Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Running a CRT Display with the 12" PB or a G4 iBook

Running a CRT Display with the 12" PB or a G4 iBook
fudo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 07:53 PM

I wanted to get the 15" PB, but I'm now leaning toward the 12" PB. I was just wondering how good the 12" Powerbook is at running a CRT display.

Can I operate with the lid fully closed?

I have the 2nd Revision iBook2 and that is one of the things that it can't. I believe the G4 iBook can have the OF hack applied, but you can't close the lid whilst driving the CRT. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Whilst here I might as well ask if people are going for the iBook G4 over the 12" PB?

fudo

hmmm, another point it would seem you still don't get Panther with new PB from Apple Store, is this right? or is there some upgrade offer I'm not aware of.
( Last edited by fudo; Oct 30, 2003 at 09:01 PM. )

bobette
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by fudo:
I wanted to get the 15" PB, but I'm now leaning toward the 12" PB. I was just wondering how good it is at running a CRT display.

Can I operate with the lid fully closed?

I have the 2nd Revision iBook2 and that is one of the things that it can't. I believe the G4 iBook can have the OF hack applied, but you can't close the lid whilst driving the CRT. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Whilst here I might as well ask if people are going for the iBook G4 over the 12" PB?

fudo

hmmm, another point it would seem you still don't get Panther with new PB from Apple Store, is this right? or is there some upgrade offer I'm not aware of.
I have a 15Al got it yesterday) and been running my LaCie electron blue 19" from it. Very nice (the Lacie is gorgeous anyway, so...), although not at higher res (starting at 1600 X 1200 typeface gets fuzzy round the edge etc.) The DVI/VGA connector's to blame but asides from that it's great. You'll never get the quality you got out of a native VGA out plug (such as on some Tibooks) but it's acceptable. Yo feel they're really pushing the dvi (make us want to leave our dinosaurs behind), but for precise color handling even the most expensive displays aren't quite as precise as a high-end trinitron crt and such (IMHO).

I dunno about running it with the lid closed though, but according to the manual it seems you can.

You get Panther only if your order was placed after the big event, otherwise you'll pay 20$ us for the uptodate program. I filled in the online form last night, Panther shipped today.

Hope this helped. Cheers!
this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

1zero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 08:19 PM

I've been using my new 15" with a CRT monitor and running the laptop with the lid closed without a problem.

fudo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 09:00 PM

Sorry, my fault for phrasing the Question in a funny way. I have gone back and edited the original post.

I'm aware that the 15" PB does this perfectly, how well does the 12" perform given that it has half the graphic memory?

fudo
( Last edited by fudo; Oct 30, 2003 at 09:30 PM. )

Amorya
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by fudo:
Sorry, my fault for phrasing the Question in a funny way. I have gone back and edited the original post.

I'm aware that the 15" PB does this perfectly, how well does the 12" perform given that it has half the graphic memory?

fudo
It should handle it fine. You can certainly use it in lid closed mode (if you have an external keyboard), and while I haven't tried it with a VGA display I can't see there being any problem. A VGA adapter is included in the box.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 10:16 PM

I run a 14" LCD with my 12"PBG4 and keep the PB open--I use monitor spanning and never hit a snag with anything, even expos�. 640 MB RAM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules