Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Preserving our freedoms

Preserving our freedoms
iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2008, 12:06 PM

Can we get rid of the THREAT LEVEL: ORANGE, HIGH!

Do we really have to live under such a contrived notion? If not, fine, then this is evidence that W failed. 7 years and over a trillion dollars later and we can't manage to give our citizens a sense of safety? Stronger measures are certainly in order, you're not afraid to give up your freedom for your freedom are you? A real patriot would.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 12:08 PM

More importantly, does anyone perceive of a situation where it will dip below yellow? I don't.

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
More importantly, does anyone perceive of a situation where it will dip below yellow? I don't.
I'm an optimist in everyday life, but a cynic when it comes to lines. I'll take a yellow if it endangers my life and it means I get home faster and less babies are crying.

If you want an experiment in the stupidity of it all, go through the metal detectors multiple times with different stuff in your pockets. It's amazing what a 16 hour layover in Atlanta can teach you about airport insecurity once you get bored. I'll take convenience over fear any day. Hell, in the Vegas/Phoenix security lines, sometimes I wish someone would kill me for not driving!

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 01:01 PM

The whole threat level thing is security theatre. People get what they deserve though, and it seems that Americans are willing to be herded like sheep.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
The whole threat level thing is security theatre. People get what they deserve though, and it seems that Americans are willing to be herded like sheep.
Yea, because none of us can start the day without finding out what 'color' we are on. Get real, no one pays much attention to those security alert colors.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 01:17 PM

You are right - they are obviously ridiculous, as in most 'security' policy. And yet Americans tolerate it. That's the problem.

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Yea, because none of us can start the day without finding out what 'color' we are on. Get real, no one pays much attention to those security alert colors.
I remember several years ago, people in here were upset when they found out a program they downloaded which told them the current threat level was actually just a guy that randomly checked the threat level and updated it. It wasn't a script checking a gov't site, and they constantly wanted to know what the chances of getting terroristed were. Obviously, some people want to know. They should just send out a jpg with ORANGE always highlighted.

Well, it's been 7 years of high alert, any day now. As long as they keep it high, they can say I told you so and pass the blame through the bureaucracies.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 01:49 PM

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008, 11:10 PM

During my time here I have come to realize that we are not protecting our freedoms as in free to do what we want but the US is protecting our freedoms to consume - oil, play stations, HUMMERS, starbucks. As long as people have that they are happy. When people lose houses we give them 600 bucks to buy a play station.
( Last edited by mania; Jan 30, 2008 at 10:10 AM. )
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by mania View Post
During my time here I have come to realize that we are not protecting our freedoms as in free to do what we want but the US is protecting our freedoms to consume - oil, play stations, HUMMERS, starbucks. As long as people have that they are happy. When people loose houses we give them 600 bucks to buy a play station.
I hope so, maybe they'll get a PS3. We need to get more Blu-ray players out there.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

tie
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2008, 03:08 AM

Just because a security measure is pointless for security does not make it unjustified. Things like this are very important for making people feel safe, so they are good ideas. It is like the liquids in your carry-ons deal. Some people love to separate out all their liquids and put them in a clear plastic bag to hold in their hand as they walk. It makes them feel better. Other people just walk through with their liquids in the carry on as usual. They don't like to waste their time. I like this kind of voluntary security measure; it is too bad they don't make taking your shoes off and your laptop out voluntary as well.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2008, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by mania View Post
During my time here I have come to realize that we are not protecting our freedoms as in free to do what we want but the US is protecting our freedoms to consume - oil, play stations, HUMMERS, starbucks. As long as people have that they are happy. When people lose houses we give them 600 bucks to buy a play station.
Time where exactly? Absolutely right on the consumption thing - I would not be surprised to see compulsory consumption laws pretty soon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules