Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Whats wrong with my superdrive

Whats wrong with my superdrive
DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2004, 08:53 PM

Until recently my superdrive has worked perfectly. I've used it a lot to burn cdr and dvd-r, ect. But now its fscked!

The first time I noticed an issue was when the computer woke up from being put to sleep and the computer ejected the disk automatically but the finder shows the disk is still mounted. At that point I could click the button to unmount the disk and reinsert it and it would work fine.

Now everytime I put any kind of media in, it acts like its reading it to mount it and then spits it back out... any ideas?

Thanks guys!

FYI New stock alumbook.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

mattyd
Senior User
Jan 29, 2004, 09:25 PM

it could be dirty.

have you tried one of those cd player cleaners?

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by mattyd:
it could be dirty.

have you tried one of those cd player cleaners?
No haven't tried one.. are those safe in the slot loading drives? I wouldnt think it would be dirty already... haven't had it that long. Just been using it in the last 2 weeks while burning cdrs and dvd-rs
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

mattyd
Senior User
Jan 29, 2004, 09:44 PM

i don't know about the saftey of those in a slot loading drive. anyone?

i had a similar problem with the dvd drive in my Ti400, unfortunately it was truly broken -- which was fine since i replaced it with a combo drive. but, i have heard of people having similar issues because of dirt (and they can get dirty pretty easily).

is your computer only two weeks old? if so its under warranty, so you could have it checked out and it shouldn't cost you anything.

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2004, 09:47 PM

i don't know about the saftey of those in a slot loading drive. anyone?

i had a similar problem with the dvd drive in my Ti400, unfortunately it was truly broken -- which was fine since i replaced it with a combo drive. but, i have heard of people having similar issues because of dirt (and they can get dirty pretty easily).

is your computer only two weeks old? if so its under warranty, so you could have it checked out and it shouldn't cost you anything.
No its a couple months old its just I haven't really used the superdrive until the last 2 weeks. I was backing up a few dozen dvds worth of information

mattyd
Senior User
Jan 29, 2004, 10:04 PM

you should be under warranty for parts for a year.

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2004, 11:54 PM

you should be under warranty for parts for a year.
Oh no doubt I can send it in to be fixed... it just sucks everytime its gone for a week or longer for another repair and you run the risk of it coming back with more problems than it left with.

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2004, 02:22 PM

Has anyone used anything for cleaning the slotloading drives in PBs?

jimf_81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2004, 02:57 AM

Try going through all of your programs and clicking the eject icons in each of the program (especially iTunes!!!).

I had somewhat of a similar problem, except that in my case the superdrive wouldn't allow the cd/dvd to even be inserted (physically prevented it). I called Apple, and went on the forums and couldn't find anything. I was at the point where I figured I had to take it in, but I didn't really want to do that.

The day before I was going to take it in (Sunday evening), I went through each program that had a CD/DVD eject button or icon (ie DVD player, Finder, iTunes, etc). When I got to iTunes (the last one I tried), I heard some noises in my Superdrive, and now it works perfectly again.

Might be slightly different from your problem, but if it works you don't have to send it in.

Best of Luck.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Feb 1, 2004, 03:31 AM

Originally posted by DigitalDNA:
Has anyone used anything for cleaning the slotloading drives in PBs?
Yeah I use those regular cd lens cleaners. They work just fine. Its just a little brush on the disc that passes over the lens and wipes away anything on it.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2004, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:
Yeah I use those regular cd lens cleaners. They work just fine. Its just a little brush on the disc that passes over the lens and wipes away anything on it.
Thanks

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 2, 2004, 01:45 PM

I've seen drives damaged by those discs -- the little brushes can damage the lens assembly, which is very delicate.

Just send it in to Apple. I can't imagine them not having the part in stock, and with the overnight shipping you should have it back within the workweek.

tooki

coolmacdude
Senior User
Feb 2, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
I've seen drives damaged by those discs -- the little brushes can damage the lens assembly, which is very delicate.
Interesting. They have actually corrected problems for me. Several times I used one when I had DVD playback or skipping problems and they were fixed.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules