Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Borrowing Music CDs from Public Library

Borrowing Music CDs from Public Library
legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2006, 03:05 AM

I was at the library the other day and checked out a stack of CDs for my son to listen to. I'm going to compile some of the music for him and got to wondering if that's legally allowed not like I'm going to let that sway my decision to...

Any idea? Would I be allowed to make a duplicate CD for my next door neighbor since, technically, he could just as easily go out and do the same?

I imagine it should fall under the fair use terms, but I'd be interested to see what other people think.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 6, 2006, 03:08 AM

You have my permission.

Just noticed you live in Canada so it's not against the law.

You pay a surtax on all blank CDs for this right.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2006, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
You have my permission.

Just noticed you live in Canada so it's not against the law.

You pay a surtax on all blank CDs for this right.

Damn right. But Jesus might think you are stealing

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

meelk
Baninated
Jan 6, 2006, 03:58 AM

I do it!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2006, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by legacyb4
I was at the library the other day and checked out a stack of CDs for my son to listen to. I'm going to compile some of the music for him and got to wondering if that's legally allowed not like I'm going to let that sway my decision to...

Any idea? Would I be allowed to make a duplicate CD for my next door neighbor since, technically, he could just as easily go out and do the same?

I imagine it should fall under the fair use terms, but I'd be interested to see what other people think.
Illegal but who cares. Just a side note, the Burnaby Branch at metrotown has the best selection of music and the second and third best selections are the Coquitlam branch beside Centennial High School and the New West main branch on 6th infront of the Royal City Mall or what ever its called. The New West branch also has a good selection of VHS and DVD Movies . Best thing is depending on where you live, if you borrow from any library in Richmond, Coquitlam, Burnaby, New West, Surrey, Vancouver... you can drop them off at any library that is close to you. They have a return network setup.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 6, 2006, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
Illegal
NOT...NOT...NOT!!!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2006, 04:48 AM

Yes it is, you are allowed to make copies of your own owned music, not borrowed music.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 6, 2006, 04:52 AM

Yes it is, you are allowed to make copies of your own owned music, not borrowed music.
Bullshit!

You can download music off the internet and record it too.

slap, slap, slap.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2006, 04:56 AM

technically no you cant, but the levey makes it inpossible for the record companies to sue. Its still illegal under the criminal code. And while the record companies have there hands tied for sueing and getting records from ISPs if some one turned you in for it its still something that can land you charges by the crown. Has it happened no. Like I said technically it is, but nothing is going to ever happen

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2006, 11:50 PM

I haven't tried it yet.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Railroader
Banned
Jan 7, 2006, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
Damn right. But Jesus might think you are stealing
Matthew 22:15-21

meelk
Baninated
Jan 7, 2006, 12:27 AM

afaik thats illegal under the DMCA now.
Fair Use died a silent death on capital hill, and the American public didnt defend it. Sad, but true.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 12:35 AM

Im in Canada its a bit different here because we pay a levy on all blank media.

hayesk
Jan 7, 2006, 03:14 PM

Im in Canada its a bit different here because we pay a levy on all blank media.
Wrong!

The levy is actually because they believe we should have to pay to make copies of our own music. Yes, it's incredibly stupid and an insult to fair use, but that's exactly what it is for.

It does not make copying music legal. It's a stupid myth that people keep telling others because they really want it to be true.

The only reason we can still get away with it in Canada is because the law never explicitly and realistically addressed internet downloading. Canadians who copy music are exploiting a loophole that is likely to be closed in the near future.

Regardless, you shouldn't copy music because it is failing compensating the performers, writers, artists, sound engineers, etc., not because of a law, right? (that's going to get a few laughs, I'm sure) I know, I know, you only copy artists you don't really care for. That doesn't wash with me - it's like saying it's ok to rob people that you don't like.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
afaik thats illegal under the DMCA now.
Fair Use died a silent death on capital hill, and the American public didnt defend it. Sad, but true.
That doesn't apply in Canada.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2006, 04:15 PM

DMCA doesn't apply, it's very legal- aren't you guys taxed for that? O_o
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2006, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk
Wrong!

The levy is actually because they believe we should have to pay to make copies of our own music. Yes, it's incredibly stupid and an insult to fair use, but that's exactly what it is for.

It does not make copying music legal. It's a stupid myth that people keep telling others because they really want it to be true.

The only reason we can still get away with it in Canada is because the law never explicitly and realistically addressed internet downloading. Canadians who copy music are exploiting a loophole that is likely to be closed in the near future.

Regardless, you shouldn't copy music because it is failing compensating the performers, writers, artists, sound engineers, etc., not because of a law, right? (that's going to get a few laughs, I'm sure) I know, I know, you only copy artists you don't really care for. That doesn't wash with me - it's like saying it's ok to rob people that you don't like.
You said it, loophole, I never said it was legal to copy your own music, but because of the levy, there is a loophole that allows it because the levy is for royalties to the artist. 99% of the blank CDs I use is for Data, yet im paying a levy that pays artists. I personally think the levy should go away. BTW I already said it was illegal to copy music you don't own. Perhaps you should read all the posts again.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 8, 2006, 01:39 AM

I find it amazing that in Canada you find it acceptable that you pay a special tax for CD-Rs. I never use CD-Rs for music. Only for data. I'd be paying a tax for nothing.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2006, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
I find it amazing that in Canada you find it acceptable that you pay a special tax for CD-Rs. I never use CD-Rs for music. Only for data. I'd be paying a tax for nothing.
Ya its stupid, but this has also created the mess for the courts and the music companies. It created a loophole that while not intended to allow downloading and coping music from libraries and friends, its made it next to impossible for the music companies to sue too.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2006, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk
Wrong!

BTW you left out its technically illegal to rip your music to put on a ipod or any MP3 player.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 8, 2006, 01:53 AM

BTW you left out its technically illegal to rip your music to put on a ipod or any MP3 player.
Not in the USA. It's considered fair use to make back-ups.

Why is it illegal to rip it and put it into your iPod in Canada? what laws prohibit it?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2006, 01:57 AM

I find it amazing that in the US you don't have universal access to basic medical care. I find it amazing that you can legally own assault weapons as a private citizen. I find it amazing that you can die for for your country at age 18 but you can't have a drink until you're 21.

Amazing, isn't it?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2006, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
I find it amazing that in the US you don't have universal access to basic medical care. I find it amazing that you can legally own assault weapons as a private citizen. I find it amazing that you can die for for your country at age 18 but you can't have a drink until you're 21.

Amazing, isn't it?

Back to the subject at hand. I suspect it's technically illegal, but I'm sure that it's done a regular basis.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2006, 02:00 AM

Aren't library materials owned by the public anyway? My tax dollars are going to support and purchase materials, so I own some of it, regardless of how small a piece. This strikes me as a grey area. Maybe I'm just trying to justify it.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Railroader
Banned
Jan 8, 2006, 02:52 AM

I find it amazing that in the US you don't have universal access to basic medical care.
We do.

You'll have one helluva law suit if you can find a hospital that refuses to treat you in a life or death situation.
I find it amazing that you can legally own assault weapons as a private citizen.
You are ignorant of the fact that most AR rifles are banned? Do you think we have access to any weapon we want? That says a lot about you.
I find it amazing that you can die for for your country at age 18 but you can't have a drink until you're 21.
Me too. The drinking age should be dropped to 16.
Amazing, isn't it?
Not really. These are topics that people have deeply held feelings on.

But I understand your insecurity. You don't like people pointing out the flaws in the Canadian legal system.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2006, 03:14 AM

But I understand your insecurity. You don't like people pointing out the flaws in the Canadian legal system.
I'm not insecure. Just quietly amused that you are, as per usual, finding it necessary to make this conversation personal. What I was trying to say was simply that we all have things we are finding hard to understand. You're finding it hard to understand that there is a levy on blank CDs in Canada. I am finding it hard to understand that in the US you can die of cancer without getting the appropriate medical care just because you don't have the money for medical insurance.

I am not saying that I don't agree with you on the tax on blank media, nor do I assume that you might disagree with me on the medical situation. So, there's no need to be defensive.

legacyb4  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 03:32 AM

Thanks for keeping the topic on track. I wasn't really asking about the downloading off the Internet side of the coin; rather, specifically items available through your public library which are funded by your tax dollars.

Just got to thinking about it because you never hear of the RIAA going after the libraries for making music freely available; seems kind of hypocritical to say you can't distribute or (gasp) share music you've gotten from the library when anyone could simply do the same.

I guess that will change when the first of the DRM-enabled CDs make their way into the library shelves...

As far as the tax levy goes, it's odd how London Drugs will advertise sale prices on CD-R media close to what Future Shop/Best Buy offer but throw on the levy tax when the other shops don't; who in their right mind buys from LD?

Originally Posted by KarlG

Back to the subject at hand. I suspect it's technically illegal, but I'm sure that it's done a regular basis.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

hayesk
Jan 8, 2006, 11:37 AM

No, the law does say you can make private copies for your own use. It's fairly clear in that. But unfortunately, the law also allows the levy to compensate artists for that privilege. Yes, it is unjust and stupid.

Oh, by the way, you are right - you didn't say it was legal to copy music from others in Canada. I believe it was Rolling Bones who implied it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules