Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Menu item for sleeping just the monitor?

Menu item for sleeping just the monitor?
jeff k
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2012, 04:14 PM

I'm using control, shift, eject for this. Thing is: sometimes it does not work that well. Is there a sure fire menu item for this? thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 1, 2012, 04:58 PM

I use a hot corner. Screen Saver -> Hot Corners (button) -> Sleep Display

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2012, 06:40 PM

thanks Reader, I never use screensavers.
But I have come to like the black apple one that defaults on my new Macbook Air.

For my desktop, it has my name next to the apple, I want to my name out, but option, text it's just there greyed out and I cannot get my cursor in there, any idea on that?

Also, there really aren't any benefits to having a screensaver these days are there? I've just shown my desktop all day for last few years.

Back to the original question: with a screensaver, then there is no need for sleeping the dislay, as the screensaver is basically sleeping the display no?

reader50
Administrator
Dec 1, 2012, 09:47 PM

Sleep Display = turn off backlight. Presumably it blanks the display contents as well.

You can set the screen saver to never activate, and still define a hot corner for display sleep. No screen saver, but the display dies whenever you mouse into a specific corner.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2012, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
Back to the original question: with a screensaver, then there is no need for sleeping the dislay, as the screensaver is basically sleeping the display no?
Completely different.

A screensaver keeps the display running, with the backlight, and all transistors functioning, using up power, and aging the components (such as aging is a factor).

Sleeping the screen actually switches it off.

Your MacBook does NOT default to a screen saver: that's actually the display sleeping. (See Energy Saver pane in System Preferences)

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2012, 08:07 AM

thanks S and Reader.
I swear I think my brand new Macbook air was defaulted to the apple screensaver. Don't remember setting that.

Anyway,
Do you recommend screen saver? I've had 27" on all days for years. Does it matter help?

I tested using a hotspot, and when I put mouse in corner nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Lastly, the screensaver called text/ apple logo on my 27", it has text: imac jeff, this text is greyed out and my cursor wont enter the text field, any ideas? /thanks.

P
Dec 3, 2012, 12:54 AM

Do you recommend screen saver? I've had 27" on all days for years. Does it matter help?
I recommend telling the display to turn off. Screen savers were invented for old CRTs, when you both had to protect the screen phosphor and wanted to avoid turning the displays on and off too much. With LCDs, it's best to just kill the backlight.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2012, 10:06 AM

P currently I have full display on all day, and then the computer sleeps and night.

Sometimes, I need to run it at night and then I turn off the display. The keystoke can be difficult to work, is there another easy way to get the display off?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2012, 10:10 AM

Hot corner in the System Preferences. (Check in the "Desktop and Screen Saver" pane)

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2012, 05:28 PM

I have my magic mouse programmed to sleep the display with a three-finger downward swipe. Doesn't get any easier than that and, if you're like me, it's nearly impossible to do by accident, unlike hot corners which I inevitably manage to activate at random.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2012, 08:12 PM

thanks S, I don't want a screensaver. (anyway I tested it and did not get it to work)
thanks gradient. I don't have your mouse, but let me ask both:

What about a menu item? The dang keystroke is finicky, never seen a keystroke not work to much.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2012, 10:15 PM

Jeff - what people are suggesting with a hot corner in the Screen Saver section isn't a screen saver - it's what it seems you want, triggered by a hot corner rather than a menu item. That, or the suggestion immediately above from gradient would work perfectly for you by the look of it.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2012, 11:40 PM

thanks S, I don't want a screensaver. (anyway I tested it and did not get it to work)
thanks gradient. I don't have your mouse, but let me ask both:
What about a menu item? The dang keystroke is finicky, never seen a keystroke not work to much.
To the best of my knowledge there isn't a menu item add-on for this. If you really want to click on something you could put SleepDisplay in your Dock, though.

It's a 5-year old app, but I just tried it in Mountain Lion for the heck of it and it works fine.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2012, 03:46 PM

all of me, confusing to read, but are you saying the hot corner works without needing a screensaver?

thanks G. I'll check out the app, you have a link?

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2012, 03:59 PM

thanks G. I'll check out the app, you have a link?
The link was embedded in my post.

http://www.malcolmhall.com/products/sleepdisplay/

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2012, 06:07 PM

thanks G will look. Still would like to understand how to do the hot corner. Sorry for my lameness on that, still don't get it.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2012, 06:55 PM

In System Preferences, Desktop & Screen Saver (Screen Saver page). Click Hot Corners and change whichever corner you want to 'Put Display to Sleep'.

7161/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Now when you move your mouse all the way into that corner of the screen, your display(s) will turn off.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2012, 09:12 PM

Ok G got it. I was just putting the cursor in left general area, you need to really put it the corner all the way to the end.
That software works good too thanks.
Anyone know why the keystroke does not always work?

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2012, 11:09 PM

I did not know about the control-shift-eject trick. Neat! Works reliably for me unless there is a process running that cancels display sleep.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2012, 09:35 AM

chas, explain that. This is only keystroke that sometimes works, and many times does not work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules