Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Applying Jag themes in Panther beta?

Applying Jag themes in Panther beta?
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 02:59 AM

I was wondering if anyone has had luck installing Jag themes in Panther? I've heard it's posable to apply Jag themes in Panther, and Smooth Stripes doesn't look half bad.
I at least would like to get rid of the awful widgets in Panther... Ok I know they may look strange if it's not an aqua based theme.

So I'm wondering how safe it is to apply a jag theme in panther? Would theme fur be helpful? Use Duality 4 or Themechanger?

Thanks!
click one

Vi0
Baninated
Jul 17, 2003, 05:42 AM

I like the Panther widgets and overall theme very much. Apple got it right this time. But smoothstripes would be a cool alternate theme, if Max modifies its source for Panther.

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 12:56 AM

Well since no one seemed to have any info on applying Jag themes in Panther, I just did it my self... I ran them though theme fur with the Panther Extras.rsrc, and it worked just fine!
I applied SSpro, everything looks great for the most part, the tabs need work and the finder windows need a little bit. Well here are some screens:

>>Full screen finder pic

The only real bug I've seen so far is the small menu bars are missing:

Porting Jag themes shouldn't be that hard it seems, and it shouldn't be a ton more extra work to make Panther themes.
click one

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 18, 2003, 01:57 AM

I've ported a variation of "Simple Aqua Dark" to panther.

This actually looks nice with the brushed metal.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 03:06 PM

Well that's definatly GOOD news Looks like if we ThemeFur our themes we don't have a TON of work to get them ported to Panther.

YAY!!! QNX for 10.3 now looks like I might make it happen

Mac Guru

swiz
GUI Punk
Jul 18, 2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
Well that's definatly GOOD news Looks like if we ThemeFur our themes we don't have a TON of work to get them ported to Panther.

YAY!!! QNX for 10.3 now looks like I might make it happen

Mac Guru
Yeah, ThemeFur will hopefully open some doors I thought I had closed.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 08:27 PM

Ya, I'm happy that I can run my favorite themes in Panther. Metal still seems to be a bit of a problem, and the rounded shadows don't help the look of square themes, but heck we aren't as bad off as we first though.

Oh a note on applying Jag themes in Panther: I applied just the Extras.rsrc to make sure I didn't mess anything up.
click one

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 08:50 PM

Well I had to try my favorite theme SS TuXedo:

Full screen
Tux looks great except a text color problem, it would seem ether Apple changed something in the color resources, or now you can't do anything other than black text... Though the hi-lighted menus do turn white, so it may just be a change in what resources change the text color. The metal texture even applied right!
click one

swiz
GUI Punk
Jul 18, 2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Well I had to try my favorite theme SS TuXedo:

Full screen
Tux looks great except a text color problem, it would seem ether Apple changed something in the color resources, or now you can't do anything other than black text... Though the hi-lighted menus do turn white, so it may just be a change in what resources change the text color. The metal texture even applied right!
Well for the most part I'll say Cool!!

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2003, 09:18 PM

Swiz, I hate for stalk you from thread to thread but you must know what pxm is making the grey areas next to my tabs in the previews on ResEx because you got them in yours. Any clue?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jul 19, 2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Swiz, I hate for stalk you from thread to thread but you must know what pxm is making the grey areas next to my tabs in the previews on ResEx because you got them in yours. Any clue?

Man, Im really not sure but I'll download your theme and have a look and see if I can figure it out.

Regarding Jag themes in Panther, I applied Studio Pro but the fact that the Finder refuses to use the Studio Pro brushed texture is just BS, it looks like ass. I sure hope Unsanity develops an APE that will make the Finder NOT brushed. I also tried to replace the column resize thumb and the new one would not appear, it was invisible. Maybe just a bug but I would think Apple is covering their ass some how to keep us from replacing stuff. Maybe the days of Apple checksumming their GUI pieces is at hand. Then we are stopped dead in our tracks. I for one love Panther and the GUI is totally useable so if that becomes the case I will be choosing Panther and Aqua over Jag and any theme I wish.

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2003, 07:01 PM

I wouldn't give up on themes just yet, but apple's metal and hard coded stuff is BS...
As for unsanity, I hear after some recoding APE is working fine in Panther other than the fast user switching messing it up, de-metallifizer should still work, I hope.
click one

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2003, 07:08 PM

damn, i just broke the finder, it wont start at all, kinda funny everything else is working... i could fix it if i could navagate to the back up extras i made :/

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Kujo:
damn, i just broke the finder, it wont start at all, kinda funny everything is working i could ifx it if i could navagate to the back up extras i made :/
Damn, how did you manage to do that? Did you apply the theme without running theme fur with the Panther Extras.rsrc, or did you apply more than just the Extras.rsrc?
I made a backup of my Finder though, so if I do break finder I can boot into Jag and fix it.
click one

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2003, 07:18 PM

ahh that was it.. i used themefur.. i did all of that right. but i couldnt replace the extras.. it said it was in use.. so i applied more then just the extras using theme changer. i didnt even think about the other stuff :/ opps!

