Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Imac Buying Help

Imac Buying Help
JoMilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2007, 04:56 AM

I'm getting ready to buy my first Apple Computer for Web and Graphic Design and I'm looking at the 24" iMac. Someone please help me out with with what features to buy and what the main diffence is between mac and pc. Also I am wondering what the best web-design programs are for mac.

I also heard that The new OS is coming out soon, and that I should wait until it launches before buying, Cn you give me some input/info on this?

please help,
Thanks

PS: Looking to Buy on Wedsday.

Rodster
Forum Regular
May 21, 2007, 06:49 AM

My advice is to wait if you can as the iMac looks poised for an update soon. As far as waiting for Leopard that will arrive later this year hopefully in Oct. I use both a Mac and PC so the transition should be fairly easy. I find both OS's easy to use and very stable.

The big difference for me is not having to deal with Spyware, and Viruses and once your comfortable with OSX, it is easier to use and worry about.

If you purchase now you'll have to buy Leopard when it's released instead of it coming with your system, that's if you want it. It's just my opinion but I would wait until Apple reveals info on the rumored updates for the MBP and iMac,

shinykaro
Forum Regular
May 21, 2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by JoMilla View Post
I'm getting ready to buy my first Apple Computer for Web and Graphic Design and I'm looking at the 24" iMac. Someone please help me out with with what features to buy and what the main diffence is between mac and pc. Also I am wondering what the best web-design programs are for mac.

PS: Looking to Buy on Wedsday.
Congrats on the switch. You've picked the perfect machine for the job. As far as the best programs to use - you can use whatever you'd use on a PC. Adobe just released Creative Suite 3, which I heard runs beautifully on the Intel macs, so you can use Dreamweaver and Flash. There's also free and open source options like NVU (not as robust as dreamweaver, but still very good). Worth researching if Dreamweaver is out of your price range. If you have Windows versions of whatever you use for web design, and have a transferrable copy of XP (or don't mind buying one), you can install Boot Camp to partition your drive and run your Windows programs natively on your iMac. Although then you miss out on the OS X environment when you're working.

Hope that helps!

JoMilla  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2007, 10:46 AM

Yes it does help!
Thanks for the feedbck so far.

So, Basically, were getting close to an update, and a new os release. So I just just stick it out for a while.
Any dates on the new releases (Update)

So I guess add that to my list of inquiries, Thanks for the help everyone.

EDIT: A simple search rendered me with 'Coming October 2007' for Leopard. Still looking for dates on the update though.

WOW October is so long away!
( Last edited by JoMilla; May 21, 2007 at 11:00 AM. )

Rodster
Forum Regular
May 21, 2007, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by JoMilla View Post
So, Basically, were getting close to an update, and a new os release. So I just just stick it out for a while.
Any dates on the new releases (Update)

EDIT: A simple search rendered me with 'Coming October 2007' for Leopard. Still looking for dates on the update though.

WOW October is so long away!
Apple tends to keep all product information close to their vest. The best guest for a Mac Book Pro or iMac update is anytime now, hopefully during or a little after the WWDC which takes place June 11-15.

I'm hoping fairly soon but i'll wait it out since I want my next Mac to come with Leopard. No sense in paying for something extra that would normally come with the system for free.

ooninay
May 21, 2007, 11:35 AM

I have found this site to be helpful in my ruminations on whether to buy or wait:

Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac

JoMilla  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2007, 08:37 PM

Wow Im at the Apple store right now, trying to restrain myself. Im going t wait until the end of june update i think. and pay for leopard later.

Forum Links
Forum Rules