Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The beginning of the end for 'normal' audio cds?

The beginning of the end for 'normal' audio cds?
finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2004, 01:35 PM

Copy protected cds are coming out thick and fast....and with this news
, soon we will not be able to do what we want with our music
Is this all the future holds? What do you guys think?....

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2004, 01:36 PM

I think it'll be cracked 3 days later

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 01:37 PM

If it's copy-protectd, it's not a CD. Boycott.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Aug 23, 2004, 03:21 PM

If they do this, I will personally record the audio via wiretap, seperate the tracks, and use all 272 gigs at my disposal to spread these damn "cd"s.

yeah that'll learn em!
are you lightfooted?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2004, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by LegendaryPinkOx:
If they do this, I will personally record the audio via wiretap, seperate the tracks, and use all 272 gigs at my disposal to spread these damn "cd"s.

yeah that'll learn em!
Seriously. It'll be the 70s/80s all over again with tapes. Copy protecting CDs will just force people to record them over the wire (or optical for better quality.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
If it's copy-protectd, it's not a CD. Boycott.
exactly..just don't buy anymore Cds and demand they do what you want if they want your service.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Seriously. It'll be the 70s/80s all over again
I sure did hate those copy protected tapes in the 80s...

-t

sideus
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 04:16 PM

Haven't bought a CD in years. It is a nice feeling.

finknottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2004, 07:38 PM

I guess it will force people to record them "over the wire".... I have bought a lot of cds (1000+) but I have to say I do download a lot of music to see if I like it first! Its a shame I won't be able to do this anymore Do you really think that enough people will return these discs ....so that the record companies will be forced to think twice? I can't see it happening. Many people (present company excepted ) wouldn't know the difference!

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 07:49 PM

I'm not against copy-protecting CDs if the company lets you access a digital version of the tracks as well. Like you buy a CD so you get the art and all that, and can d/l the songs from iTMS for free. It'll never happen though...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2004, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:

-t
They called it "vinyl", and it's still around.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 09:13 PM

I hate copy protected discs. Most stores around here will refuse to return opened CD's. I did get an exepection when Futureshop refused to let me listen to a CD (Organ and Bells Christmas music), I liked the music, but man it sounded worse then a scratched record.

I will only buy CD's and not CPD's I only play my music through a computer and need the full AIFF's or ALC's. 128kbps AAC IS NOT CD QUALITY BY A LONG SHOT!

Looks like I got a lot of CD buying to do over the next year to build my collection of CD's. since iTMS opened I have bought [MORE CD's since is so easy to figure out what music I want to buy.

I will avoid CPD's like the plague and only buy CD's. Now what to do about storing DVD Audio on a hard drive.
( Last edited by Mac Write; Aug 23, 2004 at 09:25 PM. )
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

kikkoman
Senior User
Aug 23, 2004, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:

-t
Nothing a peice of tape couldn't fix

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Mac Write:
[B]I hate copy protected discs. Most stores around here will refuse to return opened CD's. I did get an exepection when Futureshop refused to let me listen to a CD (Organ and Bells Christmas music), I liked the music, but man it sounded worse then a scratched record.

I will only buy CD's and not CPD's I only play my music through a computer and need the full AIFF's or ALC's. 128kbps IS NOT CD QUALITY BY A LONG SHOT!

Looks like I got a lot of CD buying to do over the next year to build my collection of CD's. since iTMS opened I have bought [MORE/B] CD's since is so easy to figure out what music I want to buy.

I will avoid CPD's like the plague and only buy CD's. Now what to do about storing DVD Audio on a hard drive.
Same with me. Since using ITMS, my music purchases have gone up about 300%. Damn you ITMS

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by greenamp:
Same with me. Since using ITMS, my music purchases have gone up about 300%. Damn you ITMS
I never will buy from iTMS, I just use them to sample, then go to the store and buy the CD for a much much lower price. Usually $10-$13 Canadian at most allot are even below $10 Canadian. So much for iTMS being allot cheaper then CD's Ya right.
--Stephen King

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 09:33 PM

I never will buy from iTMS, I just use them to sample, then go to the store and buy the CD for a much much lower price. Usually $10-$13 Canadian at most allot are even below $10 Canadian. So much for iTMS being allot cheaper then CD's Ya right.
You're mighty lucky then...

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 09:45 PM

Uh, you're in Canada. You can't use it anyway. And if the iTMS ever did come to Canada, the prices would be comparable to or cheaper than what you pay in the store.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 09:52 PM

I never will buy from iTMS, I just use them to sample, then go to the store and buy the CD for a much much lower price.
Much lower price than what? The $0 you can't spend on the iTMS in Canada?

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Much lower price than what? The $0 you can't spend on the iTMS in Canada?
I will never ever buy from the iTMS. Why? Quality is garbage 128kbps is not CD quality. So even when it does come to Canada, I will never use it period. I will still to good old real CD's, and refuse to buy CPD's and refuse to buy downloadable garbage quality off the Internet.
--Stephen King

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 11:03 PM

I will never ever buy from the iTMS. Why? Quality is garbage 128kbps is not CD quality. So even when it does come to Canada, I will never use it period. I will still to good old real CD's, and refuse to buy CPD's and refuse to buy downloadable garbage quality off the Internet.
That's some pretty harsh words - how about if the downloads were Apple Lossless? ...or do you often play music on more than 5 computers?

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 11:06 PM

Not interested in buying copy protected CDs. If this is what the RIAA wants, fine. They can keep them for all I care.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 11:16 PM

That's some pretty harsh words - how about if the downloads were Apple Lossless? ...or do you often play music on more than 5 computers?
I can buy the CD in the store and use it on 100 computer so why pay the same for a download and have RESTRICTED ACCESS TO MY MUSIC? No thanks.
--Stephen King

george68
Banned
Aug 23, 2004, 11:48 PM

If they think any of their pathetic attempts at creating a closed system where you're unable to copy a CD is going to work, they're ****ing stupid. If the music is in 1s an 0s, it's going to be cracked wide open. What they need to do is wake the f*ck and realize people don't feel like spending $15 on a CD of some no-talent ass clown band that's popular only because of MTV's TRL, espeically considering you can purchase something that required SOOOOOO much more work and thought and talent for a lot cheaper... A MOVIE FOR $10 ON DVD.

CDs should be 5 bucks. Otherwise people don't buy them.

- Rob

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2004, 06:45 AM

That's some pretty harsh words - how about if the downloads were Apple Lossless?
That would be the only thing that would sway me, for one.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2004, 07:15 AM

If it doesn't play in a regular CD player, I won't buy. The question is: are there enough regular CD players out there for people to complain or is everyone ripping their music to an MP3 device?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Ham Sandwich
Aug 24, 2004, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by george68:

If they think any of their pathetic attempts at creating a closed system where you're unable to copy a CD is going to work, they're ****ing stupid. If the music is in 1s an 0s, it's going to be cracked wide open. What they need to do is wake the f*ck and realize people don't feel like spending $15 on a CD of some no-talent ass clown band that's popular only because of MTV's TRL, espeically considering you can purchase something that required SOOOOOO much more work and thought and talent for a lot cheaper... A MOVIE FOR $10 ON DVD.

CDs should be 5 bucks. Otherwise people don't buy them.

- Rob
If people didn't feel like spending $15 on a no-talent ass clown band, they wouldn't. If enough people didn't feel like spending $15 on said bands, the market would adjust to what they would pay. The record companies and retailers don't set the prices so no one would buy the discs, do they?

The real problem, as I see it, is the people who happily shell out so much money for this "artistic" swill. These are the people that need to be stopped thereby causing these type of bands they support through CDs and concerts to go away. Record companies package this crap because the mass population are stupid sheep and have absolutely no taste.

Personally, I don't buy anything but independent music and definitely won't pay what I don't think is a fair price for musical works. The RIAA and Clearchannel can go f themselves with a broken bottle laced with AIDS.

There. I feel better now.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2004, 08:07 AM

Oddly enough, the "artistic swill" is the only stuff that's selling.

All those good people not spending any money on albums out of protest are, ironically, fuelling the spiral of crap.

What I cannot for the life of me understand is why kids who won't spend a dime on recorded, produced, and mastered albums will cheerfully pay over two dollars for a ****ing RINGTONE for their phone. I'm talking about a MIDI FILE. Zero production costs, close to nil distribution cost, close to nil musical/enjoyment value.

Ringtones are a billion-dollar business over here in Europe, and NOBODY in the music business understands why...

-s*

dav
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 08:16 AM

i tend to think it's inevitable that i'll eventually have to go back to capturing an analog source. on the positive side, i believe i can get a great quality rip with the software/hardware i have now. the biggest downside i see is the real-time ripping. no more ripping a hour long cd in minutes.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2004, 09:32 AM

I said it five years ago... and I'll say it again.

