Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Beware gpu medics

Beware gpu medics
imactheknife
Nov 5, 2009, 09:30 AM

I got an imac G5 1.9 with video issues. I found a classified ad on Ebay for a company in the states that fixes the video. I sent it off to them and the nightmare begins. After a a few days (Canada post said it was delivered) they "finally" found it. After another week I email and phone to see the status and no answer of the phone, and no return emails.

I finally get ahold of a guy and he says Mark who, from where (here baby crying in the background) After a few more days nothing not a mention. I send an email to ebay they don't do anything because he is just a classified ad. Another week goes buy I finally get ahold of him and he is like yeah we will get to it. He finally emails back after I file a complaint with ebay saying it was fixed and he will send it out. 4 days go by so I thought I would call. Oh!! I am having problems with shipping I will get to it tomorrow. In the meantime I have paid for the repair (Paypal) and am just waiting. 2 days go by nothing saying he shipped it. 2 more days go by. I finally complain to Paypal about this transaction. The next day the guy refunds my and sends my Logic board back by UPS. That cost me $55 bucks today. I put the unit together and it's not even fixed. I am so bloody pi$$ed off. I have decided to part it out and recoup my money. The company is GPU medics in the states. They are crooked and have the worst customer service I have ever dealt with.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2009, 09:55 AM

For (at least some of) the G5s, isn't the GPU soldered to the mobo?

imactheknife  (op)
Nov 5, 2009, 10:26 AM

yes the GPU is soldered on but thats what they supposedly specialize in..

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2009, 01:26 PM

Another company to avoid is Mac of All Trades.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Paul_Aris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2009, 09:58 AM

I sent my G5 imac logic board in November 18th after it has failed. I got an ebay gpumedics response saying they can fix it and it usually takes 5 business days. After a number of emails I never got a response even to tell me they have received it. Are you sure this is a real business. Or is my logic board gone forever?

imactheknife  (op)
Dec 18, 2009, 11:09 AM

thats why I said beware, they are jerk off's that never respond to email, won't answer the phone. They have the worst customer service I have ever seen. I hope you get your board back andI hope it works. If you pay them make sure they send it. If it doesn't work file a complaint via paypal as thats how they like being paid. They are very shadey.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 05:19 PM

I like your name, imactheknife. I assume it's based on the old Mac The Knife column from MacWeek, or maybe you got it from the song. Sorry about the bad experience you had.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Dec 18, 2009 at 05:35 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Paul_Aris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2009, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by imactheknife View Post
thats why I said beware, they are jerk off's that never respond to email, won't answer the phone. They have the worst customer service I have ever seen. I hope you get your board back andI hope it works. If you pay them make sure they send it. If it doesn't work file a complaint via paypal as thats how they like being paid. They are very shadey.
Yeah, too bad I didn't read this first.

Paul_Aris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_Aris View Post
I sent my G5 imac logic board in November 18th after it has failed. I got an ebay gpumedics response saying they can fix it and it usually takes 5 business days. After a number of emails I never got a response even to tell me they have received it. Are you sure this is a real business. Or is my logic board gone forever?
Still have not heard a word since I sent the board in. Does anyone know how to get a hold of them? I can't believe they would even exist after offering such horrible communication. I am at the point right now where I think they are a scam or don't exist at all.

Paul_Aris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_Aris View Post
Still have not heard a word since I sent the board in. Does anyone know how to get a hold of them? I can't believe they would even exist after offering such horrible communication. I am at the point right now where I think they are a scam or don't exist at all.
Well they called me today after I sent an email from ebay to them. Seems it has been done for a long time but they sent me email for payment and I never got one. Hmm. Anyway new caps are installed and they asked about the caps in my power supply so I will look at them to make sure. They are sending the board back tomorrow.

jleflannel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2010, 12:55 PM

Unfortunately for GPU medics, this time the messed with the wrong person. Nobody steals from me. I intend to contact the illinois state attorney general and I would appreciate anyone who has had their motherboard not returned contacting me via email at [email protected] so I can show that this a pattern of dishonesty not just a one time thing. I have seen posts on a few other forums by people with similar experiences and I also found out that they formerly operated undeer a different name "Superior Reball"

Focusondrew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2010, 04:15 PM

I have had a similar situation play out over almost the exact same period of time. I sent my iMac G5 ALS board in to them to have the same type of video problem serviced. ATI video chip failed, started having patterns on my screen, and GPU Medics advertised their ability to fix the problem. I checked them out as much as possible and the feedback at the time (September 2009) seemed to be legit. At first they communicated well and told me that they could fix the problem. I paid them through Paypal when they told me the work was complete at the end of November. Then I received the board back.. and this is where all the problems started.

The board was not fixed at all, it didn't even look as though they had done anything more than remove it from the packaging (then repack it poorly) before they sent it back out. So after several attempts to contact them I was told by someone, supposedly named "Robert M." in customer service, that they would take care of it free of charge if I only sent my board back in. So I did it... and then completely lost contact for several months until January.

After weeks of emailing and calling I finally had "Robert M." contact me to say that they were really busy. I said that all I wanted to know was if they could fix the problem, and he said they would take a look and let me know. Two weeks later in February, with no warning, I received the board back again. This time the board was even more poorly packaged, but thankfully it was mine, and not destroyed after 4 trips through various couriers. Of course the board exhibited the same EXACT problem as before, no repairs whatsoever.

I was totally fed up and by then it was too late to claim a refund from Paypal, which was probably their plan in the first place. So I contacted "Robert M.", told him of my disgust for his company and their business practices and told him I wanted my money back. The guy actually had the nerve to email me on 2/15/10 with: "We are a no fix no py service. We will refund your money. That is our policy."

Still waiting for that refund, already filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and I email my old pal "Robert M." every few weeks to complain again. As a previous post in this thread states the company was formerly known as "Superior Reball", and probably scammed their way out of business that time too. Any company that abuses their customers like this must be a scam and can't last long. I certainly learned my lesson over $115. I would be more than happy to help anyone establish a pattern of dishonesty against this company. GPU medics is the archetype of poor business practices.

bstone
Mac Elite
May 5, 2010, 08:06 PM

This is very disturbing. Have you considered filing a complaint with your local Small Claims Court?
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 5, 2010, 11:17 PM

I have heard bad things about superior reball.

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2010, 02:29 AM

Internet Crime Complaint Center - Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home

jleflannel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2010, 05:58 PM

First. thank you to the member who contacted me. I have contacted the illinois state attorney general regarding this company. No legitimate business has customer service that you can only contact every few months. After finally talking to Robert M ( I would love to find out his last name) he told me that they had indeed made a mistake and he would find or replace my board. That was in mid april. Since then I have not been able to get a hold of him. I will try the above posted link as well as contacting the BBB. By the way, in order to file in small claims court you have to do so In the state in which the business you are suing is located. I do plan to travel to illinois to file a claim against GPU medics. I will let everyone know how that goes. Also by the way, Paypal was completely useless in this whole process. First they closed my case because GPU medics provided them with a tracking number for a board they had shipped me over a month earlier and just kept sending me emails with reasons why they couldn't help me ( apparently a motherboard is not a physical item so they cant do anything) Pathetic. My next recourse is to contact my credit card co since my paypal account is linked to my card
( Last edited by jleflannel; May 16, 2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: mispell)

bstone
Mac Elite
May 16, 2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by jleflannel View Post
By the way, in order to file in small claims court you have to do so In the state in which the business you are suing is located. I do plan to travel to illinois to file a claim against GPU medics.
Incorrect. Check your Rules of Civil Procedure at your local court, but usually courts let you sue in EITHER your county or their county. I have sued a few foreign corporations (foreign as in not in my state) as this was allowed due to my court's Rules of Civil Procedure allowed me to sue where I live.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

He's dead Jim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2010, 09:38 PM

After reading some of this. I say, take a claw hammer to their kneecaps.
Just kidding. Anyway, I'm looking for input on Powermax(dot)com. Anyone had any dealings with them. thumps up/down

ifemiatata
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2010, 11:18 PM

THIS COMPANY IS ADVERTISED ON EBAY CLASSIFIED ADS. I SENT IN 3 M/B'S FOR REPAIR AND THIS COMPANY (APPEARS JUST 1 EMPLOYEE ROBERT M.)DOES NOT ANSWER THE PHONE AND HAS STOLEN MY MOTHERBOARDS. I HAVE CONTACTED EBAY AND WILL SOON CONTACT THE LOCAL POLICE TO HAVE THIS PERSON CHARGED WITH THEFT. HE IS A CROOK BUYER BEWARE AND STAY AWAY FROM GPU MEDICS LOCATED IN GILBERTS, IL 39 Industrial Drive. Unit 3
Gilberts,IL 60136
PH: (224) 545-9051

STRATCON10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2010, 07:45 PM

It appears GPU Medics in Gilberts, IL once had a great reputation. Now, it appears that is no longer the case. We recently sent them an expensive Dell systemboard for gpu service and after speaking with the owner; Dale Robert Miedera, he spoke enthusiastically and assured the board had been "done" and they would test and return the "next business day". That was over a month ago! Upon many follow up attempts, there have been no replies and the phone rarely answers. I wish we could have said positive things about this outfit, but unfortunately we cannot. We must assume at this point we will not be realizing any fulfillment. The owner may be collecting, repairing and reselling items elsewhere; but that is only speculation. There appear to be many complaints about GPU Medics in recent months, so be forewarned!!!

mcdell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2010, 04:56 PM

I need a little help here. I sent my Dell notebook motherboard in about a month ago and now I have heard nothing. Robert M only acknowledged that he received that board and after that I heard absolutely nothing from him. Can anyone suggest a way to resolve this and get my board back? He was definitely very responsive before I sent the board and then it all went downhill. Prior to sending the board I asked if I need to have all components attached and he told me to include CPU, memory and WLAN. I don't know why he would need WLAN but perhaps he's selling as many parts as he can get? Help please.

STRATCON10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2010, 01:37 PM

You have described the common scenario; nice responsive guy, then you send the parts he asks for and then the last time you hear from Dale Robert Miedera, owner of GPU Medics is when he verifies receiving your system board. No one really knows what this guy is up to, but it appears he may be auctioning off the parts on eBay. Typically you would need only send the system board. Your best bet at this juncture would be to pick up a refurbished machine from Dell Financial or somewhere else that may still have some residual warranty as replacing the lost parts will be approximately the cost of replacing the entire unit. Reflow of the GPU on the PN302 system boards, assuming this is what you had, isn't worth the bother as Dell confirms the board substrate layers are an issue as well. Others only losing their system boards should just replace them or contact Dell for replacement in kind if they still have their defective parts. Dell may opt to extend the warranty (at no cost) on the machine if ownership can be verified as they did for us.

Forum Links
Forum Rules