Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Political Blogs

Political Blogs
placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2006, 03:23 PM

I'm curious about the "big ones" for the left and the right. Would dailykos.com and littlegreenfootballs.com be representative? I try to expose myself to different points of view and would like to know about other blogs. I really don't want something too extreme on either side. What would you all suggest? Thanks.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 03:38 PM

LGF is not exactly 'right' - it's founder was originally a Democrat. LGF focuses most clearly on national security and foreign affairs, rather than domestic topics like welfare.

I think LGF is a fine representative of the 'right' on foreign affairs, but that you would do well to also look at powerlineblog.com for the right and democraticunderground.com for the left.

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2006, 03:42 PM

Thank you. I will check those out. Would say powerline and democraticunderground about the same in term of right or left ideology?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 03:47 PM

Instapundit on the right is also quite popular, and atrios.blogspot.com on the left. Most are pretty obnoxious if you ask me. I can't stand reading atrios or (for the most part, but a little better) dailykos. For a bit more moderate - or really, just more mature ones - on the left, there's washingtonmonthly.com and talkingpointsmemo.com.

I would be interested in hearing what conservatives think are the more mature blogs on the right. Ones that liberals would actually like to read - I can't bear to read instapundit or LGF or powerline. Perhaps "The Corner" on the National Review website, or maybe volokh.com? I don't know. I was going to say andrewsullivan.com, but he voted for Kerry and looks to be supporting Democrats right now, so I don't know if you could fairly characterize him as "right," even though he probably considers himself a conservative and just thinks the current Republicans aren't.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 11:29 PM

LGF is mature if you avoid the comments.
Volokh is good.
One of the great shames is that Arthur Chrenkoff's employer made him give up blogging (he did the 'good news from Iraq/Afghanistan' blog)

For economics, Russ Nelson's angry economist, http://angry-economist.russnelson.com/ or Don Boudreaux's Cafe Hayek http://cafehayek.typepad.com/hayek/ are good. Those two aren't 'right', but instead are conservative/libertarian.
( Last edited by vmarks; Apr 8, 2006 at 09:02 AM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2006, 11:39 PM

imao is an amusing right-leaning blog. Be sure to check out the cartoons (under Frank The Artist), especially "Hate Filled Lefty".

Originally Posted by Sample of imao
Many people are for deporting all the illegal immigrants, but none of those people seem prepared to answer the fundamental question: Who will pick the beans?

We are a country, a country of many beans in need of picking. But I am not going to pick those beans. You are not going to pick those beans. That leaves only the illegal immigrants left to pick our beans. Those beans will not pick themselves - that is a scientifically established fact. While self-picking beans are being genetically engineered, they have so far killed many goats in tests - not because the beans are poison, but because the bean plants killed and ate the goats. So, while we may strive towards a utopia of self-picking beans, it will turn into a dystopia if we live in constant fear of being killed and eaten by bean plants.

So, since the beans will not pick themselves without great danger to humanity, who will pick them when the illegal immigrants are gone? Some say prisoners should pick those beans; if you commit a crime, then you are sentenced to a life of bean picking. But do we really want prisoner beans? Prisoners are by their nature thieves and thus will steal our beans (or assault them). This is not a solution at all.

Can monkeys be trained to pick the beans? I don't care if they can, because I will not eat beans picked by filthy monkeys. Monkeys should be locked in cages and kept away from our precious beans.

Other suggest robots be made to pick the beans, but it would take quite advanced robots to be know the intricacies of bean picking. Such robots will inevitably turn on us, and we will not be able to stop them. Robots are made of metal, and shooting them will do no good. Soon, we will be their slaves, and then we will all have to pick the beans for the robots' evil purposes.

So, while some may say we should just deport all the illegal immigrants, they are only giving half the solution to the problem unless those people also have an answer for who will pick the beans. Actually, it's less than half the solution because, as a wise man once said, 90% of life is picking beans, and only 10% is getting into America illegally.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2006, 08:43 AM

http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk...ion_steel.html

Operation Steel Gazelle: A Smart, Multi-Slide Plan For Toughening American Security with Smartness

Senator Harry Reid (D-NV)
Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)

HARRY: Hello, I'm Harry Reid, leader of the Democrats in the United States Senate.

NANCY: And me Nancy Pelosi.

HARRY: Like millions of patriotic Americans, Nancy and I, along with our Democratic colleagues in Congress, are concerned about our rapidly deteriorating national security situation. Nearly five years after the tragic events of 9/11, not only is our country wracked by record economic misery, low teacher salaries, expensive senior prescriptions, and widespread leprosy, it also remains at risk for illegal attacks from the terrorist Osama bin Laden. Meanwhile, the Bush administration has us mired in a disastrous unrelated civil war in Iraq, consuming billions of your taxpayer dollars that could be spent on preserving Social Security and community health care block grants for America's starving teachers.

NANCY: We can better do!

