Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Remember Ward Churchill?

Remember Ward Churchill?
bubblewrap
Senior User
Feb 25, 2005, 06:17 PM

He tried to pass off artwork as his own.

Idiot.

Never underestimate the entertaiment value of an idiot in public.

More on the idiot.

How progressive.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2005, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by bubblewrap:
He tried to pass off artwork as his own.

Idiot.

Never underestimate the entertaiment value of an idiot in public.

More on the idiot.

How progressive.
Sick bastard.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

bubblewrap  (op)
Senior User
Feb 25, 2005, 06:35 PM

What really annoys me about this man is he's the Chairman of the Ethics Committe of CU.

And a counterfeit native American. Busted. Again.
Ethics.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2005, 06:36 PM

The High altitude there must have damaged his brain.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2005, 08:07 PM

I wonder how many more posts before someone says that he's just misunderstood and defend his ludicrous statements?

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2005, 09:05 PM

It's just a coincidence that they look alike.

jbartone
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2005, 09:27 PM

The man is a terrorist:

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/001588.htm

WARD CHURCHILL: CAUGHT ON TAPE ADVOCATING TERRORISM
By Michelle Malkin � February 24, 2005 09:08 AM

In August 2003, loony professor Ward Churchill spoke in Seattle before a crowd of moonbats and advised them on how to conduct acts of terrorism. Churchill's voice is unmistakable on these tapes, obtained and released by Denver radio station hosts Dan Caplis and Craig Silverman.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2005, 11:04 PM

Hey, Ward buddy finally made it into the War Lounge.
A local Talk Radio station has been hammering on this idiot for weeks now. (630 KHOW). You can find out most of the crap this idiot spews here.
He needs to be removed from teaching.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2005, 11:36 PM

Unfortunately, this moron isn�t even all that untypical these days. His particular brand of kookiness just happened to catch the national spotlight enough for people to take notice. But it�s not like he hasn't been spouting the same drivel for some time now. It's not like kooks just like him aren�t spouting the same crap all the time. It's not like when he speaks, he can't find enough other kooks to hang on his every word, and cheer for (presumably) their own demise.

And yes, he should be fired- not for his crazy opinions, but for the fraud he's committed to get the position he�s abused. The fact that such and unethical person is on any �ethics� committee anywhere (let alone the chairman) is just an absurd irony.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 08:50 AM

I think he is a strawman the neocons are using to attack liberals.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by macintologist:
Doood, the guy is a whack-job by any appreciable measure. He enjoys being inflammatory just for the sake of being inflammatory. He should be attacked by any person who values logical, critical thought. And the head of an academic ethics committee at ANY university found to have plagiarized someone else's work needs to lose that position and quite possibly their job.

That said, you are correct that those of a conservative nature are attacking him with a particular bent to discredit liberals as a whole. However, that just goes to show their short-sightedness. Conservatives attacking him for his liberalness fail to see the bigger picture of this man's flaws and by doing so only reveal their contempt for logical thought.

He should be attacked for what he says and does not because of his politics.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2005, 09:57 AM

Another American nutter making bizarre holocaust comparissons. Reminds me of the PETA adverts last year comparing fried chicken to jewish victims of the holocaust. And of course, only in America would "liberals" rally around such claims.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by macintologist:
Most of the criticism aimed at Wardy comes from the right to be sure. Outside of republican shills (like O'Reilly), most critics don't try to lump Wardy with mainstream liberals so as to further an anti-liberal agenda. For the most part, it is an anti-Ward Churchill agenda.
Also note that the left has been conspicously quiet in defending him. Outside of a few radical wacks and a handful of Ward Churchill pudding eaters, not many people have stepped forward to defend him.
I still say that the guy is a wack and a fraud.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 02:44 PM

He is an embarrassment to anything he is associated with.

He is just striking out for his 15 minutes of fame which he got, leaving the school he is at with a cloud of shame in the process.

There is strong reason for him to be dismissed for his own lies about his background.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 02:50 PM

We must remember, of course, that there are no conservatives like him.

Only liberals are "whackos," and "nut jobs."
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 02:57 PM

Sounds like a real winner.

I don't know anything about him other than the linked articles in this thread.

If he deserves to be fired (and that isn't for me to judge) I certainly hope people would agree that its not because of his unpopular and arguably irrational political views.

If it it turns out he really is a plagarist (which it certainly looks like he is) that is one thing. If he has broken rules of the university, that is one thing. But simply expressing unpopular or controversial political views should NOT be grounds for dismissal, IMO.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
We must remember, of course, that there are no conservatives like him.

Only liberals are "whackos," and "nut jobs."
Of course not. Wackos and nut job occupy the entire political spectrum. But the fact that right wing wackos and nut jobs exist in no way lessens the idiocy of the left wing wackos and nut jobs. There is enough lunacy to go around.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 04:49 PM

I saw David Duke on TV the other day, and he said he goes around the country giving speeches, including colleges, and has never had the kind of national furor that this Ward Churchill has had. David Duke.

Will liberals ever get the kind of outrage machine that conservatives have? Hmm, you know what, I'd prefer to leave it to them.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 06:42 PM

CU weighs buyout for firebrand prof
By Dave Curtin and Arthur Kane
Denver Post Staff Writers

Saturday, February 26, 2005 -
University of Colorado officials are considering offering Ward Churchill an early retirement package that could end an increasingly uncomfortable standoff with the controversial professor.
Two people familiar with internal CU discussions said the still-undetermined offer is in the idea stage. The discussions come just a week before a three-person panel is scheduled to deliver a report on Churchill's fitness for tenure. David Lane, Churchill's attorney, said he has not been contacted about a buyout offer. But, he said, while his primary focus is on protecting Churchill's constitutional right to speak out, he would be willing to listen to a university proposal.

"If they offer $10 million, I would think about it. If they offer him $10, I wouldn't," Lane said.

Attorneys for CU were not available for comment Friday afternoon. Since it was first reported that Churchill, a CU ethnic studies professor, had demonized some of the victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the university has faced relentless scrutiny of its hiring practices and faculty qualifications. Churchill has undergone an extensive media review of his scholarship, artwork and genealogy, while everyone from radio talk-show hosts to syndicated newspaper columnists have questioned his integrity, his ancestry and his military career.

CU regents have said they are bound by due process and authorized a review of Churchill's writings and speech by a panel comprising the interim Boulder chancellor, the arts and sciences dean, and the law school dean. Depending on the panel's findings, due the week of March 7, CU president Betsy Hoffman could inform Churchill of the university's desire to terminate his employment. Churchill would then have the right to appeal through a faculty committee. Typically such dismissals - even if done by the book - result in years of expensive lawsuits that Hoffman told legislators last week the university would like to avoid.

Sources involved in the talks said if an arrangement could be made, it could get everyone off the hook, including Churchill, the subject of daily press revelations. The latest controversy is whether an artwork by Churchill titled "Winter Attack" was copied from a 1972 piece by Thomas Mails, "The Mystic Warriors of the Plains." Churchill told KCNC-Channel 4 last week that he had permission to use Mails' work in his art. However, Mails has died, and copyright experts say an agreement could be as informal as a telephone conversation.

The original drawing by Thomas Mails, top, and professor Ward Churchill�s disputed piece.
It is clear that Churchill's work is extremely similar to Mails', said Denver attorney James Hubbell, who handles intellectual property cases. "Is Churchill's work different enough to constitute a different work? The answer to that is, 'No, it doesn't,"' Hubbell said. "It's awfully similar, and probably too similar." An Aurora art gallery removed the Churchill print from an Internet auction site after its attorney advised the gallery that it might violate copyright laws by selling it. "It's just too much of a headache for a few hundred dollars' sale," said Darren Zueger, general manager of American Design Ltd.

Another copy of "Winter Attack" remains for sale on the Internet by someone other than American Design. American Design is selling several other Churchill pieces, which were written off the books and placed in storage, since the controversy brought the CU professor's name to a nationwide public. At least two other Churchill works are painted from historic photos of Native Americans, but Zueger said it is common for artists to use photos in their work.

Duke Prentup, who bought a copy of "Winter Attack" for $100 in the mid-1980s from Churchill, said he feels taken advantage of because he thought it was an original work.

"I was a little shocked, a little disappointed," he said.
Prentup was reviewing his Indian library last month when a book by Mails broke apart at the binding and opened to the page with Mails' "Mystic Warriors of the Plains" drawing.
"I've seen this before," Prentup said to himself. "It's on my wall."
Questions also remain about Churchill's r�sum�. In a version provided to American Design by either Churchill or one of his publishers, he says he served with the 101st Airborne Division during the Vietnam War. Military records, however, show he worked as a light-truck driver in South Vietnam.

Regents, who may one day be called upon to vote on Churchill's job, are upset about the daily publicity over the controversial professor, saying it could cause long-term damage to CU's reputation.

"The possible damage to the university this controversy has created will take years to recover from," said Regent Peter Steinhauer.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2005, 06:55 PM

I remember the massive amount of attention
Fox News gave him along with all other 'un-American'
professors who wield such a great influence.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2005, 07:31 PM

Not only does Colorado have crappy food, they have crappy artists.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules