Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Dark Glass theme

Dark Glass theme
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 06:29 PM

Ok before you get too excited about it I should let you know that it's just a mockup I did and I've never made a theme before, so I don't know if I'll be able to make it or how long it will take if I do. If Max or swiz would like to make it I'd be fine with that. *hint hint* I'm also thinking of making red, green, and graphite versions of it. Anyway I'm going to keep working on this idea and if any one who knows how to make themes would like to make it let me know.
click one

macmike42
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 06:35 PM

Very nice. Unless you use any Cocoa applications.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2003, 06:35 PM

that might be hard to make cause the carbon apps always have Black text.

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 06:46 PM

I've thought about that, I was thinking I could pull it off the way Takashi Izawa did with DSX, or how swiz did with TuXedo. I was thinking OS X needs more dark themes, and I'm not going to let Cocoa apps get in the way. It just needs some tweaking.
click one

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2003, 07:46 PM

i like it.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 12:11 AM

I like it. Yes, a dark theme would be a nice change. Hope you or one of the themers have time to work on this. Great idea.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 03:16 AM

I like it but the window titlebar need some works. It seem unfinished somehow.

I really do like the scrollbar though. One of the cleanest I've seen.

smeger
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 04:19 AM

This is groovy - makes me think of the car from Knight Rider.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 05:12 AM

Looks very clean and sharp, I say go for it

headbirth
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 07:49 AM

X definetly could use more dark themes, but the problem is that the background colors still can't be changed for many system windows and your often faced with these gapping white holes that are hard on the eyes.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 09:57 AM

Not to mention that text won't be visible on the window backgrounds.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 12:33 PM

Yes it is unfinished. I may be able to lighten it a bit, but I really want to keep it as dark as I can. Any ideas from the pros?
click one

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Yes it is unfinished. I may be able to lighten it a bit, but I really want to keep it as dark as I can. Any ideas from the pros?
Looks nice and promising
Keep going..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
that might be hard to make cause the carbon apps always have Black text.
yeah... maybe a light blue or grey version? Light Glass?

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 08:22 PM

This is probably a terrible idea, but it just popped into my head as I was reading this thread and I thought I'd share it.

The problem with dark themes is that Cocoa applications don't honor the font colors for things like title bars, etc. The only solution seen thus far has been to put some lighter color behind the text that needs to change color, but this means there's no point in making the text light in Carbon apps either, since then *that* will look out of place.

What I was thinking was this: Cocoa applications can support the metal look, whereas Carbon applications currently cannot. Therefore, a theme like Dark Glass could be designed exactly as the mockup shows, and then a version for Cocoa applications could also be made and loaded into the metal resources for the theme. Metallifizer could then be used to set all Cocoa applications to use the "metal" appearance. Yes, this would result in a less consistent interface, but considering the crowd that hangs out around here people might actually like to know whether they're using Cocoa or Carbon anyway. Thoughts?

Oh, by the way... as far as design advice, I have only one tidbit: don't use a round rect for the color change in the title bar. I find that looks jarring and the text feels cramped. Try a gradient from dark on the outside to light on the inside instead, perhaps.

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
This is probably a terrible idea, but it just popped into my head as I was reading this thread and I thought I'd share it.

The problem with dark themes is that Cocoa applications don't honor the font colors for things like title bars, etc. The only solution seen thus far has been to put some lighter color behind the text that needs to change color, but this means there's no point in making the text light in Carbon apps either, since then *that* will look out of place.

What I was thinking was this: Cocoa applications can support the metal look, whereas Carbon applications currently cannot. Therefore, a theme like Dark Glass could be designed exactly as the mockup shows, and then a version for Cocoa applications could also be made and loaded into the metal resources for the theme. Metallifizer could then be used to set all Cocoa applications to use the "metal" appearance. Yes, this would result in a less consistent interface, but considering the crowd that hangs out around here people might actually like to know whether they're using Cocoa or Carbon anyway. Thoughts?

Oh, by the way... as far as design advice, I have only one tidbit: don't use a round rect for the color change in the title bar. I find that looks jarring and the text feels cramped. Try a gradient from dark on the outside to light on the inside instead, perhaps.
That's a good idea with the Metallifizer!

Not sure if a dark to light gradient would work... I was trying to keep in mind the light source, and that might through it off. I might try it though in a mockup.
click one

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Apr 9, 2003, 05:50 PM

Well, I meant a gradient that preserves the light source... like this:

See? Please pardon my plundering of your pixels, and I don't know whether the gradient could be made that wide anyway, but... looks okay, eh?

suprz
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 06:34 PM

i think it looks awesome

i want it
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 08:31 PM

That might work... Kinda how tux has a white part for the title bar. And if I lighten everything els up a bit it might work fine with Cocoa applications. I'll mess with it a bit more and see how it looks.

Then if it looks good, I'll just need to learn how to make it into a real theme. Once again if anyone is interested in helping plz let me know.
click one

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
That might work... Kinda how tux has a white part for the title bar. And if I lighten everything els up a bit it might work fine with Cocoa applications. I'll mess with it a bit more and see how it looks.

Then if it looks good, I'll just need to learn how to make it into a real theme. Once again if anyone is interested in helping plz let me know.
Yes somebody helps him..
I like this dark glass..

Lyric OS 13.0
Apr 10, 2003, 11:18 PM

Drool:rool! Ok I want it.... Just a minor alteration to the title bar, and I think it'll be a hit.

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 03:18 PM

Ok I'll try to get it done this summer, hopfully with the help of Max and/or Swiz. For now keep an eye out for new mockups.
click one

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2003, 08:16 PM

I could make it in a week or two if you want me to, im not max or swiz but i know what i am doing.

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
I could make it in a week or two if you want me to, im not max or swiz but i know what i am doing.

yea, let mike give it a shot, i would love to seem this theme come to life.

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 08:36 PM

Hay thanks for the offer! I just might take you up on that. I'll give you an email and we'll talk.

I've just posted new mockups in a new topic, so check them out.
click one

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
Cool! go for it!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules