Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Routers, switches and hubs oh my!!

Routers, switches and hubs oh my!!
placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2001, 02:51 PM

Help, I need education. The computer store guy was clueless. He just looked at the box and read what was on it. I have an @Home cable modem connection. My roommate has a PC. I don't want to network them to see her files, I just want to share a connection without getting a new IP address. You see, about a year ago, I had DSL and was able to share the connection somehow with a "Magnum H50 Personal Hub" It's the size of an iPod. I got it from my roommate's brother. I has an input port and 4 output ones. Plus a switch on the side that was ummarked (the hub is old.) Anyway, that was in OS 9. We weren't together for a while and now we're back living together. In the meantime, I'm using OS X.1.1 and earlier incarnations. I can't even get a connection straight from the hub to my Mac. But it works on her PC running 98SE. Will a router help. I don't want to spend for an extra IP address from @Home. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2001, 03:41 PM

well I don't know about 98SE but with win2k you can install two network cards (you should already have one) so it will be installing another card, go to the network properties of the main network card, check TCP/IP and there is a tab called share (again under win2k) and under that tab is a box called "enable internet connection sharing for this connection" check that, and go to the second network card you installed and give it an ip of 192.168.0.1 make sure to use the same dns servers and such. Once that is done you can go to any other computer, assign it an ip of 192.168.0.x (x being higher than 1) and make sure to give them a gateway of 192.168.0.1 same dns ifno as before. If you don't want to share the files on the pc just make sure that the drives or folders aren't shared out. Sorry if these instructions are a bit simplified but I am not even sure you can do this with 98se, if you can I can always post more specific instructions. Hope that helps.

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2001, 04:08 PM

Thanks. But her PC is a low end P.O.S. with only 2 PCI slots (one ethernet and one graphics card). 98 doesn't have that tap you were talking about either. I guess I'm going to need another IP address and buy a router. I just want to know if it'll work in X.1.1.

MMASRP63
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2001, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Karl Snyder:
Thanks. But her PC is a low end P.O.S. with only 2 PCI slots (one ethernet and one graphics card). 98 doesn't have that tap you were talking about either. I guess I'm going to need another IP address and buy a router. I just want to know if it'll work in X.1.1.
You don't need another IP address. Buy one of the Internet-sharing solutions from Farallon, Asante, NetGear, etc. These are just mini-routers. They connect to your ISP and then serve up DHCP to your multiple computers, allowing all of them to connect over a single public IP address thanks to NAT. Here's an example of such a product.

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2001, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by MMASRP63:
<STRONG>

You don't need another IP address. Buy one of the Internet-sharing solutions from Farallon, Asante, NetGear, etc. These are just mini-routers. They connect to your ISP and then serve up DHCP to your multiple computers, allowing all of them to connect over a single public IP address thanks to NAT. Here's an example of such a product.</STRONG>
From what i read, he already has such a device, only real old. It just stopped working for him in OS X.

Sorry, i don't know how to help you with this. Only thing i can say is be sure you have every single Network setting exactly as under OS 9, and it should work if you ask me.

DJ

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2001, 10:31 PM

Thanks all. I went out today and bought a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router. It was on sale at Best Buy for $80. Of course, that model is a one port, so I need my hub to hook up her PC. I hooked everything up right (I think) and was able to configure the router using the web based installation. I then went to configure her PC. I rebooted everything, but can't for the life of me, get on the Internet. I did everything I could. I didn't call their help line because all of the instructions are for Windows and you'll know what the customer service reps will say. I still have this feeling that it's OS X. Last night before I bought the router I rebooted into 9 and the old switch/hub/whatever and it worked. It looks like something to do with X. I don't know and am very frustrated. I have unhooked everything and just have a direct connection to the computer. We just unhook the ethernet cable and plug it in our own computers when needed. Anyone out there able to do this in X.1.1?

MMASRP63
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2001, 12:08 AM

<STRONG>Thanks all. I went out today and bought a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router. It was on sale at Best Buy for $80. Of course, that model is a one port, so I need my hub to hook up her PC. I hooked everything up right (I think) and was able to configure the router using the web based installation. I then went to configure her PC. I rebooted everything, but can't for the life of me, get on the Internet. I did everything I could. I didn't call their help line because all of the instructions are for Windows and you'll know what the customer service reps will say. I still have this feeling that it's OS X. Last night before I bought the router I rebooted into 9 and the old switch/hub/whatever and it worked. It looks like something to do with X. I don't know and am very frustrated. I have unhooked everything and just have a direct connection to the computer. We just unhook the ethernet cable and plug it in our own computers when needed. Anyone out there able to do this in X.1.1? </STRONG>
Make sure both your PC and your Mac are configured to use a DHCP server.

I can think of one other possible problem: your ISP might be expecting a specific MAC address to be connected to the cable modem. If this is the case, you need to configure your router to spoof the MAC address of the computer that was initially set up with the cable modem by the installation guys. HTH.

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2001, 02:39 AM

HTH,
I have @Home and I know it asks for a certain make name. In my case: "cxxxxx-a". I'm sure that is part of the problem. I have no idea how to spook, however. I guess I will have to convince her to pay for the extra IP address or some more hardware.

pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2001, 01:53 PM

<STRONG>HTH,
I have @Home and I know it asks for a certain make name. In my case: "cxxxxx-a". I'm sure that is part of the problem. I have no idea how to spook, however. I guess I will have to convince her to pay for the extra IP address or some more hardware. </STRONG>
Karl, in the network settings under 10.1 do you have anything in the "search domains" box? I found that when I had nothing in there I would not get a connection but after I put in my @home info which for me is xxxxx.wa.home.com it worked. Also make sure you have the Domain Name Servers in there as well. Just a thought...

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: pobodysnerfect ]

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2001, 02:00 PM

pobody,
Yes, I have something in my domain, but I will double check. I'm on a NT box at work right now. Thanks.
BTW--I noticed olmpi1.xx.xxxx.xxx. I grew up in Olympia and had the same domain (or whatever). I moved to Fed Way, Auburn area 1 1/2 years ago. Email if you want.

Karl

Forum Links
Forum Rules