Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ?

Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ? (Page 11)
hollywd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2004, 06:47 PM

FYI, the KoP store has already sold out their first round of 2.5's... they're expecting round 2 in the next couple weeks.

I'm actually relieved, if they had them, I'd have to decide if I wanted to pay the 6% sales tax, or just keep waiting for my DE reseller (tax free).

So what of all the people who received the 8/20 email? That's tomorrow...

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 09:14 PM

i received a tracking number from my canadian reseller today....mine is on the way!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

kloda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2004, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the info on the KofP store inventory. Mine's an education order so I guess it might be easier to simply wait the two weeks.

Pity we won't see the Pittsburgh store until November. I wouldn't mind getting a computer there and possibly taking in a Pirates game. Since I was at the King of Prussia store grand opening, I'll try to make it to that one. Maybe I'll buy an iPod then.

Congrats to those who are getting theirs. Looks like the pipeline is starting to really open up.

Klaatuu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2004, 09:56 PM

Dual 2.5 w/9800XT 8x512MB Mac OS X server ordered 6/12/2004 4:15PM PST. Original date 7/31 now 8/20, tomorrow?

I've been through this before with Apple and have come to expect it. Seeing others get theirs first is still hard, though.

Anytime before the first frost on Long Island would be nice. I need the machine to keep me warm.

scottnichol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 06:08 AM

is it me, or isn't today a big ship day for many awaiting G5/2.5s? mine was pushed back to 8/20 and haven't heard anything since 7/30 when everything was pushed out. it'd be nice if we all got shipping notices today, but like others i'm not holding my breath.

by the way, with respect to the KoP store, i was just there last night and a rep there told me they've still got 1 G5/2.5 stock config in stock. get it if you need it.
scott nichol
mac:method - simply powerful software for mac os x
http://www.macmethod.com

scottnichol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 08:11 AM

ugh. just checked my order status this morning and i'm pushed back until 9/27/2004 now. another 5 weeks? my local apple retail store has one in stock that nobody seems to want! it just doesn't have the 9800 video card that i custom ordered.

anyone know if (perchance) i was able to manage picking up the stock 2.5 at KoP, would i be able to get a retail 9800XT or nvidia 6800 kit later on when they start shipping? maybe that's the best option for now.
scott nichol

klaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 08:13 AM

I'd try to call Apple to see if it is delayed or not, cause the online tracking system malfunctions sometime.

Call em and report back, i'd say

kloda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 08:55 AM

Scott,

If it were me and I saw a changed status to 9/27, I'd drive the 3 or so hours to KofP. I'm scared I'll walk out with more than a G5.

State College needs an Apple Store. A CompUSA would suffice.

I think I'll be patient and wait to my 9/8 ETA then get impatient and make the trip.

FlammableYurt
Aug 20, 2004, 11:04 AM

I just went to an Apple store by me and picked up a G5. I'm going off to college in three days and I'd probablybe without a computer for far too long. I guess I'll just upgrade the video card when the 6800 becomes readily available and get a new harddrive when I start to run low on space... My 2 GB of ram should arrive any minute now :-).
I've been so many places, I've seen so many faces, and these blue, green, and purple HILLS

saltines17
Senior User
Aug 20, 2004, 11:13 AM

Got my big shiny 2.5GHz G5 from the Palisades Mall in West Nyack, NY.

Now I have to find some RAM and another HD.

scottnichol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 12:33 PM

just spoke with a nice lady at the ADC store. she was very sympathetic, but assured me that all the parts were available for production and i should expect a shipment notification "early next week". she told me that if i didn't hear anything by wednesday that i should call her back.

so, while i'm not exactly holding my breath yet, i'm feeling a little more reassured. it's getting close... i can feel it!
scott nichol

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2004, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by scottnichol:
just spoke with a nice lady at the ADC store. she was very sympathetic, but assured me that all the parts were available for production and i should expect a shipment notification "early next week". she told me that if i didn't hear anything by wednesday that i should call her back.

so, while i'm not exactly holding my breath yet, i'm feeling a little more reassured. it's getting close... i can feel it!
Did you make sure she understood it had a 6800 video card? If so, it's really exciting that these cards might be shipping out by next week.

I'm still skeptical, though.

scottnichol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Did you make sure she understood it had a 6800 video card? If so, it's really exciting that these cards might be shipping out by next week.

I'm still skeptical, though.
umm, let's be clear here. i didn't order one with an NVidia 6800 card, mine has the ATI 9800XT card.
scott nichol

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2004, 02:30 PM

umm, let's be clear here. i didn't order one with an NVidia 6800 card, mine has the ATI 9800XT card.
Whoops. I must have upside-down dyslexia. I read 9800 as 6800 in your previous post.

Klaatuu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 03:46 PM

Boy, posting on this forum really works.

I just got a shipping number from Apple. No machine yet, but it's on its way. Wow.

Gary Palter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 03:54 PM

I also have a developer order which was changed today from 8/20 to 9/27. After reading your post, I decided to call the ADC store to see what they had to say. The gentleman with whom I spoke told me that my order had been "acknowledged by manufacturing". He then went on to say that he was told that developer orders in that state "should ship by the end of next week".

We'll see...

jsaulman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 07:47 PM

My ship date is not until 9/14...

Mac_Jedi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 08:00 PM

Pushed back from August 20th to the 30th.

I need this for my job, this is getting very upsetting.
-Jedi

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2004, 09:18 PM

On a whim I called a small, local Authorized Apple sales and service store. Imagine my surprise when the guy went to the stockroom to humor me and came back to the phone saying "I don't believe it but we have one in stock." Needless to say it is not in stock any longer! They are out there! You just have to find the needle in a haystack! Tried to call Apple online store to cancel my order. Guess what! No way I'm waiting 59 minutes on hold to try to cancel! Next time I call it will probably be pushed into September for my wait on the phone! Good luck to all!
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

bob_hearn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Mac_Jedi:

Same here. Original ship date was supposed to be 7/30. This time, I asked them to please upgrade my shipping for free. No response yet...

Bob

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2004, 10:12 PM

may people that are getting the aug 30 date will apparently have theirs shipped very early next week, or at least that is what they are told when they call for more details....hang in there, it's coming.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Mac_Jedi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 11:02 PM

When I called they told me I should just wait until Aug 30th. We'll see what happens. Once the date slipped they upgraded me to next day shipping without my asking.

If it slips again the order gets canceled and I get a dell. I sent them an email telling them that much. It will make my IT guys happier at least.
-Jedi

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 21, 2004, 12:13 AM

I saw this elsewhere on the net...

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for ordering the new Power Mac G5 with NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics card. Due to an unexpected delay, we cannot meet your estimated August 31st ship date.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we’d like to get your order to you as quickly as possible. In order to do so, we will configure and ship your G5 with an ATI Radeon 9600 XT w/128MB SDRAM card by September 3rd so that you can begin to enjoy your new PowerMac. Additionally, we will send an NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics Card Stand-Alone Kit by September 17th. There will be no additional cost to you.

If this solution is acceptable to you, no further action is necessary.

If you plan to use your new system with an Apple 30” Cinema HD Display that only works with the NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics card or you would like your system to ship with the NVidia card installed, please reply to [email protected] so that we can process your order accordingly. If you choose this option, we expect to ship your G5 order by September 13th. Please rest assured that we fulfill all orders in the order they are received.

There is no need to contact us if the solution specified above is acceptable.

Contacting us is easy:

By email: Forward this note to [email protected] and check the option below.

____ Please ship my system with the NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics card installed by September 13th. My order number is W______________.

____ Please cancel my order. My order number is W______________.

By telephone: Please call 800-676-2775, extension 55850, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. central time and Saturday and Sunday between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. central time.

Sincerely,
The Apple Store Team

limpbizkit69dz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2004, 02:00 AM

Oh man. That's crazy, so I don't really believe it. But I really hope my ship date of Sept. 3rd stands (i know it won't)

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2004, 03:54 AM

I received the same email as Eug Wanker. Too bad. I expected it, though. This is Apple after all. Apple doesn't know the meaning of shipping on time for a new product. I still have a ship time of late August, but I think that will change.
http://www.moveonplease.org/

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2004, 08:17 AM

Hi All,
I ordered a 2.5 w/6800, and my on or before date is 20/9/04. So it looks like the 6800 is part of the reason why the 2.5's haven't been shipping.
Oh well at least the 23"LCD that I ordered is coming in tomorrow.

silver
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

discstickers
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2004, 09:27 AM

To people that got those emails:
1) what was your order date
2) what speed was your G5?

I didn't get one... I have a 2.0 and I ordered on 8/12. My shipping date is still 8/31.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

limpbizkit69dz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2004, 12:03 PM

I'm pretty sure everone has 2.5s ordered in this thread...

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 12:22 PM

That e-mail is a relief. September 13th isn't too bad. I was starting to get really worried that they wouldn't ship until October.

NewSwitcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2004, 12:56 PM

People,

good news. We got an e-mail yesterday our G5 has shipped. Again, we ordered June 15th, 1GB RAM, 250 GB HD, 9600XT. We will now enjoy the Mac World. I hope everyone get theirs soon.

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2004, 01:19 PM

I also received the above quoted e-mail.

I ordered my dual G5 2.5 on 6/9 spec'ed with a Radeon 9800XT. I changed that order to the GeForce 6800 on 6/29. FYI.

This e-mail arrived yesterday, 8/20. The e-mail I received is quoted below:

Dear Apple Customer,
__
Thank you for ordering the new Power Mac G5 with NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics card. Due to an unexpected delay, we cannot meet your estimated August 31st ship date.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we�d like to get your order to you as quickly as possible. _In order to do so, we will configure and ship your G5 with an ATI Radeon 9600 XT w/128MB SDRAM card by September 3rd so that you can begin to enjoy your new PowerMac. _Additionally, we will send an NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics Card Stand-Alone Kit by September 17th. _There will be no additional cost to you.

If you plan to use your new system with an Apple 30� Cinema HD Display that only works with the NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics card or you would like your system to ship with the NVidia card installed, please reply to [email protected] _so that we can process your order accordingly. If you choose this option, we expect to ship your G5 order by September 13th. _Please rest assured that we fulfill all orders in the order they are received.

There is no need to contact us if the solution specified above is acceptable. _

Contacting us is easy:

By email: _Forward this note to [email protected] and check the option below. _
_
____ _Please ship my system with the NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics card installed by September 13th. _My order number is W______________.

____ _Please cancel my order. My order number is W______________.
__
By telephone: _Please call 800-676-2775, extension 55850, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. central time and Saturday and Sunday between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. central time.
__
Sincerely,
The Apple Store Team

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

Gary Palter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2004, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by Gary Palter:
I also have a developer order which was changed today from 8/20 to 9/27. After reading your post, I decided to call the ADC store to see what they had to say. The gentleman with whom I spoke told me that my order had been "acknowledged by manufacturing". He then went on to say that he was told that developer orders in that state "should ship by the end of next week".

We'll see...
Well, he was right ...

I just received my shipment notification email!

Guess I won't be going to the office for a few days next week...

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 02:10 PM

If it makes you guys feel any better, the x86 side of things isn't any better right now - neither the GeForce 6800 Ultra nor the X800 XT is available in any kind of reasonable quantity right now, and haven't been since they were announced. If I were in the position where I just had to get a GeForce 6800 in a PowerMac, I'd get a stock PowerMac and then wait for the upgrade card (like that Apple e-mail suggests). The only reason one would absolutely need the 6800 right away is for that 30" display.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

unregistered
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by Gary Palter:
Well, he was right ...

