Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple, Tesla engaged in job poaching war, report says

Apple, Tesla engaged in job poaching war, report says
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 6, 2015, 12:30 PM

Apple and Tesla are battling to recruit each other's designers and engineers, and Tesla largely appears to be winning, according to Bloomberg. The electric car company has recruited over 150 former Apple workers so far -- including Doug Field, who once oversaw the design of the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac, but is now the VP of Tesla's vehicle program. Some of the converts have cited Tesla's CEO, Elon Musk, as one of the major incentives to switch. The executive is often considered a wunderkind of both the tech and transportation industries, and will even personally interview high-profile job candidates and chat with them on topics like programming.

Musk suggests that Apple has been trying "very hard" to shift the flow of workers in the opposite direction, but that "so far they've actually recruited very few people." He notes that Apple has been offering hiring bonuses as high as $250,000, and salary increases up to 60 percent.

Tesla's designs are believed to be strongly influenced by the ex-Apple contingent. The touchscreen dash interface in the Model S was developed by former Apple designer Brennan Boblett, with help from even more people with Apple experience, such as freelance consultant Joe Nuxoll. George Blankenship, who worked on Apple's retail chain, went to Tesla in 2010 to develop the carmaker's minimalist open showrooms, although he left in 2013.

Apple isn't likely to be venturing into the automotive world, as least not yet -- or beyond CarPlay. The company has been operating vans with sensors that look like they belong on self-driving vehicles, but doesn't have any test permits for self-driving systems.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Feb 11, 2015 at 05:52 AM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2015, 02:45 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine someone leaving Apple, with all its cool new stuff, for a company that makes electric cars. Cars, electric are not, haven't really changed in decades. My 1981 Toyota gets me from Point A to Point B as easily as the latest and most pricey Tesla.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

climacs
Senior User
Feb 6, 2015, 05:07 PM

Inkling, I commend you for your refusal to join in the mindless consumer culture, but you're likely in a small minority of people who would willingly drive a car that's 33 years old.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2015, 05:54 PM

You apparently have not ridden in a Tesla!

Lots of people use cars for more than just getting from point A to point B, or place a higher importance than you on all the details (comfort, features, etc.) about getting from point A to point B. Nothing wrong with that.

Kees
Feb 7, 2015, 04:21 AM

getting a new car and the high expectations for all its bells and whistles is probably one of the few things that gets most people more excited than getting an new iDevice/Mac.

On a more personal note, I think the automotive industry may need to rethink the use of touch screens. I just drove a company'ss Tesla for a few days while my Audi was in the shop and I have to say, getting around the MMI interface in the Audi feels both saver and easier. Sure, I don't have an app for it, and it doesn't have quite the cool factor, but when fiddling with real controls, by touch, at least you can keep your eyes on the road.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2015, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine someone leaving Apple, with all its cool new stuff, for a company that makes electric cars. Cars, electric are not, haven't really changed in decades. My 1981 Toyota gets me from Point A to Point B as easily as the latest and most pricey Tesla.
A Tesla has as much in common with a 30-year-old Toyota as an iPhone does with a rotary phone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules