Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Good game mice?

Good game mice?
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 02:36 PM

Hay I'm looking to get a new mouse along with UT2K4, any good suggestions for what kind I should get? I've got a friend at a Mac reseller who says he can get me any mouse in stock for about half off and he said this one is good and would be only $20 through him: http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/inpu.../icemouse.html Any reasons I shouldn't get that one, or why another is better?
click one

-Q-
Apr 5, 2004, 03:20 PM

I like this one myself. Great accuracy and a ton of buttons for customization.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2004, 01:43 AM

Though I am currently only a lowly PC gamer I would also recomend a logitech mouse. I personally use a MX700 (the on linked but wireless). I have been hearing great things about the newest one (MX510) which is of similar design but has a redish cover instead of silver. They use new higher rez sensors and are supposed to be top notch for gaming.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 02:08 AM

I have the MX700 and it is very precise. If you dont mind about cords though, just get the cheap one there.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2004, 09:00 AM

I personally use this mouse

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=6906

And Im very happy with it. Its fairly basic in terms of features - 2 buttons with a wheel (the wheel is a button too) and another configurable button also.

Excellent tracking of the optical eye (compared to an apple mouse or microsoft intellimouse optical anyway, which I used previously). Good value for money overall.
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2004, 02:08 PM

I've been using the Logitech MX900, but they are kind of pricey. Works well though...

lenox
Senior User
Apr 9, 2004, 10:31 PM

I use the logitech dual optical mouse. It's got two optical sensors that alternately send data, it's a bit bulkier than your usual mouse, but it has an extra button on the thumb as well and you can grip it tightly which is sometimes important for games

Argh, now that I look at their site, I can't seem to find it...guess it's outdated.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 10, 2004, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by gururafiki:
I've been using the Logitech MX900, but they are kind of pricey. Works well though...
i agree, i use this one for games because its bluetooth, and works great with my powerbook 12". although it you cant make the internet forward and back and app switch, which kinda sucks.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
i agree, i use this one for games because its bluetooth, and works great with my powerbook 12". although it you cant make the internet forward and back and app switch, which kinda sucks.
No, you can't, but I would rather have the extra buttons programed to take advantage of expose!

mac freak
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 04:56 PM

Frankly, you'll be fine with any 2-button, scroll wheel, optical mouse. The scroll wheels usually click, and I personally think that these 94-button 1200 foot range wireless optical supermice with time travel capacity are overkill
Be happy.

busket68
Banned
Apr 10, 2004, 10:09 PM

Optical mice are HORRID for FPS games. Get one with a ball. Sure, you have to clean them occasionally, but htey are MUCH BETTER than ANY optical mouse.

- Rob

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by busket68:
Optical mice are HORRID for FPS games. Get one with a ball. Sure, you have to clean them occasionally, but htey are MUCH BETTER than ANY optical mouse.

- Rob
Busket, I have to disagree. That used to be the case, but tracking has improved out of site with optical mice in the last year or so. And that applies to the microsoft, logitech and kensington range - all of their optical mice form the entry level up.

I wouldnt touch a ball mouse anymore....
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2004, 11:25 PM

Yeah, My M$ mouse never give me trouble...

They sure bought out a nice mouse maker

-Owl

Forte
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2004, 11:36 PM

I use an MS optical mouse for gaming, and it works fine. ;P

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Seconded. ;P

lenox
Senior User
Apr 12, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:

They didn't buy Logitech out. However, Logitech makes their mice ;-)

nforcer
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 04:43 PM

I use a Logitech MX500. It's the wired version of the MX700. I opted for it because it was cheaper, and I don't like to worry about battery charges.

I also use USB Overdrive so I can have a nice general configuration for all apps, and then specifically tune the mouse for some apps (including some games) that don't offer complete mouse configuration.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2004, 05:38 PM

I use an Intellimouse Explorer. Has perfect buttons for Expose too.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forte
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by lenox:
They didn't buy Logitech out. However, Logitech makes their mice ;-)
That explains it. ^^;;

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2004, 08:41 AM

I use a Logitech MX700, and for games its fantastic. 8 buttons plus wheel, and it tracks better than any optical or ball mouse I've ever used. And there is no lag whatsoever with the wireless system - my previous MS Intellemouse Wireless Explorer used to lag like hell.
And the Logitech drivers (for button config) have never given me one second of trouble on 10.2 or 10.3.x.
Good battery life too (and comes with rechargeables too)

I absolutely recommend the MX700, even over the MX900 Bluetooth - you still need the charger base with the MX900, so may as well just use the MX700 with full Mac support instead of the unsupported MX900.

The MX500 (corded version) is also just as good and a bit cheaper if you prefer a wired mouse.

-Q-
Apr 13, 2004, 02:53 PM

I second the recommendation for the MX700. After loving the MX500 I have at work, but wanting to try the wireless options at home, I picked up the MX700 (along with it's accompanying keyboard) and I've been very happy with it. Very responsive and it does get very good battery life.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 13, 2004, 11:55 PM

i havent had any trouble with the logitech either. its a great mouse. i have an mx900
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Forum Links
Forum Rules