I just received my shipment notification email!

Guess I won't be going to the office for a few days next week...
When did you place your AD� order? Which video card did you get?

limpbizkit69dz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2004, 03:39 PM

Damn...my ship date is 9/3/04 (origionaly 8/28 when I ordered on 7/26)...that's going to get pushed back for sure now...unless everyone chooses to wait it out for the geforce card (which I doubt)

Gary Palter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by unregistered:
When did you place your AD� order? Which video card did you get?
7/1, 9600XT

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2004, 06:11 PM

I just e-mailed Apple's "customer confirm" to tell them to keep the Radeon 9600XT and send me my dual G5 2.5 when it's ready to ship with GeForce 6800 Ultra installed, on or before Sept. 13th.

blakespot

konakazi
Aug 22, 2004, 01:58 AM

Anybody have luck with MacConnection yet?

I noticed today that when I went to check my order it says my number is invalid!

Hopefully this is just some glitch. I can't call them until Monday it seems.

Just another headache... wheeeee!

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
I saw this elsewhere on the net...

Dear Apple Customer,

Your satisfaction is important to us and we’d like to get your order to you as quickly as possible. In order to do so, we will configure and ship your G5 with an ATI Radeon 9600 XT w/128MB SDRAM card by September 3rd so that you can begin to enjoy your new PowerMac. Additionally, we will send an NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics Card Stand-Alone Kit by September 17th. There will be no additional cost to you.

If you plan to use your new system with an Apple 30�? Cinema HD Display that only works with the NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics card or you would like your system to ship with the NVidia card installed, please reply to [email protected] so that we can process your order accordingly. If you choose this option, we expect to ship your G5 order by September 13th. Please rest assured that we fulfill all orders in the order they are received.

There is no need to contact us if the solution specified above is acceptable.

Contacting us is easy:

By email: Forward this note to [email protected] and check the option below.

____ Please ship my system with the NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics card installed by September 13th. My order number is W______________.

____ Please cancel my order. My order number is W______________.

By telephone: Please call 800-676-2775, extension 55850, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. central time and Saturday and Sunday between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. central time.

Sincerely,
The Apple Store Team

I got the exact same one... Im doing it, what the hell... I wont miss the 6800 for a couple of months!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by blakespot:
I just e-mailed Apple's "customer confirm" to tell them to keep the Radeon 9600XT and send me my dual G5 2.5 when it's ready to ship with GeForce 6800 Ultra installed, on or before Sept. 13th.

blakespot
Well, do you think they are going to expect the 9600 back? I mean, if they don't that will be a nice piece of hardware to sell on ebay, no?
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2004, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
Well, do you think they are going to expect the 9600 back? I mean, if they don't that will be a nice piece of hardware to sell on ebay, no?
The 9600 is a freebie. To me it seems like a no brainer to take it, unless your only monitor will be the 30".

discstickers
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2004, 12:53 PM

I got the offer this morning on my ADC order.

I chose the 9600xt now. The sucky thing is, they list Sep 3 as the ship date (my quoted date was 8/31), but if you configure a 2.0 with a 9600, the ship time is 5-7 days.

Hopefully it'll go out then, not the 3rd.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

limpbizkit69dz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 07:39 PM

I'm actually pretty confident that my g5 is going to ship on schedule (9/3) because tons of people on macrumors have either cancelled their orders to get one from a retail store or have already recieved there orders.

I CAN'T WAIT woooo

bob_hearn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 10:26 PM

When I called they told me I should just wait until Aug 30th. We'll see what happens. Once the date slipped they upgraded me to next day shipping without my asking.
I asked, and they refused. Here's my reply to Apple:

Dear Apple Store Team,

The demand for this item has been incredible. We are shipping them as quickly
as possible, but cannot meet the ship date we previously estimated for you.
I fully appreciate that the faster chips are in short supply, and that they might take longer than expected to be received by Apple. However, the demand for the new G5 machines here should be irrelevant - when I placed my order, Apple knew exactly how many orders were ahead of me. Why not simply admit to the manufacturing delays?

