Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Strange harddrive noises

Strange harddrive noises
Busemann
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2003, 02:42 PM

The harddrive on my MDD 1.25 GHz sometimes, maybe 4-5 times a week, makes a very loud "unmounting"- esque sound. Is anyone familiar with this, or is something wrong with the disk? I thought it may be that it is going into sleep mode but that is turned off in system prefs.

thanks

DJG3
Apr 4, 2003, 04:57 PM

Think I read a post about this a few weeks ago, but no luck finding it. Anyways, I also hear stange noises which I believe are coming from my HD...kind of like a brief string of a few beeps. It occurs at least once a week I believe. I leave my machine on just about 24/7, however I'm only in my room during the evenings and when I'm sleeping so it could be occuring more often. It is a very strange sound and I hope nothing is wrong with my setup. Anybody else experiencing anything similar?
~DJG3

Tomac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2003, 05:12 PM

I posted this in another thread that I started but what the heck:

The Seagate Barracuda V that came with my FW800 Dual 1.25GHz does not sound as if it's in the boundaries of correct acoustics. It has a pronounced "ratta-tat-tat-rattling" noise when it's reading/writing that's quite loud.

Normal or unjust?

derbs
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 12:25 PM

Same happens in my quicksilver dual 800. Every now and then it starts 'thrashing', and making that unmounting/beeping sound.

It has an IBM Deskstar hard disk in it, which i now know are nicknamed 'Deathstars'. I guess i'm going to have to get a new hard disk soon...

Busemann  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by derbs:
Same happens in my quicksilver dual 800. Every now and then it starts 'thrashing', and making that unmounting/beeping sound.

It has an IBM Deskstar hard disk in it, which i now know are nicknamed 'Deathstars'. I guess i'm going to have to get a new hard disk soon...
Yep, IBM hardrive in mine too. They make better processors than harddrives for sure

derbs
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 01:05 PM

let's hope so

Forum Links
Forum Rules