Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad 2 ordered!

iPad 2 ordered! (Page 2)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Did you get over your original "meh", or is there something compelling about this model?
It's faster, thinner, lighter, and the bulge is gone. Most of what annoyed me has been fixed. Really the only thing left that bothers me is the bezel width, but I can deal with that. Oh, yeah, the lack of Flash support, that's bothersome, but Skyfire apparently helps with that (when I get around to installing it).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2011, 12:54 PM

Good deal. Enjoy.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2011, 12:45 PM

What time (local time) did the online store allow orders in Australia and New Zealand?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2011, 07:28 AM

Weird. My basement smoke detector went off… but there is no smoke or fire. However, it was covered in drywall dust from a reno, and I wonder if it's screwing up the unit.

Anyways, it woke me up early morning so I ordered the IPAD WI-FI 16GB WHITE - PRSN-CAN - PC979C/A. I had looked earlier at 1 am EST, but orders hadn't gone live yet.

Unfortunately, the wait online said 2-3 weeks for Apple Canada, with my shipping date supposedly Apr. 15, and arrival date is estimated at Apr. 22. Hopefully, that's just being very, very conservative, as a 4 week wait would be rather annoying.

Maybe I'll drive by the local Best Buy and Future Shop, but there is no way I'm standing in line for an hour in the cold.

P
Mar 25, 2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Weird. My basement smoke detector went off… but there is no smoke or fire. However, it was covered in drywall dust from a reno, and I wonder if it's screwing up the unit.
Modern smoke detectors are optical - meaning that there is a source of light (usually not in the visible spectrum) and a detector, and if that detector no longer detects the light, the alarm goes off. Dust can do that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2011, 09:39 AM

Yeah, I found that out afterwards. I'll try vaccuuming it out.

P.S. I'm getting my iPad 2 engraved. Some of you might find meaning with regards to the iPad 2 with this Mahatma Gandhi quote:

"There is more to life than simply increasing its speed."

Well my friendly half-naked fakir, one of the reasons I didn't get the iPad 1 was because it was slow.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2011, 10:26 AM

I heard on the radio about a half-hour ago that there over 100 people camped out in front of the Eaton Centre Apple Store in Toronto. Some have been there since yesterday. Nuts.

I was going to drive by a Best Buy and/or Future Shop after 4:30, but I wonder if I should even bother, and should just wait for my online order to ship despite the "2-3 weeks" delay.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2011, 12:57 PM

I was going to drive by a Best Buy and/or Future Shop after 4:30, but I wonder if I should even bother, and should just wait for my online order to ship despite the "2-3 weeks" delay.
No line-up at CCS earlier on this morning. If there's still no line at 4:30 I might pick one up.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2011, 01:48 PM

By CCS, do you mean the U of T Bookstore shop (Campus Computer Shop)? Or is that a typo for Computer Systems Centre?

A friend said that as of about half an hour ago there were 3 lined up at the downtown Future Shop.

Oh and the online store went to 3-4 weeks last I checked a couple of hours ago.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2011, 02:39 PM

By CCS, do you mean the U of T Bookstore shop (Campus Computer Shop)? Or is that a typo for Computer Systems Centre?
The latter, sorry. CSC on College and Spadina. Today might end up being a tablet buying day. I've just ordered a Nook Colour. We need an Android device in the office and none of our staff has volunteered to give up the iPhone...

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2011, 04:55 PM

Just walked by CSC on my way home. About 80 people in line now.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2011, 10:56 PM

I dropped by the local Best Buy (Toronto Laird/Leaside) and there were maybe 30+ people in line by 4:15 pm, with a claim that there were 80 units going up for sale. However, that's including all models, and I was only interested in the 16 GB white. I didn't feel like standing outside for 45 minutes not knowing if there'd be one available for me.

Then I went to the Future Shop up the street. They were more civilized with a line up inside, maybe 40+ by 4:20 pm. I didn't know how many units they were going to get, but they were passing out tickets for units. All the 16 GB WiFi units (and I think the 32 GB ones too) were spoken for by then. You could still get 64 GB WiFi ones, plus various 3G ones - the sales guy had a whole stack of the tickets for those models in his hand.

So I just went home. Ten minutes wasted only, and I'll just have to wait for my online order to ship. BTW, they're still at 3-4 weeks now, although my order said 2-3 weeks. It's been at 3-4 weeks since about noon. I guess Apple is pumping up the volume, because it's not degenerating to 6-8 weeks.

Here are the pix from Yorkdale. That place is always a zoo. I don't like shopping there much.

Some of these people had lined up outside in freezing temps overnight. Strange.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 25, 2011, 11:24 PM

We've received 13 units from a non-apple source, and 10 units from apple. (5 32gb wifi black, 5 32gb wifi white).

That's it.

And yet they are going global with sales? WTF Apple.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2011, 12:59 AM

I dropped by the local Best Buy (Toronto Laird/Leaside) and there were maybe 30+ people in line by 4:15 pm, with a claim that there were 80 units going up for sale. However, that's including all models, and I was only interested in the 16 GB white. I didn't feel like standing outside for 45 minutes not knowing if there'd be one available for me.

Then I went to the Future Shop up the street. They were more civilized with a line up inside, maybe 40+ by 4:20 pm. I didn't know how many units they were going to get, but they were passing out tickets for units. All the 16 GB WiFi units (and I think the 32 GB ones too) were spoken for by then. You could still get 64 GB WiFi ones, plus various 3G ones - the sales guy had a whole stack of the tickets for those models in his hand.
Hmmm… I just checked my work email, and read a message from a coworker...

Sometimes it pays to wait. I had met a coworker at Future Shop actually and he left the same time I did from Future Shop cuz he too wanted a 16 GB WiFi model. I went home, but he went to Best Buy (where I had just left 5 mins before), and a few minutes later had the unit he wanted. So basically, if I had waited just 10 mins in the cold at Best Buy, I would have gotten it.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2011, 08:19 AM

I didn't know this, but as a corporate client I could have put in an order with a local reseller - I am not giving names because I am not sure if that's strictly kosher. A friend of mine walked in and out with five iPads and no waiting in line at all, bought on account. Damn.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2011, 02:25 AM

Asses. There are a bazillion iPad 2s on Craigslist.ca now. I just hope there are not going to be that many sales at the high prices they're asking. They're usually asking a ~3 digit $ premium or more.

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2011, 12:04 PM

Asses. There are a bazillion iPad 2s on Craigslist.ca now. I just hope there are not going to be that many sales at the high prices they're asking. They're usually asking a ~3 digit $ premium or more.
Same thing happened here in the US. Scalpers probably ate up a good 40% of the inventory if I'd have to guess.

david33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2011, 07:12 PM

Two Philly area Radio Shacks had iPads in stock today (there were probably others, but I only called two stores). They each had only TWO ipads -- a 16 GB and a 32 GB (both black, wifi only). I got to the store 15 minutes before opening (9 am) and there was only one other guy waiting outside. Fortunately for me, he was looking for a 64 GB, so I got first dibs on the 32 GB. I was out of the store and back at my house by 9:11 am. Radio Shack came through for me. Who'd have thunk it?

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2011, 09:02 PM

It is truly amazing to see the day after day lines and how much buzz iPad 2 is getting.
I got mine on saturday after waiting 5 days or so after putting down a deposit to hold one on the next shipment.

on the other side of things, I emailed my local Apple Store on friday and they said they would hold one when that came in. On monday I got a call that it was in.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2011, 12:58 AM

I ordered a16gb AT&T iPad on 3/11 and it was delivered Monday morning. I love it. PS: black smart cover + white iPad = sexy awesome.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2011, 08:42 AM

When you ordered, what was the specified wait time?

When I ordered mine on Friday (March 25), it said ship time 2-3 weeks, so I'm expecting delivery mid-April.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2011, 09:20 AM

Eug CSC had ample stock when I talked to them yesterday. All models were in stock, with the 3G's selling better than WIFI.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Eug CSC had ample stock when I talked to them yesterday. All models were in stock, with the 3G's selling better than WIFI.
I just called them, and they said they had only one left - White 32 GB 3G for $749.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2011, 04:12 PM

Crap. Sorry about that.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Ordered mine at 10:56AM EDT today. It says it won't ship until Apr 11. The things I do to save money (12 months financing free).