Thank you for your reply. We do apologize for any inconvenience but at this time we are not able to upgrade your shipping. Our commitment dates are just estimates. A shipment notification will be emailed to you at the time your order is shipped.
Your "commitment " dates are just "estimates"? Then they're not commitment dates, are they? This reminds me of when I was working at Claris, trying to finish ClarisWorks 2.0 on time. At one meeting we had to commit to certain dates with 90% confidence. When I expressed a bit of skepticism over the date, one manager informed me that "oh, the 90% date is when you think you have a 50/50 chance of being finished". It looks like the same logic still rules at Apple.

As I said, I understand that unexpected manufacturing delays can happen. However, at Apple this seems to be the rule rather than the exception, and failure to take the simplest of steps to keep customers happy, such as upgrading their shipping option, is just bad business. What's worse, an extra $20 expense, or a customer convinced that Apple's attitude is "get what you're given and be grateful"? Also, I have heard of other customers with the same dates having their shipping upgraded, without even asking.

Sincerely,
Bob Hearn
(co-author of ClarisWorks)

To check order status, visit our web site at <http://www.apple.com/orderstatus>.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

The Apple Store Team

REQUEST ------------------------------------------------------------------------

_X__ Please ship my Power Mac G5 by August 30th. My order number is
W8727346.
____ Please cancel my Power Mac G5 order. My order number is
W_________.

Please note that you have now slipped my ship date twice, by a total of
a month. As a slight compensation, may I request that you at least
upgrade my shipping option at no extra cost?

Thank you,
Bob Hearn

---------------------------------------------
Robert A. Hearn
http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bob/

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2004, 02:34 PM

Heh, that's funny. You're trying to have a meaningful conversation with "The Apple Store Team."

Got any more?

blakespot

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2004, 02:50 PM

The order status page for my order at Apple had, in red text:

" PLEASE CALL US REGARDING YOUR ORDER AT 800-676-2775 EXT-55850. "

...and upon closer inspection they split my G5 order into two pieces:

2.5DPG5 CTO Z0AC On or before 08/31/2004
$3,149.00

[clip - contains 9600XT now]

NVIDIA GEF 6800 ULTRA DDL CARD-GEN M9593G/A On or before 10/29/2004
$450.00
Called them and they est. "by 9/3" for shipping on the G5 w/ Radeon 9600XT. Look at the date on the GeForce 6800...

blakespot

bob_hearn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 04:52 PM

Heh, that's funny. You're trying to have a meaningful conversation with "The Apple Store Team."

Got any more?

blakespot
Yes, their reply:

As a one-time exception to our sales and refunds policy, the shipping method on your order has been upgrade due to the delay.
- Bob

discstickers
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2004, 09:36 PM

Called them and they est. "by 9/3" for shipping on the G5 w/ Radeon 9600XT. Look at the date on the GeForce 6800...

blakespot
They still haven't updated my order, 36 hours and 3 calls later. That and the continue to swear up and down that my G5 will ship by 9/3, and the 6800 by 9/17.

konakazi
Aug 24, 2004, 10:09 PM

Happy day!

It looks like the charge is going through on my card and my order with MacConnection has moved from "back ordered" to "open"!

Everything's turning up Milhouse!

kcourt
Aug 25, 2004, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by konakazi:
Happy day!

It looks like the charge is going through on my card and my order with MacConnection has moved from "back ordered" to "open"!

Everything's turning up Milhouse!
I called MacConnection a few hours ago about my order (ordered 6/29 and date has changed three times) and they told me I will probably get it by the middle of September.

I know I was about #40 when I first ordered. When did you order?

Kathy

Forum Links
Forum Rules