Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Sort/Organize Calendar Items - Big Sur

Sort/Organize Calendar Items - Big Sur
ghporter
Administrator
Sep 3, 2022, 08:29 PM

The various items in my calendar display come from a variety of different calendars, shared and local.

How do I - if it's possible - sort or organize which calendar and/or items are listed first? Since each day in the monthly view can show a maximum of 3 items (or two items with "X more..." just looking at the month view is kind of useless if a particular day is busy.

It's worse; I have multiple birthday listings for individuals, and I haven't been able to figure out where the extras come from or how to purge them. That means that each day could potentially have IMPORTANT APPOINTMENTS that are hidden by two reminders of my brother's birthday...

So, any ideas, clues, tips? Thanks!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reader50
Administrator
Sep 4, 2022, 12:39 PM

Mojave here. My calendar items do not obey the order shown for calendars in the sidebar. And while I can drag a calendar, it doesn't change the order - not even in the sidebar.

Best solution I've found: click the checkboxes beside the calendars. You can show each one's items one at a time.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 4, 2022, 04:47 PM

I was afraid of that. I'd tried changing the order of the calendars in the sidebar, without any noticeable effect. I was hoping there was a method that someone in Cupertino thought "everyone will see this trivial step without instructions", even though it was anything but trivial. Sigh.

I guess I'll have to go to at least week view to get the full picture. It isn't bad, but it isn't as user friendly as just having "important" calendar items show up at the top of a day on a monthly calendar view. You know, like a paper calendar would...

reader50
Administrator
Sep 4, 2022, 05:02 PM

Hmm ... if you have a good-sized monitor, Calendar is not one of those stupid fixed-sized Apple apps. You can resize it, even fill an entire monitor. Assuming you have the space (or a 2nd monitor) enlarging it will make everything visible in Month view.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2022, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I guess I'll have to go to at least week view to get the full picture. It isn't bad, but it isn't as user friendly as just having "important" calendar items show up at the top of a day on a monthly calendar view. You know, like a paper calendar would...
I like the idea of a digital calendar, but for me it can’t compete with dry erase. I’ve got two 12”x17” magnetic ones on the fridge. They’re “in my face” the way normal paper calendars are, but larger and easily modifiable.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 7, 2022, 10:38 AM

I’m primarily concerned about being able to read items on my 13” MBP. The iPadOS version is pretty much similar in what it shows - though I don’t think that it shows the items in the same order as on the MBP. I’ll mess with sizing the window on the MBP and see if I get more “important stuff” showing that way.

And I agree with the utility of dry erase calendars. We have a rather old one on the fridge that also serves as a message board, grocery list, and so on. But one of the biggest draws for using the Mac calendar is that I can also see the various calendar entries on my phone wherever I am. I can update or add appointments on the fly, and they show up everywhere. My dry erase grocery list? Not so much - but being the nerds that we are, we snap a picture of the grocery list before heading to the store.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2022, 04:35 PM

Oh, I totally want to use it. It has tons of advantages.

Unfortunately, I had to accept at some point if it’s left up to me to check a calendar, I won’t. I need it forced,

That was my big takeaway from “Getting Things Done” (GTD). It’s okay to dump an objectively superior system if a crummier one works better on a personal level.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 8, 2022, 02:37 PM

A system that is flawed but works for someone is superior (for them) to a “perfect” system that does not work for them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules