Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Will you pay for Unsanity apps upgrades?

View Poll Results: Will you pay for Unsanity apps upgrades?
Poll Options:
Yes 46 votes (52.27%)
No 46 votes (52.27%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll
Will you pay for Unsanity apps upgrades?
ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2005, 09:57 PM

It looks like all the Gui community is depending on Unsanity. I think that Unsanity is an amazing company that never used their exclusivity on the Gui market for overcharging us. But it's fells like they are leaving some products behind (Xounds/Silk/Mighty Mouse).

So maybe it's time to give something back? Or maybe not.

Please vote.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 11:16 PM

I register Shapeshifter and Fruitmenu...make like purdy and simpler...maybe even a little Snappier too

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2005, 11:34 PM

[rant] If I paid for an app, I tend to think that's it. Why should I be forced to pay again (I know, not really forced b/c I don't have to if I really don't want to) but if I paid for it already, that means I like using the app but when there is an upgrade with new payment attached, you are forced to pay again to keep using it since the older version will no longer be supported in many cases. Pisses me off, is what it does. [/rant]

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2005, 12:01 AM

well they said we didnt have to pay for upgrades so no i dont think we should.

Makki
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 12:08 AM

Most certainly yes

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2005, 01:08 AM

I definitely won't be paying for any updates... I'll just pirate them all.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 01:10 AM

If they must charge, then I must pay. Great software that I'd rather not live without.
click one

jwill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2005, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by Rosyna:
Lol...that's honesty for ya..
I'm fine with the Unsanity products I have right now and would see no reason to pay for an upgrade, personally.
~ J-will

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2005, 02:36 AM

Gotta love it when they start pirating their own software...

Anyway, I'm a bit cheap and so I know that I can live without their products. Makes it all the easier to turn down the opportunity to upgrade since I never purchased it in the first place. If I have a product and the upgrade is significant enough though, I see no problem in paying an upgrade price, especially if it increases performance noticeably or adds a multitude of new or significant features.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

CrusaderSean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2005, 02:46 AM

willing to as long as the upgrades are major. minor upgrades (bug fixes etc..) without any new feature should be free i think.

Tarambana
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2005, 05:15 AM

If in the future, Jason keeps adding improvements at the same rate and they are of the same quality that what previous updates to SS have been bringing recently, I surely will pay for updates. After all, this product's quality has been growing extremely fast.

To the ones who wouldn't pay: There's no way at all a company can keep on business forever without ever charging for updates. Much less, seeing how small the mac user base is, as they would not possibly rely only on new users buying new copies of their software. Sooner or later they should ask for an upgrade price, mostly as the costs of maintenance, bug fixing, support and updating, keep on adding (specially in the mac world, where Apple so oftenly updates its own OS).

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by orangep0ny:

HytestA
Jan 8, 2005, 08:33 AM

I'll gladly pay for major updates, if its just a minor upgrade then I think it should be available as a freebie though.
Its the same as anything really, You only got to look at the OS itself, Apple upgrade it all the time, but when it comes to a major update then they charge for it and we pay up, no questions asked
You wouldnt complain to Porsche if you wanted to upgrade from old model 911 to the latest version saying 'I bought it already, I dont think I should pay again for the latest model.
End of the day Unsanity is a company and all companies need funding to continue trading.

But thats just the way I see it
...ill get my coat

cmove
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2005, 08:42 AM

Only for Shapeshifter

dru
Senior User
Jan 8, 2005, 12:03 PM

But it's fells like they are leaving some products behind (Xounds/Silk/Mighty Mouse).

So maybe it's time to give something back? Or maybe not.

Please vote. [/B]
Not a chance.

FYI, I own all three you mentioned. I'm not bitching.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

roam
Jan 8, 2005, 12:45 PM

Adobe wants me to pay for major updates; so does Apple. In that case, I' mok with paying for major updates to SS, or any other Unsanity app that costs money to buy.

It's only natural, and considering the actual amount, it's the least I can do for something that I would use every day, and get joy out of.

Fusion
Senior User
Jan 8, 2005, 02:12 PM

It depends on what type of upgrade.

If it is just a maintenance upgrade, bringing all current listed features up to code, making it work with the current OS build number, optimizing code, etc... then, no, I don't feel that warrants a paid upgrade. I tend to believe that when I am buying software, I am purchasing a program that does 'x' features at the time of purchase. It is then the developers responsibility (hopefully) to keep the software at least working with current machines.

If it is a feature upgrade, i.e. significant improvements have been made, the software does new things it could not in the past, etc... then I expect to shell out more money for it. The software now has 'y' features instead of 'x' (what I paid for). Anything such as free upgrades for life, cheaper upgrades for existing customers, beta-tester discounts, etc.. is just an added bonus provided at the developer's will (although a very welcome one ).

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by orangep0ny:
While there were some Unsanity Haxies that were originally advertised this way, ShapeShifter and Mighty Mouse never have been. We will be charging an upgrade price when ShapeShifter 3 comes out.

We considered charging an upgrade when ShapeShifter 2 was released, but in the end, we decided that, even though the feature set warranted an upgrade fee, it had been less than a year since the initial release of ShapeShifter, so it wouldn't be fair to our customers to charge so quickly.

I don't speak for Unsanity regarding pricing, so I can't state anything definitively. But I do have input on ShapeShifter, and we'll only charge an upgrade fee on that for a substantial update, not for a maintenance release. The idea is that the upgrade fee buys you new features. Not bug fixes.
( Last edited by smeger; Jan 8, 2005 at 03:27 PM. )
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

siMac
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
The idea is that the upgrade fee buys you new features. Not bug fixes.
Heh heh, someone explain that to Quark...
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

BlueIce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2005, 08:03 PM

I've always believed that upgrade prices are there to pay for the time, energy, and effort that went into developing the new version. That being said, I'll gladly pay for major upgrades, such as Panther to Tiger, but would refuse to pay for incrementals like 10.3.1 --> 10.3.7. These guys have to make a living at what they are doing and if they are producing great software, I'll gladly pay them for it.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2005, 03:49 AM

I would pay but they don't like Paypal and that's the only method I have. So I am willing but they are not.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

ZXspectrum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2005, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
I would pay but they don't like Paypal and that's the only method I have. So I am willing but they are not.
Good point!

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2005, 06:12 AM

It really doesn't matter if PayPal is accepted or not.

Read: http://unsanity.com/support.php?vf=23

crooner
Senior User
Jan 9, 2005, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by Fusion:
It depends on what type of upgrade.

If it is just a maintenance upgrade, bringing all current listed features up to code, making it work with the current OS build number, optimizing code, etc... then, no, I don't feel that warrants a paid upgrade. I tend to believe that when I am buying software, I am purchasing a program that does 'x' features at the time of purchase. It is then the developers responsibility (hopefully) to keep the software at least working with current machines.

If it is a feature upgrade, i.e. significant improvements have been made, the software does new things it could not in the past, etc... then I expect to shell out more money for it. The software now has 'y' features instead of 'x' (what I paid for). Anything such as free upgrades for life, cheaper upgrades for existing customers, beta-tester discounts, etc.. is just an added bonus provided at the developer's will (although a very welcome one ).
I tend to agree. The bottom line? Maintenance releases should be free. Any release, however, that adds significant new features and performance improvements deserves the reward of a reasonable upgrade fee. Like it's been said in this thread before, these guys represent some of the best of the best of the Mac shareware community and I fully believe in supporting (in every sense) their efforts so they'll keep churning out the good stuff.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

slava
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2005, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by crooner:
Like it's been said in this thread before, these guys represent some of the best of the best of the Mac shareware community and I fully believe in supporting (in every sense) their efforts so they'll keep churning out the good stuff.
*sniff* (wiping a tear) Thank you!
// slava@unsanity

Makki
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 05:45 PM

Slava you got the straight jacket off yet?
next time make Jason wear it hehe

Makki

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2005, 08:03 PM

the only piece of software by them i use is shapeshifter. i registered it back before version 2 came out and am happy with it, but i only use aqua mods, smooth stripes and aqua extreme. the main reason i bought shapeshifter was to support the development.

truth be told, for the past few months i have not had it enabled, i turned on smooth stripes a few days ago.

with tiger coming out and i like the look of it, i probably would not pay for the upgrade to shapeshifter 3 unless there was a theme that i _had_ to have that required it. no offense to any of the, excellent, theme designers but there are no themes that i like enough to use daily. (not saying there are no themes i like, they are all excellent)

roam
Jan 9, 2005, 08:22 PM

The beauty of SS, for me, wasn't so much the themes out there, but me being able to make my own. I enjoy seeing what others create, though, but I find GUI stuff to be very personal, so in the end I use a modded Aqua (I still think Aqua is the nicest theme out there), because even though Aqua is cool, there's parts of it that I like to change, hence SS.

rmongold
Jan 9, 2005, 11:50 PM

I've paid for ShapeShifter, and will continue to do so. I also bought a copy of Silk, but don't use it as it is INCREDIBLY tough to find a font that looks right with OS X. So, Lucida Grande it remains, and I'll stick with my current copy of Silk.

Unless, of course, they figure out a way to change the metrics of the fonts so they render right in the interface elements...

crooner
Senior User
Jan 10, 2005, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by slava:
*sniff* (wiping a tear) Thank you!
So... does this mean I never have to pay for updates?

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

haley
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2005, 12:20 PM

Well, say (almost) everyone who owns SS were to pay $5 for a major upgrade... think of the boost that would give the Unsanity folks to go make more software and upgrade other things. It's a wonder they keep upgrading things for us without the upgrade fee.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2005, 11:35 PM

The entire purpose of me using Paypal was to avoid credit cards. Getting a Paypal credit card is kind of defeating that.

Edit: Upon reading that, to qualify for the Paypal credit/debit card, you must already HAVE a credit card.
( Last edited by kwyjiboy; Jan 10, 2005 at 11:44 PM. )

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2005, 03:16 AM

I've got no problem with paying for upgrades to certain apps. That is, if the upgrades are significant and truly an upgrade from the previous edition. Take SS for example. I have been somewhat disappointed with SS-2. Many of the "upgrades" that were implemented I don't even use and I think are unecessary. Overlapping other apps such as MightyMouse which, on its own, is a fantastic app did nothing to enhance SS. Some apps should remain separate and specific. When designers try to incorporate too many options into one app, the specific purpose of the original app suffers, I think. With regards to Unsanity, I would be willing to pay for upgrades to many of their apps. because their apps are so fantastic and because I want to see them grow and continue to produce unique creative apps like the ones they are famous for. If that's what it takes, count me in.
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2005, 10:04 AM

No answer to my post near the bottom of this? I am really hoping for a way to pay.

Fusion
Senior User
Jan 15, 2005, 01:36 PM

There is a super easy way to pay with paypal. Paypal has an option for a one-time use virtual credit card number. You tell it what store you are shopping at, say, unsanity.com, and it generates a web page with a credit card number, expiration date, and other relevant information so you can use your paypal account anywhere where a credit card is accepted.

I believe its in the "withdraw money" section of paypal or "send money."

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 06:04 PM

I've bought almost all of their apps and I love them all and still use most of them, but I have to admit that I'd kinda resent paying again, and definitely wouldn't get them ALL renewed. I think they'd be better served to keep the ones they have up-to-date and work on inventing some more supercool stuff to keep the $$$ rolling in! That way everybody wins!
( Last edited by mrtew; Jan 19, 2005 at 07:53 PM. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Fusion:
There is a super easy way to pay with paypal. Paypal has an option for a one-time use virtual credit card number. You tell it what store you are shopping at, say, unsanity.com, and it generates a web page with a credit card number, expiration date, and other relevant information so you can use your paypal account anywhere where a credit card is accepted.

I believe its in the "withdraw money" section of paypal or "send money."
You don't listen. That requires a "verified" paypal account. You can only verify an account using a credit card -- forget if you are using pre-authorized checking. And only verified users can use the paypal debit/virtual credit card. I do not have or use credit cards.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 07:39 PM

You don't listen. That requires a "verified" paypal account. You can only verify an account using a credit card -- forget if you are using pre-authorized checking. And only verified users can use the paypal debit/virtual credit card. I do not have or use credit cards.
I don't have a credit card. I do have a verified account.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules