Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > commenting on spelling

View Poll Results: Posts that correct/involve spelling are
Poll Options:
often funny and clever 11 votes (19.30%)
intended to uplift the bad spellers of the world in a purly altruistic effort 20 votes (35.09%)
totally anoying and in bad taste 8 votes (14.04%)
made by fully insecure, ego-driven asses in an impotent hope to validate ones misery under the guise of pedantry 12 votes (21.05%)
Michael's Guilty 6 votes (10.53%)
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll
commenting on spelling
tracheopterix
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 06:09 PM

I am not a good speller[/tragedy]
I often notice people making *witty* jabs about poor spelling in these forums. I don't like it. It's far too wide spread, and not a legit source of comedy IMHO. It's old and tired. I could go on about this.

einmakom
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 06:28 PM

But you also know how to prevent yourself from being the target of it- make a little effort to either learn to spell correctly or check your writing for mistakes.

People take your writing more seriously when you present your ideas well. Spelling is one component of presenting your ideas and thoughts well.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2003, 06:28 PM

like most things, it occasionally has its uses

dtriska
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 06:30 PM

I don't understand why people have trouble spelling very basic words. If English isn't your native language, you're pardoned. Otherwise, get a dictionary. They're free on the Internet.

My English teachers made this very clear. Either they pay attention to your ideas in a paper, or they pay attention to your spelling. The former got you marks, while the latter lost you marks.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Nov 20, 2003, 06:34 PM

Sometimes it can be reallt annoying. I like if people are correcting you in a polite way, not making fun of the writer.
My native language is not english, and I probaly make a lot of mistakes, but if we all just could start speak Danish, I could be the one correcting everyone.
But hey, I'm trying, and I think I'm improving all the time....

petehammer
Senior User
Nov 20, 2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by Jens Peter:
Sometimes it can be reallt annoying. I like if people are correcting you in a polite way, not making fun of the writer.
My native language is not english, and I probaly make a lot of mistakes, but if we all just could start speak Danish, I could be the one correcting everyone.
But hey, I'm trying, and I think I'm improving all the time....
Also, there is a difference between being nice and being a jerk. You mispelled "really", which is obviously a typo. No one bats an eye UNLESS they want to use it against you and say "At least I can spell really, you moron."

People make typos. It happens. Some people are consistently bad spellers and should work on it. There is a big difference between the two.
If after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say ["You're right, we were wrong -- good job"] -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush."
-moki, 04/16/03 (Props to Spheric Harlot)

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by petehammer:
Also, there is a difference between being nice and being a jerk. You mispelled "really", which is obviously a typo. No one bats an eye UNLESS they want to use it against you and say "At least I can spell really, you moron."

People make typos. It happens. Some people are consistently bad spellers and should work on it. There is a big difference between the two.
Exactly. There are the people who don't try and there are the people who miss a letter every now and then.

tracheopterix  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 06:54 PM

Next time I submit a scholarly work, believe me it will be spelled correctly. Next time I post in The Macnn Lounge "Dolphin-safe. Not tested on animals." I won't waste my time with spelling. I agree people take your ideas more seriously when your spelling is good, I think this is a mistake. Mistaken correlation: bad spelling=bad idea. Surly there is a vague urge for me to better myself in the spelling arena and occasionally I make an effort to do so, but there is no cause for people to be snotty about spelling in this lounge. That's my point.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 06:56 PM

wut abt tha annoying kunts dat like 2 spell like dis?
kyoot spellings.

Like dtriska said, why is it so hard to spell correctly, or at least look up the spelling if you're unsure. If you can't spell well, or your grammar sucks, it's just going against your credibility. No one's perfect, but spellings are too basic to be pardonable, especially when written or typed.

Oh, let's not forget syntax. That's at the bottom of the list though.
( Last edited by Macfreak7; Nov 20, 2003 at 07:03 PM. )

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 07:03 PM

i think we can group this people the the people that save that one letter to look cool... like "ne"... god forbid you waste the time with the extra letter

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2003, 07:04 PM

Gee ... doesn't everyone use Safari and "Check spelling as you type" now ??

MdntCommercial
Banned
Nov 20, 2003, 07:05 PM

I know Trecheopteryx(sp?) and trust me, one of the original minds of our time!

tracheopterix  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
WHOA, musta missed that function. that's awesum, tanks dood! for seriousness, its g�d!

(honestly didn't know that was there)

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by tracheopterix:
Next time I submit a scholarly work, believe me it will be spelled correctly. Next time I post in The Macnn Lounge "Dolphin-safe. Not tested on animals." I won't waste my time with spelling.
This is an odd idea -- with spell checks, just how much time is being wasted? Or, considering the function of the Lounge, isn't everything posted here a "waste" of time by definition?

