Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question for MBP early adopters

Question for MBP early adopters
Markg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 12:58 AM

Hey,

I know many early MBP's had an issue that was know as the "whine". I bought my MBP in early March of last year and I noticed that I had the "whine." It never really bothered me at the time because I didnt use my computer in quiet places. I basically ignored the problem. Well now, its starting to bug me as I'm using it in quieter places (mainly school). My question is, what did you guys do? Did apple fix the noise or replace the computer? I'm going to call apple care tomorrow but I want to know what you guys did and what apple did.

Thanks

dahcar
Feb 20, 2007, 01:05 PM

just let them know there is a high pitch noise coming from under your keyboard and that your friend got it fixed by replacing the main logic board. you kind of have to tell them what you want done, or they'll just "take a look at it." i got mine done twice. the first time it was done it got almost silent on battery but at least twice as loud on battery as it previously was. i called them and they replaced it again. now it's great. it will greatly reduce the sound to almost silent, but it will always be there if you put your ear to the left speaker. good luck.

p.s. make sure you request them to update your serial number on the new logic board. it makes things easier to be able to check the serial form the OS rather than under the battery.
( Last edited by dahcar; Feb 20, 2007 at 01:18 PM. )

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2007, 04:56 PM

When I called I simply referenced the article in their knowledgebase and they sent me the box right away.
I told them that I have noise u nder my keyboard and gave the article ID.
The guy on the phone didn't ask any additional questions.
Here is the article (and I have quoted this many times on this forum )
MacBook Pro with noise under the keyboard

Markg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 07:03 PM

Thanks for all the info. I'll be making a call to apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules