Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Delete Time Machine Backup?

Delete Time Machine Backup?
Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2011, 12:01 PM

So, pertaining to the revelations mentioned in this thread, I'm reorganizing my data life. Here's my setup:

-Drobo 4 Bay for longterm data storage (old film projects and stock libraries)
-Glyph Dual 2TB RAID1 working drive (for current editing projects)
-A couple of portable drives for downloading footage in the field, etc.

I've been using my Drobo as my Time Machine backup, but there's a ton of other stuff on there, and it's currently filled with 3 2TB drives and a 1TB drive. I want to do my time machine backups to a different drive as the Drobo is quite full, and I just want to start with a fresh one. But just trashing the Backups.backupdb folder has yielded a bunch of errors and no solution. I tried changing the permissions of this folder while it was in the trash and that didn't help.

Does anyone have any wisdom on how to do this? I'd be comfortable with a command-line option if someone can talk me through it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2011, 12:23 PM

First advice I'd give is make sure the Drobo is backed up elsewhere. I've seen too many of them suffer multiple simultaneous disk failure and lose everything on them to trust them as far as I can throw them. Which is a pity since I quite liked them until they started doing that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ibook_steve
Sep 8, 2011, 01:14 PM

Stupid question: Before trying to delete the backups, did you turn off TM in the preferences and/or changed the drive used in the preferences?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2011, 01:22 PM

No didn't turn it off, and unfortunately don't have the drive space to move to a new drive until I can clear the old database off the drobo.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2011, 01:41 PM

On an intact Time Machine backup, you can just enter Time Machine, select the hard drive itself, and from the tool menu, choose "Delete all backups of […]".

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2011, 01:43 PM

Yeah i figured that out after trashing it didn't work. Unfortunately this is no longer an intact backup. Hence the problem.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2011, 02:19 PM

I realized it wouldn't be particularly helpful, sorry. Posted for reference.

Have you tried a Terminal su rm -rf and dragging the backup folder in there? That should do it. I remember seeing zero feedback but increasing free space for like an hour when I was in the same situation.

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2011, 02:21 PM

I haven't tried that, but now I will! Yeah this is definitely a tough one for OS feedback. The file sizes are so vast that I can't convince the finder to even bother guessing.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2011, 02:29 PM

That's "sudo rm -rf " and then Drag the folder there.

Note to the Public: that is the command for complete, irretrievable DELETION, combined with the authorization to delete ANYTHING without asking.

DO NOT USE IT unless you know exactly what you're doing and have an extra copy of everything important.

Forum Links
Forum Rules