Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DVD-R proving unreliable

DVD-R proving unreliable
all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2003, 03:32 AM

Hi all,

I've been having some problems with my Ti when burning DVDs and while this has improved following the replacement of my superdrive it still isn't working as consistently as I'd like it to.

For reference, here's my original thread on it.

In Toast there's a "Simulation mode" which, when I tried to use it burnt a coaster regardless (a realistic simulation of previous behaviour ). Might this be of some help if used properly, and if so, how should I go about this?

Since receiving my computer back from repair I've burnt one disc successfully and one coaster. I wonder if it's possible that some of the data I've been trying to burn is corrupt in some way, thus affecting the burn. Is there a utility somewhere that can test for this sort of thing? The blanks aren't cheap enough in the UK to just keep feeding them through in the hope that they'll come right in the end.

Thanks for any help,
Ben

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2003, 08:03 AM

My TiBook continues to burn full DVDs fine. It seems like they simply didn't fix your problem (assuming there isn't something wrong with the OS, software, or media).

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2003, 08:54 AM

Do you get a 100% success rate, though, Eug? I was really worried that I'd be without the machine another month when the first disc I tried to burn didn't work, but the second one was perfect. That was never the case (with seven discs) on my machine pre-repair.

Do you get what I mean with respect to checking the data pre-burn? If it were possible then it might give me some clues as to why I've had problems burning.

Originally posted by Eug:
My TiBook continues to burn full DVDs fine. It seems like they simply didn't fix your problem (assuming there isn't something wrong with the OS, software, or media).

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by all2ofme:
Do you get a 100% success rate, though, Eug? I was really worried that I'd be without the machine another month when the first disc I tried to burn didn't work, but the second one was perfect. That was never the case (with seven discs) on my machine pre-repair.

Do you get what I mean with respect to checking the data pre-burn? If it were possible then it might give me some clues as to why I've had problems burning.
I've had so far one failure with good quality media, but that might have been my fault.

Otherwise, I've had about 15 or more successes with good media. Probably about half of those were full or near-full disks.

With crappy media, it's another story. I've tried about 5 generic noname disks, and most of those had problems. But then again I've had had the same terrible results with those generics using my desktop burner.

I use Apple discs exclusively now, but I've also had consistent success (on a different burner) with Mitsui and TDK.

Forum Links
Forum Rules