Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Keep me up all night!

Keep me up all night! (Page 2)
starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by hadocon:
Lots of visitors already this morning... Awesome!
No, it's just all me

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

willed
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2005, 10:40 AM

I'm afraid it was me who said "I am watching you" - it wasn't really God.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2005, 10:45 AM

I tried changing the voices. Does the -v work?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Sealobo
Mar 15, 2005, 11:16 AM

This could be fun...

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2005, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by starman:
I tried changing the voices. Does the -v work?

Mike
No, you don't have access to the actual 'say' command - for security reasons... If I allowed that there would be nothing stopping you from 'rm -rf' my whole drive. I plan to implement voice selection in the future via a drop-down menu.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2005, 12:33 PM

Some nice April 1st pranks with the voice command:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...19&query=prank

-t

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2005, 12:10 AM

still alive?

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2005, 12:59 AM

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2005, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
still alive?
Yep, I'm still going strong. This little script sure is proving to be quite fun! I am hoping that you guys/gals will continue to 'say' some cool/interesting things on my server. I must admit though that I have been woken up 3 or 4 times already by this. I can't tell you how weird it was the first few times to be woken-up in the middle of the night by the voice of "Fred" (Or is that Stephen Hawking?)... Certainly freaky, but still fun

20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2005, 03:01 AM

I must admit though that I have been woken up 3 or 4 times already by this. I can't tell you how weird it was the first few times to be woken-up in the middle of the night by the voice of "Fred" (Or is that Stephen Hawking?)... Certainly freaky, but still fun

I'm in the west coast.. so sorry if I woke you up.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2005, 09:20 AM

[B]I must admit though that I have been woken up 3 or 4 times already by this./B]
The 'NN needs to do a better job, since the title of the post is to "Keep me up all night!"...only 3-4 times you have been woken up? Turn up that volume!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 07:50 PM

This thread needs a bump.

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
This thread needs a bump.
Hey gang. I am away from my apartment this week at the CHI 2005 conference in Portland Oregon. My girlfriend is staying at my apartment for the week. I am sure that she would get a kick out of hearing some kewl comments from you ppl. Please if you can, don't make the server talk any-time after about midnight Eastern Standard Time - if you do she will get annoyed and might just pull th eplug on the server altogether...

Also I have received a few code enhancements (like being able to support punctuation), and I am about to implement a way to allow you to choose the voice, so please if you can... stay tuned! Hopefully I can get those posted after my finals on the 22nd.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 12:03 PM

you just got messaged.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 12:13 PM

hello from london, then Bonjour to your girlfriend

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 03:48 PM

The code has been updated to properly handle punctuation. Digits are still a bit of a problem, but not as much. Special thanks to Gary.

Check out the details here

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 04:56 PM

OK everyone. I have been up to no good and have come up with yet another way you can bother my girlfriend and I. A WAP gateway to the OS X 'say' shell command! If you have a WAP capable mobile phone (over 90% of active phones have this capability) you can point your WAP browser to
http://c0nn0r.info/mobisay3.wml and have some fun. I am just getting started learning WML, so it may have some bugs... I have played with it for a bit and it seems to work fine

Enjoy!

------------

Geek-Human translation:

If you enter http://c0nn0r.info/mobisay3.wml in the WAP browser you already have on your cellphone you will be able to type in some text and then have my server speak that text out loud.
( Last edited by hadocon; May 21, 2005 at 06:21 PM. )

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by hadocon
OK everyone. I have been up to no good and have come up with yet another way you can bother my girlfriend and I. A WAP gateway to the OS X 'say' shell command! If you have a WAP capable mobile phone (over 90% of active phones have this capability) you can point your WAP browser to
http://c0nn0r.info/mobisay3.wml and have some fun. I am just getting started learning WML, so it may have some bugs... I have played with it for a bit and it seems to work fine

Enjoy!
If you get a chance to try this out on your phone, could you do me a favor and reply with your make and model of phone and also let me know if you encountered any bugs....

Thanx

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 08:25 PM

Just tried it on my S/E T637... worked as expected.

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Is all the code in your HTML page or do you have stuff on the server side as well.
If so, could you post the code.

I am going to sell my eMac (for space reasons) and get a Mac mini for a small home server.
I could have so much fun with this when I get it all set up. Thanks!
Hey, just wondering if you ever did get that Mac Mini and if you ever installed my "saycode" script... If anyone is interested in installing this on their computer and interfacing it with the web, let me know and I;ll lend a hand... It's pretty easy.

http://c0nn0r.info/blog

Click the link in my .sig to get to the web "Saycode" interface and give it a try. It for sure works, but I wont be abel to hear it as I'm not living in my apartment this semester... I'm doing a fellowship @ MIT!

