Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro Now withh 2.16 Ghz Core Duo!!!!

MacBook Pro Now withh 2.16 Ghz Core Duo!!!! (Page 2)
hldan
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
The Apple Store just went back up, and theres already a newer MBP - a 2.16 Ghz Model. For $300 though, not really worth it for the extra 166 mhz....

www.apple.com/store

You have to know how to make it cheaper. The MacBook 2.0Ghz comes with a 1GB Ram stick. You can configure it to have (2) 512 dimms for $100.00 less U.S. Now the 2.16Ghz upgrade will be offset and will now only cost $200.00 U.S.
I would do it in a heartbeat!!!
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Zyphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
You have to know how to make it cheaper. The MacBook 2.0Ghz comes with a 1GB Ram stick. You can configure it to have (2) 512 dimms for $100.00 less U.S. Now the 2.16Ghz upgrade will be offset and will now only cost $200.00 U.S.
I would do it in a heartbeat!!!
But that'd affect future upgradeability for those that want to hit 2GB.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2006, 10:31 PM

Apple's making a good margin on the $300 2.16Ghz upgrade... the wholesale price difference is $214.

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Oooo that is HARSH!! I agree, how can they update a machine that has not already shipped?! If I had an order on a 1.67 model, there would be no doubt about it that I would cancel it. I would suffer the extra waiting time, as I would not want an outdated machine as soon as I got it. SHAME ON YOU APPLE!
Originally Posted by ender78
I just called and was advised that they will NOT be upgrading the machines. That really pisses me off. TIme to cancel my order. How the HELL can they upgrade machines before they ship.
Your sense of entitlement is impressive. A month ago you felt $2k for 1.67Ghz was a good buy, and you bought. Technology moves on and you can't expect a company to stop upgrading after you decide to purchase.

Of course, you were misinformed, and you are in fact getting the faster model.

Originally Posted by inkhead
it's obvious that apple was just underclocking the chips and using samples lower rated samples. Now that they figured out that the batches they got work fine at 1.8 they decided to run with it instead of underclocking them to 1.67 (which is a speed intel never shipped)
Nonsense, Apple isn't under or overclocking any chips. You can't change the multiplier on an Intel chip, so they'd have to change the bus speed, which they haven't done.

Although it sounds like whatever ODM Apple is using for the MacBook Pro suddenly has a large stock of 1.67Ghz parts on hand.

Zyphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Although it sounds like whatever ODM Apple is using for the MacBook Pro suddenly has a large stock of 1.67Ghz parts on hand.
Hmmm.
Perhaps for the iBooks? Though those are supposed to be using Core Solo chips..

Maybe the 1.67 GHz chips are going to be put in the 13" MBPs. Traditionally the smaller notebooks will have slightly lowered processor speeds. Unfortunate for individuals like myself who want portability for half of the day and a decent desktop supplement for the other.

hldan
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Zyphere
But that'd affect future upgradeability for those that want to hit 2GB.

True, but I am just talking about the upfront price. By changing the configuration of the ram you end up with the same ram size for $100.00 less. Most people, even MacZealots, will buy a new computer and never upgrade the ram for several reasons, mostly because they are being cheap and lazy. So since many people are more apt to having the fastest processor it's more economical to have (2) 512 chips rather than 1GB. That being said, the 2.16Ghz upgrade will only cost $200.00.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

tklassnik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 09:03 AM

I think putting the 1.67 duo's in the ibooks would be quite outrageous. When paying a premium for a powerbook, i would expect a significant difference in spec from the other consumer models, it would reduce the powerbook sales hugely.......but thinking about alot of us will have ordered or received our new powerbooks anyway so sales for apple will be fine. We'll just be a bit peeved.
Macbook Pro 1.83ghz, 1.5gb RAM
and old Tibook 550mhz, 256 mb RAM

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 10:34 AM

why is it not in the UK?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
True, but I am just talking about the upfront price. By changing the configuration of the ram you end up with the same ram size for $100.00 less. Most people, even MacZealots, will buy a new computer and never upgrade the ram for several reasons, mostly because they are being cheap and lazy. So since many people are more apt to having the fastest processor it's more economical to have (2) 512 chips rather than 1GB. That being said, the 2.16Ghz upgrade will only cost $200.00.
You're not making a fair comparison.
From 2Ghz CPU and 1x1GB, the 2.1Ghz upgrade is $300.
From 2Ghz CPU and 2x512MB, the 2.16Ghz upgrade is $300.

Originally Posted by tklassnik
I think putting the 1.67 duo's in the ibooks would be quite outrageous. When paying a premium for a powerbook, i would expect a significant difference in spec from the other consumer models, it would reduce the powerbook sales hugely.......but thinking about alot of us will have ordered or received our new powerbooks anyway so sales for apple will be fine. We'll just be a bit peeved.
Outrageous that those miserable people who can't afford to blow $2k+ on a MBP would actually get a modern competitive CPU. They should be moved back to G3s!
Never mind that the MBP has a better video card, bigger screen, more pixels, dual link DVI, and a metal case.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 02:24 PM

Simply put, Apple doesn't want to screw you. They'd rather give you a machine with a measly 1GB of RAM in one stick than fill both slots with 512s. Maybe not everyone will upgrade the RAM, but it's so easy and most will need it over the useful life. Why throw away 1GB later?
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Outrageous that those miserable people who can't afford to blow $2k+ on a MBP would actually get a modern competitive CPU. They should be moved back to G3s!
Never mind that the MBP has a better video card, bigger screen, more pixels, dual link DVI, and a metal case.
Nothing wrong with the CPU being relatively close to spec. The iBook will have other shortcomings, like probably offered with only a CD-RW/DVD player (and not DVD writer), 64MB video card, 512MB RAM, smaller screen and/or less pixel density, and other stuff.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 02:43 PM

If you had $2500 plus to spend when you ordered what you thought was the top of the line at 1.83GHz whats $300 more for the 2.16Ghz. That is the way I see it.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2006, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by moodymonster
why is it not in the UK?
I wondered that too...

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by GreenwoodMO
If you had $2500 plus to spend when you ordered what you thought was the top of the line at 1.83GHz whats $300 more for the 2.16Ghz. That is the way I see it.
My feelings too. I just couldn't stand the additional wait time and probably won't notice the speed difference for what I do so I stuck with the 2GHz. If only I had a little more patience...

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by tklassnik
Has any one considered an upper-end Mac Mini with the 1.67 duo? (wouldn't that be sufficient to playback HD content? )

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 05:33 PM

Oops, posted in wrong thread. Sorry!
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Michael Jolly
Feb 15, 2006, 06:22 PM

For those in the UK the stores been updated and we now have 2.16GHZ Macbook pro just thought you would like to know
Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ 13inch, LED Cinema Display, Iphone 4G 32gb and Ipad 64gb Wifi

Apple addict Since 2004

Forum Links
Forum Rules