Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Ubero, Logging Out, and SSH

Ubero, Logging Out, and SSH
legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 10:16 PM

Following the Ubero speed up thread, I put my machine at home on near-full speed and logged out to maximize CPU power. However, I noticed that by doing so, I 'broke' my ability to SSH into my machine!?

Check the following thread for more nitty gritty details:
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=001541

I was hoping someone could possibly enlighten me on just what might be going on/wrong with what I thought to be a proper setup.

In a nutshell, when I log out locally on my machine, I can no longer SSH in. If I log in locally, I have to open up System Preference and toggle off then on (again) the "Allow Remote Login" before the sshd server starts to accept incoming connections.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

doggkruse
Jan 18, 2002, 01:34 AM

Just a guess but you probably have to change the allow remote user log on preference under the root account.
Geoff

This is my new signature, your new Team. Join Team MacNN

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2002, 02:29 AM

I've tried to SSH into my G4 runnning OS X in various ways. I used SSH Shell from SSH Communications Shell Group. I tried logging in with the G4 in these states:
1. UNIX Console not logged in; SSH connect successful
2. UNIX Console logged in; SSH connect successful
3. Mac OS X GUI not logged in; SSH connect successful
4. Mac OS X GUI logged in; SSH connect successful

When I SSH into my machine I never had no set up public/private keys. I just accepted whatever ones the OS chose.

PS I also have used Mandrake Linux terminals to SSH into my Mac, but I was always also logged into the GUI. I'll test it without logging in and see how well that works.
-- SBS --

legacyb4  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2002, 11:43 AM

Tried this, but still very much a no-go.

Using Timbuktu, I can log in/off "locally" so I tried all sorts of different configurations including enabling root user and/or turning on (which it already was) remote login.

The only thing I can think of is that I did run SSH Helper from Gideonworks; perhaps that screwed something up in the settings?

Cheers.

Originally posted by doggkruse:
<STRONG>Just a guess but you probably have to change the allow remote user log on preference under the root account.
Geoff</STRONG>

legacyb4  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2002, 03:55 AM

OK, this is getting a bit frustrating.

I tried the same on a G3/266 with a fresh install of OS X and still have the same problem of not being able to log in remotely through SSH unless a local user is logged in.

Is there something with sshd that requires this?

Cheers.

Originally posted by legacyb4:
<STRONG>Tried this, but still very much a no-go.

Using Timbuktu, I can log in/off "locally" so I tried all sorts of different configurations including enabling root user and/or turning on (which it already was) remote login.

The only thing I can think of is that I did run SSH Helper from Gideonworks; perhaps that screwed something up in the settings?

Cheers.

</STRONG>

Forum Links
Forum Rules