HARRY: You bet we can, Nancy. That's why we've purchase space on America's abandoned and neglected websites to present the Democratic vision for a smart, yet tough new national security concept that makes a clean break with the discredited and dangerous policies of this administration. As you can see by the American flags behind us, this is a smart and tough new approach, embodied in a comprehensive plan that was developed by some of America's foremost military minds: Madeleine Albright, Sandy Berger, Markos Zuniga, and former General Wesley Clarke -- the celebrated "Falcon of the Balkans." We call our plan "Operation Steel Gazelle" -- strong and tough like steel, but smart and agile like the gazelle, as it nimbly eludes its hungry predators.

NANCY: Tell, us more Harry.

HARRY: Well Nancy, the first phase of our multi-faceted plan focuses on the number one key to restoring national security: getting Osama bin Laden. Even as we speak, this dangerous fugitive is still on the loose. As the leader of a Democratic majority in Congress, I will make sure that the head Army and Navy generals get a clear and unambiguous message: "Get Osama" is "Job One."

NANCY: But it is important to do smart too!

HARRY: That's right, Nancy. That's why our tough, no-nonsense emails to the generals will include pictures of Osama bin Laden, so they will know who to get.

NANCY: But whats about disguises?

HARRY: Way ahead of you Nancy! Using state-of-the-art PhotoShop smart computers, we will create simulated pictures of Osama bin Laden wearing a mustache, soul patch, trucker hat, and so on, and these will also be included in our emails. Then, the generals will distribute the pictures to the soldiers, and they can then make a surprise attack at Pakistan and get Osama bin Laden, no matter his latest look. Imagine the looks on the terrorists' faces!

NANCY: Me too! What is next, in the plan?

HARRY: Well Nancy, after invading Pakistan and getting Osama bin Laden, our plan will next focus on rapid American redeployment from Iraq. With terrorism finally a thing of the past, we will need our American soldiers back here in the "good ol' USA" to guard Osama bin Laden while he serves out a tough sentence in jail or an innovative work-release program.

NANCY: Sounds, smart! But what about toughness?

HARRY: Don't worry Nancy - before we redeploy the soldiers out of Iraq, we will pass a tough new assault weapons ban in Iraq to keep these dangerous weapons out of the hands of civil war gangs. We will back it up with a roadside bomb amnesty program, and after-madrassa programs for at-risk insurgent youths.

NANCY: Sounds almost too, good to be, true. But there be must a catch!

HARRY: No Nancy, it's all there in black and white, on slide 2 of our plan. The third phase our plan is to double the number of American Special Forces. It will be important that we have enough of these elite tough fighting units in case Osama bin Laden escapes through a secret tunnel and starts his terrorism again, or if his case dismissed on appeal.

NANCY: That's what I call future thinking tough! But is it smart also?

HARRY: We've got that covered too, Nancy. We will work to ensure that these expanded super soldier teams look like America, with plenty of elite security opportunities for all -- regardless of race, gender, age, or GLBT orientation. And, in keeping with the Americans with Disabilities Act, all Special Forces training facilities under our plan will have accessibility ramps by 2008. We have already begun to recruit candidates from the ranks of TSA's elite airport security teams!

NANCY: Sure Harry but, whats about the other dangerous of the futures?

HARRY: I'm glad you asked, Nancy. As you know, we need to remain vigilant to ensure Osama bin Laden never obtains rocket-powered wheelchair technology, possibly enabling him to outrun our elite Special Forces pursuit to teams. This is why our plan calls for more spies - like Jack Bauer of the popular TV action program "24".

NANCY: I like TV!

HARRY: And who doesn't, Nancy? Every Monday night at 9 on Fox, we see how a strong spy force is vital for protecting America from suprise biological attacks by conniving White House insiders. That's why I have directed former ambassador Joseph Wilson to form a new super top secret spy agency, to monitor communications between terrorist groups and Dick Cheney.

NANCY: I feel, safer already. But is thats legal?

HARRY: Yes! Unlike the adminstration's illegal domestic wiretap program, all of our secret agent pursuit teams will include international human rights monitors from the United Nations and ACLU, and an elite three judge FISA panels. Plus, they will have a really cool headquarters with metal and glass furniture and blue lighting... and accessible ramps for our elite Special Forces.

NANCY: Okay okay Harry ha ha I am convinced but how, we can we help pass this exciting security, plan.

HARRY: Well Nancy, let's get the word out to everyone - Democrats have a plan. It is smart, and it is tough, and also, unlike the Bush system, it is planned. So remember, vote Democrat because national security is our number one priority, totally up there with living wage legislation, and opposing so-called "tort reform."

NANCY: Awesome!

HARRY: That's right Nancy. So the next time someone says the Democrats don't have a plan, what do we say?

NANCY: Smart!

HARRY: And if they're still not convinced?

NANCY: Tough!
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2006, 03:49 PM

Heh, that was pretty funny. I'll take a look at the above mentioned blogs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules