Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mail theft sucks!

Mail theft sucks!
legacyb4
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2006, 03:38 PM

Buddy of mine sent me through US Postal Service an older MicroSD card that he had in a envelope. It showed up here in Vancouver with the end of the envelope slit open and card missing.

My bad for asking for it via regular envelope and not a package, but it sucks none the less...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2006, 03:42 PM

Customs.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2006, 03:55 PM

I have a neighbor who routinely steals my mail and put it back in my mailbox after a few days of "examination". Sometimes there's no envelope at all, sometimes you can clearly see that it was opened, sometimes the mail is never returned. I even missed an appointement in court because of him, he "borrowed" the convocation letter for too long and I wasn't aware that I had to go to the court and I lost in absentia. I don't have the time to install cameras to prove it's him, but I know it's him... Sometimes I hear the postman delivering the mail, and a few minutes later I hear footsteps going down from the 3rd floor and the sound of my mailbox opening... One day I'll catch you, George! Damn you!

When sending important stuff by mail, I suggest you put several sheets of blank paper in the envelope, so they cannot see what's inside and thus be less tempted to tamper with it.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire
I have a neighbor who routinely steals my mail and put it back in my mailbox after a few days of "examination". Sometimes there's no envelope at all, sometimes you can clearly see that it was opened, sometimes the mail is never returned. I even missed an appointement in court because of him, he "borrowed" the convocation letter for too long and I wasn't aware that I had to go to the court and I lost in absentia. I don't have the time to install cameras to prove it's him, but I know it's him... Sometimes I hear the postman delivering the mail, and a few minutes later I hear footsteps going down from the 3rd floor and the sound of my mailbox opening... One day I'll catch you, George! Damn you!

When sending important stuff by mail, I suggest you put several sheets of blank paper in the envelope, so they cannot see what's inside and thus be less tempted to tamper with it.

I don't know why you are taking that so lightly. He can be very severely punished for that so I suggest you tape him somehow.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2006, 04:06 PM

Put some white powder in the envelope, with a note saying, "Stealing mail sucks. So does your Anthrax."
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2006, 04:09 PM

Get a post office box or a locked mailbox that he can't get in to. He is seriously breaking the law and needs to be punished for it.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2006, 04:11 PM

You can also put invisible powder on your mail that makes a really bad blue stain on skin when touched and can't be washed off for days.

Rumor
Oct 13, 2006, 04:12 PM

Or a mouse trap in your mailbox.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by oldPigeon
Put some white powder in the envelope, with a note saying, "Stealing mail sucks. So does your Anthrax."
Haha, good one

Well, our mailboxes are outside and it would be difficult to find an appropriate place for the camera, as it would have to be on the building in front (which is quite far as there are four lanes of traffic in my street). Plus, he doesn't do it everyday. But luckily, I think he didn't do it for a while. And I don't want to drive 10 minutes everyday to get to the nearest post office.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
You can also put invisible powder on your mail that makes a really bad blue stain on skin when touched and can't be washed off for days.

That's the way to go. Catch him red, uhm, blue-handed.

-t

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Hmm, I could have some fun with that. Where do I buy this said powder?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2006, 04:56 PM

You could put a fake camera in the mailbox with a note that says "Caught Ya" and I he might stop.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2006, 04:59 PM

I'd get a locked mailbox

Rumor
Oct 13, 2006, 05:14 PM

Super glue on the handle.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Hmm, I could have some fun with that. Where do I buy this said powder?

I know the cops use it but I don't know if you can buy it through other means.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2006, 07:05 PM

Great powders here for visible and UV light staining

Powders and pastes here, visible and invisible
They have a green one thats great beacuse you just barelly dust some dollar bills with it and it blends right in

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 11:49 PM

Contact the local Postmaster General and ask that your mail be fingerprinted.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2006, 12:30 AM

Even outdoor mailboxes can have locks.

Locking mailboxes | Protect Your Identity | SecurityMailbox.com

(Not a recommendation, just something Google came up with.....)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 15, 2006, 05:24 AM

Um, have you ever thought about why this neighbor is reading your mail? It's hard to imagine that the purposes are innocent. Second, how do you know that you are getting all your mail back? Third, why on earth did you not sue the living daylights out of him over the court thing? That is not a laughing matter.

tooki

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2006, 06:46 AM

dp.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2006, 06:47 AM

Well, our mailboxes are outside and it would be difficult to find an appropriate place for the camera, as it would have to be on the building in front (which is quite far as there are four lanes of traffic in my street). Plus, he doesn't do it everyday. But luckily, I think he didn't do it for a while. And I don't want to drive 10 minutes everyday to get to the nearest post office.
How can you be sure he hasn't done it in a while? You wouldn't know until he returned the mail he has tampered with... for all you know, he could be applying for credit cards in your name. You ought to act on this now, not only for your own good, but for other folks he may be doing this to. Ask the other tenants if their mail has been tampered with, and you could probably build a much stronger case.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

brahms117
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2006, 09:46 AM

Ugh, I have a neighbor who has also stolen my mail. But I live in a building with 24 units so I don't know exactly who it is. I have a strong suspicion though, because I found the empty boxes from my last Amazon order in the laundry trash. Before that, many of my packages seemed like they had been opened and reglued. I'm guessing it's someone on that floor, and I know who definitely didn't do it.

Problem is I'm at work all day and the alleged thief doesn't seem to leave the building, ever. So he has first dibs at all packages. The mailman traditionally leaves packages inside the building, which is locked, but in the lobby on the floor. I've requested that all my packages be held at the post office. Though once in a while the mailman goes on vacation and the substitute doesn't read the note, so sometimes packages slip through.

I've enlisted one of my retired neighbors (whom I trust) to grab any packages with my name on it, just in case one gets through.

What really sucks is that the thief already found something he liked in my mail, which means he's much more likely to try it again. I've had occasional thoughts about putting together a sting operation, but it probably wouldn't work. If I were Superman I could use my x-ray vision to locate the stolen goods in his unit, then use my super strength to beat the tar out of him.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 15, 2006, 11:11 AM

Solution: in the U.S. The Postal Inspector-real police with lots of nice, beefy laws behind them. Swiping someone's magazines can get you put in jail for YEARS here.

In Canada, check out Canada Post's site about mail security. You need to take a different approach, since Canada Post considers the mail to be "yours" once it's in your box, whether that box is secure or not (this is different from the U.S., where it's still the Postal Service's responsibility until YOU retrieve it). In Canada, CALL THE POLICE NOW!!!!! FireWire, you are in grave danger of identity theft, theft of payments, late bills, and almost any other loss caused by postal tampering. The police are likely to be VERY interested in your neighbor's habits-and it's probable that this individual is stealing from others too. Call the police NOW.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by legacyb4
Buddy of mine sent me through US Postal Service an older MicroSD card that he had in a envelope. It showed up here in Vancouver with the end of the envelope slit open and card missing.
If the envelope was not padded it is possible that the card was ripped out by the sorting machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules