Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Who is the most prestigious journalist alive today?

Who is the most prestigious journalist alive today?
kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2012, 08:40 AM

Who is the most prestigious journalist alive today?

It used to be Walter Cronkhite. It used to be Edward R. Murrow. And in those days there were several print jounalists who were looked at with universal respect.

But who has that title today? And if you can't name just one, please tell me who are the names near the top rank.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2012, 09:05 AM

Not an easy question.

I think in a way somewhat similar to how you couldn't have a Charlie Chaplin any more, Murrow and the like were a result of a unique time in our history when a specific, closed type of media was dominant.

That being said, I like Richard Engel.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Not an easy question.
I think in a way somewhat similar to how you couldn't have a Charlie Chaplin any more, Murrow and the like were a result of a unique time in our history when a specific, closed type of media was dominant.
That being said, I like Richard Engel.
Richard Engle has brass balls. I feel about him the way I once felt about Steve Irwin. His passion will one day cost him BIG TIME. And I hope and pray I'm wrong. His ability and eagerness to get into extremely dangerous places to report the news is a marvel to me and I feel we are lucky to have his reporting.

He with his Jimmy Olsen haircut!

Richard Engle enobles NBC. He is awesome.

But he isn't a prestigious journalist in the way of Walter. Or Murrow. Or David Brinckley. He, one day might be, but not yet.

I'm looking for the name of someone who is recognized as a Dean of sorts. Someone who EVERYONE respects and defers to.

Bob Schiefer comes close. So does Brit Hume. Tom Brokaw. Rather, before he messed up.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2012, 08:32 PM

Of all those, I'd say Rather is the closest, but more because he's the last one from the early days who's still alive. You're right of course about how that ended badly.

I don't think Brokaw quite makes it. No way with Hume.

I'll admit I don't know who Schiefer is.

Maybe Bob Leher?

I'd say Fareed Zakaria would be in the running if he'd stop ****ing plagiarising shit.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2012, 09:17 PM

Of all those, I'd say Rather is the closest, but more because he's the last one from the early days who's still alive. You're right of course about how that ended badly.
I don't think Brokaw quite makes it. No way with Hume.
I'll admit I don't know who Schiefer is.
Maybe Bob Leher?
I'd say Fareed Zakaria would be in the running if he'd stop ****ing plagiarising shit.
Yeah. A lot of folks don't know Rather was in Dealy Plaza that day reporting on JFK's visit. But Rather didn't do anything then in 2004 which MSNBC and CNN aren't doing now. What have you against Brit Hume??? Bob Schefer is GREAT! He's a throwback to the old days, like Rather, although I don't know if Schiefer was a network correspondent before Watergate. Schiefer played the role of extended relief pitcher at CBS News filling in as Evening News anchor for several weeks before and after the Katie Couric era. He's been around so long that he's seen almost everything and his news delivery reflects that. He often does a story with a smile and a wry ol' Southern laugh that is endearing as all getout! You can see him every Sunday morning on Face The Nation. I think he's a national treasure.

Robert Lehrer also reported on the Kennedy Assassination and is much respected.

Even if Zakaria never did a bad thing again in his life his plagiarism closes the door for his ever being on that highest of tiers.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2012, 10:13 PM

You are absolutely correct about Zakaria. I phrased that poorly.

Hume swam in the FOX pool. They expressly service only a portion of the public. Murrow and Cronkite were expressly aiming to serve the entire public.

I argue you must engage in the latter to be considered a figure everyone can look to.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2012, 10:16 PM

Sadly, I think the Murrow/Cronkite model isn't economically feasible anymore. That's why there are so few living contenders.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2012, 10:48 PM

You are absolutely correct about Zakaria. I phrased that poorly.
Hume swam in the FOX pool. They expressly service only a portion of the public. Murrow and Cronkite were expressly aiming to serve the entire public.
I argue you must engage in the latter to be considered a figure everyone can look to.
Brit Hume worked for ABC News for twenty years before going to Fox News.

Here are some of the awards Hume has won.

Sol Taishoff Award for Excellence in Broadcast Journalist (2003)
Emmy Award for coverage of the Gulf War (1991)
American Journalism Review "Best in the Business" award (twice) for White House coverage

His reportage was second to none and his ethics unblemished.

And I think you misunderestimate Fox News.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2012, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by kimosABE View Post
And I think you misunderestimate Fox News.
How so?

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2012, 11:38 PM

How so?
Because Fox News has to be all things to all Conservatives you can't look at it as one homogenous news channel. The commentary has to be entertaining and play to the base of support...hard core traditional values thinkers, so that in this respect it is no different than the commentary on CNN or MSNBC, both of which blatantly root for the leftist point of view. I watch them all, so I know of what I speak. (An exception to MSNBC's overboard Liberalism is the EXCELLENT, "Morning Joe." It is not only fairly well balanced and looks at various sides of an issue but it also has guests representing the Right and the Left.)

But the news portion of the Fox News equation really does try to be fair and balanced. They play it straight and try to point out the facts the other cable news outlets report as well as the facts the others omit or get wrong.

So, for anyone to just assume that Fox is extreme is incorrect and to assume that because Hume has worked at FNC that he's a corrupt journalist is doubly wrong. He is and has always been a newsman with gravitas and integrity.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2012, 12:24 AM

Anyone on Fox is a puppet with Murdoch's hand up their backside.

No mentions for Ron Burgundy?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2012, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Anyone on Fox is a puppet with Murdoch's hand up their backside.
No mentions for Ron Burgundy?
You think it's cool to say those things. Your comments are nothing more than cliches.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2012, 03:52 AM

NO Journalist is worth it.

What ever happened to NEWS REPORTING???

You know, reporting FACTS in chronological order WITHOUT added opinions.
This is too difficult for liberals to do.

This trait exists in most libs.

See the many bumper stickers on the back of their cars, like their emotions on their sleeves, and their desire to tell you their opinions, being self righteous and all.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2012, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
See the many bumper stickers on the back of their cars, like their emotions on their sleeves, and their desire to tell you their opinions, being self righteous and all.
Hey man, how ya doin?

Listen, we are on the same side of the fence on this. However, if this thread gets too political it will be moved to the PWL where I've been banned. So, if you don't mind, let's keep this thread here where everyone can enjoy it, ok?

Thanks.

Oh, and Joe Scarborough just said of Willie Geist, his "Morning Joe" co-host who is probably ten years his junior, "You're a star, a super nova." I agree with Joe. Willie Geist is carving out an impressive career as a TV journalist. He is a man of principle, he's disciplined. Willie reminds me of what Kasper Gutman said of Sam Spade, he's a man of 'nice judgement.'

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2012, 05:15 AM

Unfortunately for you, "news reporting" solely as "facts in chronological order without added opinions" has never, ever truly existed in the history of the printed news medium.

So continue to long for an earlier time, a better time all you want........
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2012, 05:22 AM

Also: I didn't know that Fareed had been busted for the plagiarism bit. That's really unfortunate. A couple of his articles and his book were really influential on my world-view for a number of years.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2012, 08:10 AM

It USED to be the way the LOCAL newspapers did things in the 1960's and 1970's. Only after Watergate did every 'journalist' wanna be a star. That's where this lowered standards stuff started.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2012, 08:11 AM

Hey man, how ya doin?
Listen, we are on the same side of the fence on this. However, if this thread gets too political it will be moved to the PWL where I've been banned. So, if you don't mind, let's keep this thread here where everyone can enjoy it, ok?
Thanks.
Oh, and Joe Scarborough just said of Willie Geist, his "Morning Joe" co-host who is probably ten years his junior, "You're a star, a super nova." I agree with Joe. Willie Geist is carving out an impressive career as a TV journalist. He is a man of principle, he's disciplined. Willie reminds me of what Kasper Gutman said of Sam Spade, he's a man of 'nice judgement.'
But Joe Scarborough is an idiot. He's NOT A CONSERVATIVE!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2012, 08:52 AM

You think it's cool to say those things. Your comments are nothing more than cliches.
1 + 1 = 2. Also a cliché.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2012, 09:17 AM

It USED to be the way the LOCAL newspapers did things in the 1960's and 1970's. Only after Watergate did every 'journalist' wanna be a star. That's where this lowered standards stuff started.
No. That's not right. You're wrong.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2012, 09:20 AM

Nothing happened to it, except the American people want sound bytes instead of what you call real news. We live in a much faster paced world, and the media, at least the ones who are profitable (and that's really all that matters to them) give us what we want. Don't blame the messenger.

