Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Looking for a dark/black icon set...

Looking for a dark/black icon set...
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 08:19 PM

I'm looking for a nice dark icon set (black best) to match SS TuXedo. So far I haven't found anything I like.... Any suggestions?
click one

Dace
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
I'm looking for a nice dark icon set (black best) to match SS TuXedo. So far I haven't found anything I like.... Any suggestions?
I would have suggested my DSX-I but they have yellow in them. How about the Tux'n'tosh icons?

Link: http://xicons.com/designer/214/index.html

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 11:39 PM

hmmm no it's got some nice icons but I don't like the folers. I'll keep looking, or make my own if I get the time.
click one

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2003, 12:36 AM

Here are some good ones. A little shiny though. http://mixthepix.com/index2.php?icon=46

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2003, 01:39 PM

They're pretty dark, but it's a matter of opinion whether or not they'd work for what you want. Check out the Silver System Icons here; http://www.ResExcellence.com/archive...1/system.shtml
|wishing is for suckers|

Dace
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by TheDisaster:
They're pretty dark, but it's a matter of opinion whether or not they'd work for what you want. Check out the Silver System Icons here; http://www.ResExcellence.com/archive...1/system.shtml
Hey! My DSX-I are listed there as well.

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 02:37 PM

ya the DSX ones are cool, but the yellow doesn't work with tuxedo...
click one

Lew
Senior User
Jun 11, 2003, 05:43 PM

How about these?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2003, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by GFive:
How about these?

Wow, those are hot! Normally I don't like 'Folder' style icons at all, but those are really nice looking.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Dace
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 11:01 PM

How about these?

Me no likey, no offense, but it looks too "made-with-Photoshop-filters-only-and-quickly-put-together-with-little-to-no-creativity".

Lew
Senior User
Jun 12, 2003, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by Dace:
Me no likey, no offense, but it looks too "made-with-Photoshop-filters-only-and-quickly-put-together-with-little-to-no-creativity".
Probably because that's exactly what they are (apart from the 'quickly' bit)

I made these ages ago when I was trying to learn to use Photoshop Elements 1.0 back in the OS X 10.1 days. They actually took ages due to a lot of hand-tweaking (not to mention the fact that the icons on the folder were actually screen-grabbed from TextEdit because Classic's font smoothing looked like arse).

Besides, they were meant to be reminiscent of the styling of the G3 PowerBooks. Bearing that in mind I think they work quite well.
( Last edited by Lew; Jun 12, 2003 at 07:51 AM. )

Dace
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 11:03 AM

Well I still don't like them, sorry.

How about this folder:

It's a mockup I created with Illustrator and Photoshop, I was inspired by Paul Boyer's "LaST (Cobalt)" icons (since I'm unable to come up with original folders)as well by, of course,TuXedo. I plan on completing this icon set and releasing it later on...like it or not.

Giano
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2003, 11:10 AM

oh my GOD!!!!!
release it release it release it release it....!!!!

Lew
Senior User
Jun 12, 2003, 11:40 AM

no offense, but it looks too "made-with-Photoshop-filters-only-and-quickly-put-together-with-little-to-no-creativity".
Oh and BTW, putting "no offence" before pissing on someone's work doesn't make it any less offensive. Thanks for the "little to no creativity" bit

Dace
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 01:02 PM

Oh and BTW, putting "no offence" before pissing on someone's work doesn't make it any less offensive. Thanks for the "little to no creativity" bit
Someone's a little too sensitive. Take it as creative criticism. I wasn't putting them down, I was simply stating my own personal opinion. You even said it yourself "(...)I was trying to learn to use Photoshop Elements(...)", so it's normal they look "amateur-ish". And I hate to say it, but you can't honestly tell me that you put much creativity into the icons...they resemble folders and they have the default icons. I thought you hadn't taken offense judging by your second post, what changed? Feel free to put down my folder; I don't mind, I like the way my folder came out and that's what matters.

Lew
Senior User
Jun 12, 2003, 01:23 PM

Feel free to put down my folder
Why would I do that. It's a nice design. Reminds me of the NeXT folders a little.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 12, 2003, 02:25 PM

I take it you are well experienced in that way of doing things?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 12, 2003, 02:28 PM

Why would I do that. It's a nice design. Reminds me of the NeXT folders a little.
He needs to do something about the jaggies though.

Dace
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I take it you are well experienced in that way of doing things?
Yup, I am. That's how I started out learning Photoshop, first just using filters and then slowly learning how to create the effects myself. How did u start out? You probably already were an expert even before ever using Photoshop..right?

And yeah I'm aware about the jaggies, thanks for pointing it out...didn't think they mattered too much, but if you noticed, then I'll have to fix them. It's a work in progress, even plan to add a drop shadow.

It's not surprising they remind you of NeXT icons...since the LaST icons were inspired by them and now I'm inspired by the LaST icons.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 12, 2003, 05:10 PM

Yup, I am. That's how I started out learning Photoshop, first just using filters and then slowly learning how to create the effects myself. How did u start out? You probably already were an expert even before ever using Photoshop..right?
Of course not. But I didn't get good by belittling others work, trying to make myself feel better about my own.

Dace
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 05:24 PM

Of course not. But I didn't get good by belittling others work, trying to make myself feel better about my own.

[/B]
I wasn't "belittling" anybody's work...I was being honest. "The harder the truth, the truer the friend that says it". If I created folders like that I wouldn't be happy...I was simply telling him to ease up on the filters and try something creative rather than plain. I'm sure he can do better, so why settle for less?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 12, 2003, 06:58 PM

I wasn't "belittling" anybody's work...I was being honest. "The harder the truth, the truer the friend that says it". If I created folders like that I wouldn't be happy...I was simply telling him to ease up on the filters and try something creative rather than plain. I'm sure he can do better, so why settle for less?
There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. I just believe such things could have been done with a little more tact and less condescending attitude that is all.

"made-with-Photoshop-filters-only-and-quickly-put-together-with-little-to-no-creativity"

Doesn't follow along with constructive criticism. IMHO of course.

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 07:33 PM

Well I still don't like them, sorry.

How about this folder:

It's a mockup I created with Illustrator and Photoshop, I was inspired by Paul Boyer's "LaST (Cobalt)" icons (since I'm unable to come up with original folders)as well by, of course,TuXedo. I plan on completing this icon set and releasing it later on...like it or not.
It could use some hi-lights to bring-out the edges and string, but looks nice. Make sure you work on the smallest and toolbar sizes just as much as the full size cuz I don't know anyone who uses the full size on anything but the desktop.
click one

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 12, 2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
It could use some hi-lights to bring-out the edges and string, but looks nice. Make sure you work on the smallest and toolbar sizes just as much as the full size cuz I don't know anyone who uses the full size on anything but the desktop.
Yeah if it doesn't look good at 32pixels don't use it.

I've seen lots of icons that look good, but at 32pixels look like crap.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jun 12, 2003, 11:54 PM

Yeah if it doesn't look good at 32pixels don't use it.

I've seen lots of icons that look good, but at 32pixels look like crap.
True dat.
Ive made alot of icons but when I make alternate sizes I wasnt happy with them so I never release them. heh

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Forum Links
Forum Rules