I agree people take your ideas more seriously when your spelling is good, I think this is a mistake. Mistaken correlation: bad spelling=bad idea.
So you agree people take your ideas more seriously when they're spelled correctly, yet posit this is a mistake by these people?

Flip it around: if you have a good idea, wouldn't you want to give it the best chance to be understood and accepted?

Poor spelling is sometimes evidence of a lack of knowledge --say by someone for whom English is not a native language. Other times it's evidence of a learning disability. But sometimes it's merely evidence of a hazy or lazy idea. That is, sometimes the sloppiness of the spelling and grammar aptly characterizes the sloppiness of the idea being presented.

Seeing that poor spelling can happen for many reasons, why tax your reader in trying to figure if you're either foreign, lazy or disabled? Just put your best foot forward -- it can't really hurt.

Surly there is a vague urge for me to better myself in the spelling arena and occasionally I make an effort to do so, but there is no cause for people to be snotty about spelling in this lounge. That's my point.
There's no cause for people to be snotty in general -- but some folks just...can't...resist (and would end a post like this with "and don't call me Shirley, or surly").

voyageur
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 09:07 PM

Some of the best humor in this pubic forum are the misspellings.

tracheopterix  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by Timo:
<snip>
So you agree people take your ideas more seriously when they're spelled correctly, yet posit this is a mistake by these people?

Flip it around: if you have a good idea, wouldn't you want to give it the best chance to be understood and accepted?

Poor spelling is sometimes evidence of a lack of knowledge --say by someone for whom English is not a native language. Other times it's evidence of a learning disability. But sometimes it's merely evidence of a hazy or lazy idea. That is, sometimes the sloppiness of the spelling and grammar aptly characterizes the sloppiness of the idea being presented.

Seeing that poor spelling can happen for many reasons, why tax your reader in trying to figure if you're either foreign, lazy or disabled? Just put your best foot forward -- it can't really hurt.
<snip>
Not exactly. I said it's a mistake to assume that something incorrectly spelled contains poorly thought-out material. Surely it can be an indicator of the characteristics you've mentioned, but it's been my experience in many cases bad spelling has not a thing to do with intelligence, or quality of thought. So it is a mistake by these people. On the other hand, of course I would try to give my ideas the best chance to be understood and accepted, so when it counts I'll spend the time on grammar, spelling etc..
Here's the thing: I don't waste my brain cells picking over spelling in casual environments. Maybe that's a subjective opinion, but when I read someone's post and they misspell something easy, it does not immediately make me discredit, or begin to discredit their thought; perhaps it will make me chuckle, but I don't prejudge in that way.

So I think it is anal when folks bring up spelling mistakes in these forums. Do you disagree? I mean seriously, we're having a discussion about the way we eat corn on the cob and some schmuck posts: "blah, blah, blah you misspelled blah, blah." If it is creatively said and is funny okay, I can bust balls with the rest of them, but mostly it is just anal and annoying to me. It brings bad vibes for no valid reason.

Are you feeling me?

tracheopterix  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by voyageur:
Some of the best humor in this pubic forum are the misspellings.
well, maybe I'm being to anal myself. i guess it can be funny

tintub
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by petehammer:

You misspelled misspelled

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 10:20 AM

I am not a good speller[/tragedy]

i would like to take this opportunity to say i dislike fake HTML tags as much as misspelled words. they're cheesy.

thank you.

-r.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 21, 2003, 10:29 AM

i notice most of the repeat offenders haven't posted in this thread yet (i have a list of 4 main culprits). how queer.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by einmakom:
But you also know how to prevent yourself from being the target of it- make a little effort to either learn to spell correctly or check your writing for mistakes.

People take your writing more seriously when you present your ideas well. Spelling is one component of presenting your ideas and thoughts well.
What he said.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 10:56 AM

The poll choices presented here contain two spelling errors and a similar number of grammatical errors.

tracheopterix  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by DBursey:
The poll choices presented here contain two spelling errors and a similar number of grammatical errors.

Thanks, you've proved my point exactly.

Cipher13
Nov 21, 2003, 11:20 AM

Proven.

Kilbey
Baninated
Nov 21, 2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Proven.
Hilarious!!!

Anyone seen Super[c]hick?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Proven.
not so fast: "The past participle proven, originally the past participle of preve, a Middle English variant of provethat survived in Scotland, has gradually worked its way into standard English over the past three and a half centuries. It seems to have first become established in legal use and to have come only slowly into literary use. Tennyson was one of its earliest frequent users, probably for metrical reasons. It was disapproved by 19th century grammarians, one of whom included it in a list of "words that are not words." Surveys made some 40 or 50 years ago indicated that proved was about four times as frequent as proven. But our evidence from the last 20 or 25 years shows this no longer to be the case. As a past participle proven is now about as frequent as proved in all contexts. As an attributive adjective <proved or proven gas reserves>proven is much more common than proved." (from http://www/m-w.com/)

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 21, 2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
Anyone seen Super[c]hick?
he's in that Top 4 i mentioned in my post.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
I'm still using Mac OS 9.2.2. I try my best to spell correctly. Some of mine is due to my typing skills.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

DBursey
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 12:34 PM

LOL!!

Great fun, guys.

In english there are four main anterior participles which distinguish the attributive from the predicative (verb-like) form. In our case, proven is the correct attributive form, while proved is the corresponding predicative form. Either can be used within the correct context, although the attributive form is the norm in contemporary spoken english.

tracheopterix  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 12:41 PM

HA! I feel the power surging through my veins!
Thank the lord for grammar!!

Have you ever watched the spelling bees on ESPN? Really great viewing, those kids can spell! What sportsmanship!!

DBursey
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 12:49 PM

With apologies to Dog Eat Dog, I'd like to see a spelling bee whereby each contestant runs on a stationary treadmill suspended high above a pool of ice-water. Each time a word is misspelled, the offending participant's treadmill speeds up! The last one standing will have demonstrated their superiority in both vocabulary and cardiovascularity.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 12:49 PM

there's no one i hate more on this board than mixin visuals
he types all in lower case and his sentences run on and on with no regard to anyone who actually tries to read what he's writing

Man, that was painful!

As far as I'm concerned, if you can't make the effort to make your ideas presentable, they're not worth looking at. It takes very little effort to properly capitalize your sentences, and only helps make them more readable.

Typos? Happens all the time. But if you can't be arsed to figure out what you should have learned in elementary school (they're, their, there; to, two, too; etc.), then you should simply be ignored.

I find a lot of the crappy spelling and writing comes from people who think they're in a race to post quickly.

In the end it's about communicating clearly: if you can't be bothered, then why should I?

dav
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 12:52 PM

well, maybe I'm being to anal myself. i guess it can be funny
too anal
one post closer to five stars

tracheopterix  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by dav:
too anal
correct, too anal.

dav
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 12:58 PM

correct, too anal.
one post closer to five stars

tracheopterix  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
he types all in lower case and his sentences run on and on with no regard to anyone who actually tries to read what he's writing

Man, that was painful!

As far as I'm concerned, if you can't make the effort to make your ideas presentable, they're not worth looking at. It takes very little effort to properly capitalize your sentences, and only helps make them more readable.

Typos? Happens all the time. But if you can't be arsed to figure out what you should have learned in elementary school (they're, their, there; to, two, too; etc.), then you should simply be ignored.

I find a lot of the crappy spelling and writing comes from people who think they're in a race to post quickly.

In the end it's about communicating clearly: if you can't be bothered, then why should I?
anal, dumb (don't take it personally, I just disagree). again proving my point: ignore people because they can't spell well. Spelling is a talent that when missing does not imply the lack of all talent, it's kinda prejudicial to think that way, and shortsighted.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 01:03 PM

spelling is not a talent, it's a skill. you can't teach people a talent.

-r.

tracheopterix  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
spelling is not a talent, it's a skill. you can't teach people a talent.

-r.
I think I disagree, some people have a talent for spelling, some don't. You can always improve on a talent or on a talent you lack. Then it becomes a skill. Or a skilled talent

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 21, 2003, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
you forgot to mention that
complete retard, catsank/benign who
thinks he's being all clever or
something, by typing like this

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 21, 2003, 01:21 PM

I think I disagree, some people have a talent for spelling, some don't. You can always improve on a talent or on a talent you lack. Then it becomes a skill. Or a skilled talent
you think you disagree? well, in that case, you should have waited until you had reached a decision, before questioning r's point (which is correct), rather than diving in like that.

tracheopterix  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
you think you disagree? well, in that case, you should have waited until you had reached a decision, before questioning r's point (which is correct), rather than diving in like that.

LOL

Kilbey
Baninated
Nov 23, 2003, 05:00 PM

Why are you so defensive of the lazy? It's laziness that causes someone to not learn how to spell correctly.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2003, 05:47 PM

Why are you so defensive of the lazy? It's laziness that causes someone to not learn how to spell correctly.
whaet?
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Kilbey
Baninated
Nov 23, 2003, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by dillerX:
whaet?
Soooo phunny.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2003, 05:58 PM

Soooo phunny.

umm, u spelt that wrong.

Kilbey
Baninated
Nov 23, 2003, 06:00 PM

umm, u spelt that wrong.
LOL... HA ha so did u!!!

Man, is this lame or what?

dillerX
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2003, 06:02 PM

LOL... HA ha so did u!!!

Man, is this lame or what?
whaet?

Kilbey
Baninated
Nov 23, 2003, 06:43 PM

whaet?
+1

dillerX
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2003, 06:46 PM

+1

Does that mean you give up?

Kilbey
Baninated
Nov 23, 2003, 06:53 PM

Does that mean you give up?
+1

Yup, you win.

Forum Links
Forum Rules