I'll have the cover and the dock before I get the iPad. Weeks before!
My Apr11 ipad2 just shipped out of china 10 days before noted by Apple. The dock was due to ship Monday and is "prepared". I might have it by next weekend.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2011, 09:11 PM

I guess I won't get my engraving. I reserved one at the Apple Store Eaton Centre.

Apple.ca: Reserve & Pick Up iPad 2 At Your Local Apple Store | iPad in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPad Resource

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2011, 04:31 PM

I ordered mine on 3/14 and it originally had a ship date of 4/11 with delivery on 4/14. This morning I find that it has shipped and is due to arrive on 4/8--so it got bumped about a week assuming it gets here on time. I got the 64GB AT&T 3G.

Of course, I went online to *cancel* the order because I thought I'd have plenty of time. lol

In the meantime I got a new 13 MPB and decided that would satisfy my mobile needs better than the iPad. Oh well, maybe I'll keep both.

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2011, 10:47 AM

Yeah, Apple always goes on the long-end of estimates. I got mine 11 days earlier than the estimate.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
My Apr11 ipad2 just shipped out of china 10 days before noted by Apple. The dock was due to ship Monday and is "prepared". I might have it by next weekend.
I got my iPad2 64G WiFi ordered 10:56A,M Sunday, Mar 15, today! Time to play!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

AccessoryGeeks
Banned
Apr 6, 2011, 02:49 PM

Nice, iPad 2 is a big upgrade. One of the biggest factors of the upgrade seemed like the camera to me. Technological devices have got to have a camera now a days. It's hard to believe that you need more than 64 GB's of memory a couple of years ago, but it almost seems like the bare minimum these days.

TECHNOLOGY is AWESOME!!

hadocon
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2011, 10:45 PM

Come on iPad! Get here!

Anyone else get theirs?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 15, 2011, 06:39 AM

I got mine at BestBuy to take advantage of their financing. Problem is that BestBuy gets whatever Apple sends, whenever they send it. Here, they tend to sell out fast. I was able to get the capacity I wanted, but not the color... If the financing deal hadn't been so tempting, I would have ordered exactly what I wanted-and hated waiting for it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2011, 03:51 AM

Which did you get?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 18, 2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Which did you get?
32GB with 3G and in white. I had originally wanted a black 32GB without 3G, but I was flexible. And I really wanted it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2011, 11:51 AM

I'm sure the 3G will come in handy at some point.

Are you getting a smart cover? I think there are more options which look hot with the white.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2011, 11:20 AM

The 3G is proving to be insanely useful for me, even with Rogers making iPhone personal hotspots freely available.

Not to have to go through tethering is making life in presentations just that little bit more pleasant.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2011, 10:39 PM

I have a ship date of April 25th.

My order status now says "prepared for shipment"

A good sign?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Young Spade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2011, 07:44 PM

That's great man, hope you enjoy it. I liked mine when I had it (first generation) but the lack of flash and...well the fact that I hardly ever used it didn't warrant me owning it longer than I did, so I sold it.

I also only had a netbook at the time so I figured I'd sell it and put the money towards a good computer; about a month ago I got a MacBook

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 20, 2011, 09:17 PM

I haven't needed the 3G yet, but the iPad itself has been extremely useful. And fun. Can't forget fun.

I got the Incase Origami sleeve to start out with. The smart cover doesn't protect the back, and all the "portfolio" cases I've seen are way too big and way too "serious" for me. I'm still looking though.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2011, 02:05 AM

Yeah!

Supposed to arrive on the 27th!

hadocon
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2011, 06:18 PM

Finally arrived on the 25th! So far I am liking this more than m first gen iPad. Fster, slicker, thinner... Nice!

Oh,, and I'm obviously posting this from my iPad ;-)

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2011, 12:09 PM

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2011, 01:05 PM

I wanna see the iPad 2 release in Zimbabwe.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2011, 01:27 PM

For an iPad I suspect they'd just use US bux though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules