tron on my shelf, and a copy in my computer.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2003, 10:37 AM

does anyone have the earlier version, 0.3,?
this 3.11 stall my airport/internet connection just like mlmac does dammit
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2003, 03:27 PM

I think he was exaggerating a bit.

I don't think the FBI will care if I have a copy of Tron on my shelf, and a copy in my computer.
Does downloading the beta's of 10.3 count as stealing then?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 5, 2003, 03:35 AM

WHY CAN'T I...

play the mp3 file as it's downloading (to preview it) like I can in Acquisition?

this bugs me, and unless I'm missing something, grrrr... makes me mad.

I'm using version 0.4
ice

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by IceEnclosure:
WHY CAN'T I...

play the mp3 file as it's downloading (to preview it) like I can in Acquisition?

this bugs me, and unless I'm missing something, grrrr... makes me mad.

I'm using version 0.4
You can. You just have to set where the temp directory is so that you can find the MP3s while downloading. Poisoned is really stupid about launching files.

Edit: Hey this is the devil's post. post count 666.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 10:24 AM

I believe that US court ruling states that fair use is one backup copy and moving that copy to different places (time and space shifting). I believe it is unclear if you can download mp3s of CDs you arleady own, but notice how the RIAA has yet to file suit against an individual for downloading since they have no way of knowing if people own the CDs and one could very easily go out and buy them if they are accused of downloading music illegally.

Forum Links
Forum Rules