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2006, 11:33 AM

Ok, if you're doing cool text-to-speech + web objects, and you're at MIT - who are you working with (I'm ex-Media Lab)

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows
Ok, if you're doing cool text-to-speech + web objects, and you're at MIT - who are you working with (I'm ex-Media Lab)
I'm working with Ted Selker in the Context-Aware Lab... but this litle project is something that I did a while ago, and has nothing to do with school...

Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 01:30 PM

Wicked.

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 01:51 PM

so you cant hear our messages anymore?

"when I think about you I touch myself"

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
so you cant hear our messages anymore?

"when I think about you I touch myself"
Well, I can't hear them because I'm not living in that apartment right now. Now it's just my "Datacenter" - so the server still makes noise, there is just no-one there to hear it...

rparke1
Banned
Feb 13, 2006, 12:36 AM

dang it, and i did a lot of spooky im watching you things too

alligator
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 12:42 AM

I'd like to give it a shot. What do I need to do to set it up? Send me a PM.

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by rparke1
dang it, and i did a lot of spooky im watching you things too
I suppose I could rig something up to my place in Boston... I guess I could just use dynDNS 'cause I'm using public wifi @ my apartment and point the script at my computer here... I woudl be super kewl if I could get TXT-2-SPEACH working on my phone - so I could always have people on the web (and WAP) talk to me... ;-)

I've actually looked around for stuff that will let me do this on my SE P900 or Sidekick. I could do it if I had a PocketPC... Ideally Nokia will give me one of their N70 Linux webpads... Sorry. I was daydreaming there... ;-)

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 12:23 AM

There is someone subletting my apartment now where the server resides. H has already told me that he thinks he hears my computer talking (He has no idea it's a server, and that ppl can make it talk)

So, go for it!

BTW, here is the link where you can make my server talk out loud using web based text-2-speech
( Last edited by hadocon; Jun 3, 2006 at 12:47 AM. Reason: add pertinent info)

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 06:54 PM

I never set it up because I can't get a server running. I'd really like to use the script but I'd like to use it on a computer that I leave running that is NOT a server. Can this be done?

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by alligator
I never set it up because I can't get a server running. I'd really like to use the script but I'd like to use it on a computer that I leave running that is NOT a server. Can this be done?
The computer does not have to be a "server" - the program of course will run on any machine running OS X, but it will only be useful if remote people have access to it.

Of courrse one could simply just ssh to their target OS X box and issue the 'say' command at the terminal. This method only requires that the target machine is accessable from another computer and that it has ssh activated.

My little program is a web interface to the 'say' command. As it is web-based, the target computer will of course have* to have a web server on it...

... that is, unluss you have another webserver available, and just direct the call to the target (via ssh - it's basically a homebrew RPC <<--- remote procedure call)

This app I made certainly requires the the end user to know quite a bit about the command line and networking/webserving.

I suppose that if there is enough interest I could package it a bit better - a double-click kinda deal.

karent
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2006, 09:32 PM

My autistic son is getting a kick out of our laptop talking to him. I'm using the say command in the terminal window to tell him to go take a shower.

Thanks for the fun!

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by karent
My autistic son is getting a kick out of our laptop talking to him. I'm using the say command in the terminal window to tell him to go take a shower.

Thanks for the fun!
Hey no problem. That's what this stuff is for!

Machitect
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 09:46 PM

Haha! This is great. I really hope you're there.
I just sent the 'You have no chance to survive make your time.'

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Omgroflwtf
Haha! This is great. I really hope you're there.
I just sent the 'You have no chance to survive make your time.'
I'm not there. But I have subletted the appartment to an old friend, so I'm sure he's currently trying to figure out if he is going crazy or not. I'll let everyone know if he mentions something to me about it.

Machitect
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 09:56 PM

Now I'm acting like God and telling him/her to repent. I hope he's/she's listening.

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Omgroflwtf
Now I'm acting like God and telling him/her to repent. I hope he's/she's listening.
Funny. He's Jewish. ;-) Probably won't faze him...

karent
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by hadocon
I'm not there. But I have subletted the appartment to an old friend, so I'm sure he's currently trying to figure out if he is going crazy or not.
What time zone is this apartment in?
How loud is the volume?
How crazy is he going to be after all of us?

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by karent
What time zone is this apartment in?
How loud is the volume?
How crazy is he going to be after all of us?
It's EST. And to be honest, I think that he's proably in Toronto for the weekend. Best time to test this is probably weekday evening or mornings.

Machitect
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 10:06 PM

Hehehehhehe...thanks for the info. Now I'm saying I'm jesus. Lol.

Forum Links
Forum Rules