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2003, 07:34 PM

I hope you didn't over write Jag with Panther then... Or you might be able to boot into OS 9 and fix it.
click one

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2003, 07:40 PM

yeah.. i am going to have to clean install :/ its not the end of the world.. my music is backed up on my ipod. i will lose a few icons i have no idea where to get tho :/ thats about it i think.

Mike the Knife
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2003, 10:54 PM

I have the same problem with the finder. There really is no way to just replace whatever file I overwrote? Anyone have a fix for this?

smeger
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2003, 12:53 AM

Try this:
  • Boot into single-user mode by starting up while holding cmd-S.
  • run the disk check by typing 'fsck -y'
  • mount the root filesystem read/write by typing 'mount -uw /'
  • restore ThemeChanger's backup by typing '/usr/bin/tcfix'
  • pray
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Wickedkitten
Jul 28, 2003, 02:35 PM

I just applied SS Chosen earlier today and managed to get rid of the brushed finder, so far only 2 themes manage to replace it.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2003, 07:03 PM

I wouldn't give up on themes just yet, but apple's metal and hard coded stuff is BS...
As for unsanity, I hear after some recoding APE is working fine in Panther other than the fast user switching messing it up, de-metallifizer should still work, I hope.
Seems to me it is Apple's OS and they can do what they want.

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 01:53 AM

Seems to me it is Apple's OS and they can do what they want.
But we buy it. It's a product made for consumers. It should have the features that the consumer wants, and we happen to want themes. But this topic is about porting Jag themes to Panther.

I can't wait to see how the official ports go.
click one

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow
Damn, how did you manage to do that? Did you apply the theme without running theme fur with the Panther Extras.rsrc, or did you apply more than just the Extras.rsrc?

I made a backup of my Finder though, so if I do break finder I can boot into Jag and fix it.

Forgive my stupidity. I'm new to this whole theme business (not new to OS X though by any means).

I run the extras.rsrc from the theme I want and the Panther extras.rsrc through ThemeFur.
I open the theme in ThemeChanger.

Here's where the stupidity comes in--
Do I only choose to replace extras.rsrc? That's kind of what the post I quoted makes it look like, but want to be sure so I don't FUBAR something.

cheers

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 03:31 PM

Well ya, I only apply the Extras.rsrc to make sure it doesn't mess with anything. I'm not a theme guru by any means, so I didn't know what can be applied other than the Extras.rsrc. I don't know, it may work to apply everything, but that would be taking a chance.
click one

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. I just went ahead and only changed the Extras.rsrc .

Will Previewing give you an idea of what will and won't work?
Bah, never mind I'll just experiment and hope for the best...

Wickedkitten
Jul 30, 2003, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by cybergoober:
Thanks for the reply. I just went ahead and only changed the Extras.rsrc .

Will Previewing give you an idea of what will and won't work?
Bah, never mind I'll just experiment and hope for the best...

previewing will just show the preview.tiff file that comes in the theme package.

I find that metamorphX seems to be a bit more stable when changing themes in panther than themechanger but thats just my mileage

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 09:54 PM

You should be using themechanger, and yes it WILL show you a preview window of the actual theme.
click one

Wickedkitten
Jul 31, 2003, 08:53 AM

You should be using themechanger, and yes it WILL show you a preview window of the actual theme.
I'm still a bit leery about using the preview in themechanger though because of the fact it actually installs the theme to give the preview

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 09:55 AM

I'm using the Panther Pro theme.

The preview didn't show me what I was looking for, but I bit the bullet and went ahead and installed the Menu Extras because the stock Apple ones apparently don't support transparency. Had to restart, though for it to load them but it worked fine (actually don't see why it shouldn't have though). I just didn't enable any of the stuff that modified the Login Window and such.

Thanks for the replies. My TiBook appreciates it

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 11:59 AM

Not a problem, that's why I started this topic.
click one

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2003, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Wickedkitten:
I'm still a bit leery about using the preview in themechanger though because of the fact it actually installs the theme to give the preview
Meh, that way it's giving you an actual real-time preview!

Forum Links
Forum Rules