Don't know much about human nature do you?

You mean like Romney, who's gotten caught with his foot in his mouth repeatedly during the campaign.

People choose sides, and your childish attempt to blame everything on "libs" shows how fair and balanced you are.

What a silly analogy. Conservatives have bumper stickers also. Really!

Be more honest with yourself. You get less headaches that way.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2012, 09:42 AM

How about Bob Woodward?

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
How about Bob Woodward?
Bob Woodward is certainly an iconic figure due to his role in the Watergate story. And he remains a noteworthy author and writer. But I don't think he has the journalistic credentials to be considered a Dean of journalism.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2012, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Nothing happened to it, except the American people want sound bytes instead of what you call real news. We live in a much faster paced world, and the media, at least the ones who are profitable (and that's really all that matters to them) give us what we want. Don't blame the messenger.
Don't know much about human nature do you?
You mean like Romney, who's gotten caught with his foot in his mouth repeatedly during the campaign.

People choose sides, and your childish attempt to blame everything on "libs" shows how fair and balanced you are.
What a silly analogy. Conservatives have bumper stickers also. Really!
Be more honest with yourself. You get less headaches that way.
Your comments are waaaay out of order. Off topic. Even after I asked BadKosh to refrain from political comments you had to show how little self control you possess by making those comments above.

Get the hell out of this thread!

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
1 + 1 = 2. Also a cliché.
Not worth a response.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2012, 11:56 AM

But Joe Scarborough is an idiot. He's NOT A CONSERVATIVE!
I think he's been at MSNBC too long and the 'environment' there has affected him. I don't agree with him all the time, but he has redeeming qualities.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2012, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Unfortunately for you, "news reporting" solely as "facts in chronological order without added opinions" has never, ever truly existed in the history of the printed news medium.
So continue to long for an earlier time, a better time all you want........
You are saying that because true, 100% impartiality and objectivity in journalism is inherently impossible and always has been, that it is folly and/or useless to wish for better reporting and better journalistic ethics???

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2012, 12:07 PM

I, too, believe people went into journalism with the idea of becoming celebrated rather than being a 'silent' and insightful witness and dutiful messenger to and of the events of our times.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2012, 04:41 AM

The reason I posed this question is because I have been hoping SOMEONE who is respected by all in the journalism world would come forth and recognize and call everyone's attention to what a sad state of affairs journalism finds itself in. And after publicizing this and owning up to it on behalf of all the practicing journalists in America, I hope he would admonish those who were responsible for it. Then, I hope he would set out a set of standards that are relevant and meaningful in today's world that journalists could buy into and live by to make sure this kind of decay never happened again.

I think EVERYONE needs to understand the role of journalism in this country and know just how vitally important it is to our continued freedom and prosperity. And I feel there is no better way to illustrate just how corrupt journalism has become than to look at just how Barack Obama managed to slip into the White House.

If the free press had done the job that had always been done with all the past presidential candidates, Obama would not have been elected.

EDIT: The kinds of vetting that could'a and should'a been done, Wiskedjak might say, is on display in this Washington Examiner investigative report.

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/the-obama-you-dont-know/article/2508080

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2012, 04:50 AM

You are saying that because true, 100% impartiality and objectivity in journalism is inherently impossible and always has been, that it is folly and/or useless to wish for better reporting and better journalistic ethics???
To use your two statements here, what I'm saying is:

1. The former is true.

2. The latter is a complete red herring. "Reporting and journalistic ethics" are as good as they have ever been, by any measure you want to use. There's nothing wrong with wishing that it was "better" than it is now - but at least recognize that you won't be returning to an earlier time, a better time, where TEH NEWS WAS BETTAR. It just was not.

What you're looking for is to make it better than it has ever been. So.....great goal, I guess.

The reason I posed this question is ...

And I feel there is no better way to illustrate just how corrupt journalism has become than to look at just how Barack Obama managed to slip into the White House.

If the free press had done the job that had always been done with all the past presidential candidates, Obama would not have been elected.
You're already banned from the Political Lounge. Keep it non-political chump.

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2012, 08:53 AM

Will McAvoy!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2012, 03:12 PM

James May
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

He's dead Jim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2012, 03:43 PM

Agreed.
But with the other two, Richard Hammond and Jeremy Clarkson. This combo is journalism at it bestest!

Forum Links
Forum Rules