Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Considering Switching To A White Macbook Over Black...Good Choice?

Considering Switching To A White Macbook Over Black...Good Choice?
PJJames
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2006, 03:36 AM

Hey guys,
I've been running it over in my head the past couple days. I've had 7 different Blackbooks now...the current one I have is having some problems, its flaking by the sleep light and the left speaker is distorting at the mid volume level. I figure that if I take my black one back, they'll override the restocking fee like they've been doing. What If I were to get a white 2.0ghz and upgrade the ram to 1 gig and the HD to an 80 gig, it'd be a little less then what my black one costs. Let me know what you guys think. Do they carry the ram sticks in store??? And the 80 gig HD's? Or would I have to order online?
Full Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered Rig.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2006, 08:21 AM

7? 7?! What was the problem with them all?

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 3, 2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
7? 7?! What was the problem with them all?
he posted a list somewhere. i think most were serious defects, not cosmetic. like trackpad not working, buttons perpetually stuck.

pj, with your desire for a perfect laptop (who wouldn't want one?) i would honestly say to go for the white one. there's a lot less possible things that be wrong (currently) cosmetically, as well as go wrong (in the future) in the future.

good luck!
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

masugu
Senior User
Jun 3, 2006, 09:48 AM

I was going to cave and buy my BlacBook today. Maybe I won't
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by masugu
I was going to cave and buy my BlacBook today. Maybe I won't
I think the people without problems with their BlackBooks far outweighs those who do.

I don't think a post that said "My MacBook Isn't Flaking HELP!" would be too interesting too read though.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2006, 11:41 AM

7? Whoa. But the color is just the shell. If most of the problems were hardware, a white will be just as prone.

My black one has been pretty good overall. Couple small things.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 3, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Heavy
7? Whoa. But the color is just the shell. If most of the problems were hardware, a white will be just as prone.

My black one has been pretty good overall. Couple small things.

What small things???
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

force838
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 12:50 PM

wow, seven different macbooks. that means 6 returns. i would've given up at 4

good luck with your white one. i've got a 1.83 white model and i love it. it's mooing right now as i type this, but really, i don't see what the big deal people are making it out to be. it's soooo faint. my refridgerator is making more noise in the other room.

allap
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2006, 12:53 PM

I bought a black macbook and to be honest I have no problems with it at all. It seems to me that the problems people have been reported are either not widespread or simply blown out of proportion. It does get hot after about an hour of use but it's no that bad, I just put it on a book on my lap. The top section is never that hot. As for the hissing, I noticed it the other day when using the computer alone in the house, but I had to strain to hear it really (I think it's the same one people are talking about since it went away after opening photobooth). Finally the flaking just seems to be isolated as I've had no problems with it, and the 4 machines I tried to scratch at the apple store held up nicely.

Anyways, just thought it would give some people peace of mind to know that not everyone is having problems with this machine.

MissViciousVixen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 07:58 PM

Hun,

Trust me. If these black little jewels are carmel color coated with black Teflon paint, you are gonna wanna stay away! At least until Rev. D.

Titanium PowerBook G4s were NOTORIOUS for bad paint jobs. It wasn't until the last build that I think they got it right. I owned a Rev. C Titanium and treated it with lace gloves and the damn thing still flaked and peeled. I believe part of it was due to the extreme heat these things gave off. If the current MacBooks have problems with heat, you are guaranteed to have paint problems.

Trust me. It isn't worth spending an extra $200 for black only to have it peeling and flaking 6 months from now. Talk about an Apple Screw Job.

Or, you can join on the Apple Fan Boy bandwagon and be in denial about it. I would just wait and see how it works out.

Loves!

Miss Vicious Vixen Mission Stardust
"I can't believe its not butter!"

PJJames  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2006, 09:47 PM

Well guys, I did it. And I'm very happy with the decision....didn't have to pay a restocking fee. And I feel a little more comfortable handling this one. Not so much worried about the finish. Black definatly looks cooler...white looks more like a Mac...but the black just isn't meant for traveling in my opinion. Check out some pics...

Full Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered Rig.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 09:51 PM

I gotta say when i picked up my iBook today It did have that "tougher" feeling to it. However I think it's only because the black one is still so new to me. I'm sure eventually I'll feel like I can beat the day lights out if it too, at least I hope so. I love abusing laptops, luckily they're not people or i'd be in jail.

Forum Links
Forum Rules