Until the day when they can encrypt my music (in a crack proof format) from the disk, through the laser, through my CD player, receiver, speaker wire and speakers.

I'll be able to circumvent their schemes.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2004, 12:01 PM

For once, you hope the copy protection isn't Mac compatible.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I said it five years ago... and I'll say it again.

Until the day when they can encrypt my music (in a crack proof format) from the disk, through the laser, through my CD player, receiver, speaker wire and speakers.

I'll be able to circumvent their schemes.
Yep.

You can't encrypt analog.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

finknottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2004, 06:26 PM

Yeh Eriamjh, lets hope this copy protection from Macrovision is more concerned with letting people use their ipods than stopping ripping from macs...

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 11:34 PM

Since you know the 24-48 kbps that you sample the song at is SO good at indicating at the quality of the full song...

Do you go out and buy your albums on vinyl?

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 11:38 PM

im scared...

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
Since you know the 24-48 kbps that you sample the song at is SO good at indicating at the quality of the full song...

Do you go out and buy your albums on vinyl?
Uh I said I buy on CD, and 128kb AAC is garbage, why pay more for less quality and crippled music? When higher quality for iTMS comes out and then you have to buy all over again, Or you can buy the CD with NO RESTRICTIONS and re-rip it as the compression technologies change and have no restricted access to your music? Oh you say why not burn the AAC to CD and then re-rip it? Uh the quality will still be crappy compared to 44khz CD (which is still not perfect, but it's the only option since changing records is crap I want to play 20+ CD's). Can't wait for 192khz music too bad it will be so crippled and you will only be allowed X plays of the music before you have to buy it again (if the RIAA even allows the public access since the quality is too high for their liking).
--Stephen King

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 05:54 AM

Hmm. Funny because it sounds pretty damned good to me. The difference is certainly less than the amount of background noise I normally have to put up with - in the car for instance.

I'd love to see the results of a blind listening test (or should that be 'deaf' ? ).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2004, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Hmm. Funny because it sounds pretty damned good to me. The difference is certainly less than the amount of background noise I normally have to put up with - in the car for instance.

I'd love to see the results of a blind listening test (or should that be 'deaf' ? ).
It's not like that hasn't been done a dozen times over.

And yeah, for high-background-noise situations, I really don't mind.

Car audio is crap anyway, no matter how you slice it, so mp3/AAC is perfectly fine there.

At home is a different matter. I don't spend money on something that just doesn't make the grade.

And yes, I *do* buy my music on vinyl. And very, very rarely, on CD.

-s*

finknottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 07:09 AM

There is a HUGE difference between 128kbps and 256 Kbps on a home cinema/surround sound system... and I'm no audiophile
the itms needs to offer a higher bit rate...its fine for ipods but anything else??

Beewee
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 10:16 AM

Let's see, Movie DVDs have Macrovision, and some "encryption" (if that's what you call it ). Yet they still have problems with piracy. Some of the programs used to rip DVDs are pretty slick too. I, personally, wouldn't worry about it, especially if it's Macrovision that is working on it. Someone is going to crack it in a month or better.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
They called it "vinyl", and it's still around.
Muss ich dir wirklich erklaeren was bedeutet ?

-t

edit: freakin' spelling...
( Last edited by turtle777; Aug 25, 2004 at 11:20 AM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2004, 11:07 AM

My main issue is, we are paying about the same for lower quality... rights managed content.

What's the point other then instant access to music.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2004, 11:09 AM

Also, I don't see the difference between me buying a CD and me buying a downloadable MP3.

Why do we need DRM? (I guess I'm just being silly)

I guess it makes sense if it's like Napster where you can share unlimited songs for a monthly fee... but when you own it, shouldn't you really "OWN IT"

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2004, 01:11 PM

Uh I said I buy on CD, and 128kb AAC is garbage, why pay more for less quality and crippled music?
You're forgetting what I said again: You don't pay more. It's cheaper to buy a new album on iTMS than new in a retail store in the countries that have an iTMS. Quit bitching about the prices when there isn't a store for Canada and therefore no store is competitive with Canadian retail prices yet.

And what about when you just want that one song and not the whole album? That's mostly what I use it for. Don't try to tell me that buying the whole album is cheaper then.

finknottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 02:52 PM

There's a review of the new Macrovision copy protection here
You can still rip the music as you want at the bit rate you want on macs but I guess this will be "fixed".

Forum Links
Forum Rules