Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Airport Express II

Airport Express II
Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2004, 04:39 PM

Early reports put Airport Export to be a hit but what about the next version?

Wireless firewire is in the works and I bet Apple will be one of the first to adopt it. I could see the next AE revision including firewire. Just imagine streaming High Def quicktime from your iMac, Powerbook or whatever to an Apple branded display device. We're on the cusp of totally changing home entertainment. All digital, high quality and wireless.

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2004, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by Evan_11:
Early reports put Airport Export to be a hit but what about the next version?

Wireless firewire is in the works and I bet Apple will be one of the first to adopt it. I could see the next AE revision including firewire. Just imagine streaming High Def quicktime from your iMac, Powerbook or whatever to an Apple branded display device. We're on the cusp of totally changing home entertainment. All digital, high quality and wireless.
What kind of bandwidth are we talking to stream that kind of quality audio and video simultaneously? Is that even feasible at this point?
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

Evan_11  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by DigitalDNA:
What kind of bandwidth are we talking to stream that kind of quality audio and video simultaneously? Is that even feasible at this point?
Compressed video of course, a future QT codec. Pixlet might work. I figure it will come about when Apple opens it's online movie store.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2004, 01:40 PM

Screw bandwidth. What about a remote control?

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2004, 01:52 PM

wireless firewire what will happen to 802.11 than? 802.11 is more widely spread and apple came up with that 2.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 01:54 PM

It'll probably be a year before another airport express would come out at least. Apple can't make them fast enough now.

Evan_11  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Screw bandwidth. What about a remote control?
Bandwidth is everything. Get off your lazy butt or use your ibook as a remote.

Evan_11  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
It'll probably be a year before another airport express would come out at least. Apple can't make them fast enough now.
A year? Wireless technology is exploding and if Apple wants any piece of the pie they'll have what I'm talking about out by next summer.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 08:57 PM

Using the new mpeg-4 codec shipping with panther, they should be able to stream hd quality over current 802.11g tech, and maybe even squeak through with 802.11b.

From Apple's Site :

beautiful HD video (1280x720, 24p) at 5-7 Mbps and full HD video (1920x1080, 24p) at 7-9 Mbps

I was silently hoping that airport express had a secret a/v jack rather than just a stereo jack. It seems a no-brainer to include video capabilities next. Lets hope they do it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2004, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
wireless firewire what will happen to 802.11 than? 802.11 is more widely spread and apple came up with that 2.
Apple did not invent WiFi (802.11a/b/g), but they were the first main-stream computer company to include it in their consumer/home products, and they were the first to make it affordable.

FireWire, however, is an Apple invention.


wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2004, 12:01 AM

Bandwidth is everything. Get off your lazy butt or use your ibook as a remote.
Are you serious? The remote is the one thing holding Airport Express back from being truly great. Why in the world would you put out a product allowing you to wirelessly stream audio from your computer to your stereo, but require you to use the computer to control it? The whole point is that the computer doesn't have to be anywhere near the stereo. I'm not going to go into the other room just to change the song. I bet you'd be pretty pissed if your TV didn't come with a remote, but hey, why don't you just get off your lazy butt and change the channel manually?

Next to that, who cares about bandwidth? Do you really have a need to stream video? What video do you have on your computer but not on DVD?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2004, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Apple did not invent WiFi (802.11a/b/g), but they were the first main-stream computer company to include it in their consumer/home products, and they were the first to make it affordable.
First to make it affordable ... last to make it dirt cheap.

Evan_11  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2004, 12:45 AM

Are you serious? The remote is the one thing holding Airport Express back from being truly great. Why in the world would you put out a product allowing you to wirelessly stream audio from your computer to your stereo, but require you to use the computer to control it?
Apple's philosophy towards airport express is that you're buying it not only because you want a wireless way to stream iTunes to your stereo but that you'll also have your ibook in your lap at the same time. Hence not the need for a remote. Also the remote would have to be WiFi as well (extra cost) unless you they incorporate an IR sensor into AE. That wouldn't be very Apple though.

Next to that, who cares about bandwidth? Do you really have a need to stream video? What video do you have on your computer but not on DVD?
Apple will probably unveil an iMovie store in the near future. No not to play on your iPod but to stream to your TV. If they can achieve HD resoluion on as little as 5Mbps then it will happen. Subscription based movies and television is just around the corner. Notice also how Jobs is making friendly with Disney. You don't want to burn bridges....

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2004, 02:43 AM

Apple's philosophy towards airport express is that you're buying it not only because you want a wireless way to stream iTunes to your stereo but that you'll also have your ibook in your lap at the same time. Hence not the need for a remote. Also the remote would have to be WiFi as well (extra cost) unless you they incorporate an IR sensor into AE. That wouldn't be very Apple though.
Just because you think that's "their philosophy" doesn't mean there is no need for a remote. I think most of the major reviews of Airport Express agree with me (or I agree with them; either way).

Apple will probably unveil an iMovie store in the near future. No not to play on your iPod but to stream to your TV. If they can achieve HD resoluion on as little as 5Mbps then it will happen. Subscription based movies and television is just around the corner. Notice also how Jobs is making friendly with Disney. You don't want to burn bridges....
I don't think people are interested in watching movies on or from their computers (I know I'm not). There just isn't the incentive--you can easily and cheaply watch movies with excellent quality already, with no lengthy download or expensive broadband required.

The computer is already the center of the music scene. However, it is pretty far from the center of the movie scene. I don't see a peripheral item like Airport Express bringing it any closer.

So again: What we need is a remote, not more bandwidth.

robbie stogs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2004, 07:38 AM

The ability to play songs on multiple Express's would be nice.
im a n00b

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2004, 10:16 AM

There's a good article reviewing Airport Express by Mossberg here: http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html

He usually has a heads up on the latest gadgets and mentions that Apple is working on a remote to address the issue. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

mishap
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 10:43 AM

yes, but the remote may cost $500 and may be dubbed the 60GB ipod

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 11:39 AM

Doesn't everyone think that Apple will come out with a remote in the long run? I can't see why they wouldn't. I'm sure there's a good reason (market forces, killer app, available technology, or who knows) that is holding it back. Give 'em time.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2004, 12:09 PM

A year? Wireless technology is exploding and if Apple wants any piece of the pie they'll have what I'm talking about out by next summer.
I think you may need to look at a calendar. If Airport Express II is released by next summer then Apple has about 14 months to release it. Last time I check, that's over a year.

-matt

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2004, 06:41 PM

I dunno about an iMovie download service but I'd welcome being able to play from the DVD Player over wireless... I use my powerbook as my dvd player utilizing the svideo and the audio jack. Yeah I could go get a DVD player but after spending the kind of money a powerbook costs, why not make it worth every penny or in this case 250,000 pennies =) Just downloading a song from the iTunes store takes me forever out in BFE b/c we only have access to dialup. The cable company has been promising cable inet for nearly 2 years and they still don't have an ETA for getting it in. It's sad when you'd give anything just for 128k isdn but that got to be way too expensive. $120/month for the line plus another $30 for service.

As for a remote, eh I dunno.. yeah it would be cool and maybe they will make one eventually but not everyone wants/needs one. Lots and lots of ppl are going to use this thing solely as a portable basestation and won't give a crap about the audio feature and streaming iTunes. Also something to consider as someone else pointed out in a different thread, they could be leaving this channel open for a third party developer like all the crap thats made for iPod and iPod mini... and that wouldn't be a bad idea considering the fact like I mentioned not everyone will want/neeed a remote.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 07:39 PM

Umm.... wouldn't next summer be a year?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2004, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by mishap:
yes, but the remote may cost $500 and may be dubbed the 60GB ipod
Ooooh

Diabolical.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2004, 03:08 AM

Are you serious? The remote is the one thing holding Airport Express back from being truly great. Why in the world would you put out a product allowing you to wirelessly stream audio from your computer to your stereo, but require you to use the computer to control it? The whole point is that the computer doesn't have to be anywhere near the stereo. I'm not going to go into the other room just to change the song. I bet you'd be pretty pissed if your TV didn't come with a remote, but hey, why don't you just get off your lazy butt and change the channel manually?

I have a wireles remote for my laptop. usb with ir and it works well with itunes. I forget the company but the logo is of a small dude in black. sespan or something. I have no problems as long as i face the ir.

ChuKronos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 10:50 AM

I don't think people are interested in watching movies on or from their computers (I know I'm not). There just isn't the incentive--you can easily and cheaply watch movies with excellent quality already, with no lengthy download or expensive broadband required.

The computer is already the center of the music scene. However, it is pretty far from the center of the movie scene. I don't see a peripheral item like Airport Express bringing it any closer.
People are definitely interested in watching movies from their computer. When I travel I always watch movies on my laptop, and I'm not the only one on the plane doing so. I also use my ibook or my powerbook for watching movies when I'm in bed.

If they came out with an iMovies version of iTunes, and I could wirelessly connect to my TV, I would definitely be on board. If Airport express could wirelessly connect to my TV for movies I would definitely buy it. But for now, the only benefit I see to it is the wireless printer, as I can use my iPod with iTrip to play over the stereo.

A lot of people like to create their own movies. It would be great to be able to wirelessly stream that to your television. I can't wait to someday get to throw out my DVD player. It will be nice to see the Pioneer flat panel hooked up to only DirectTv/TiVO, stereo receiver, and a hidden, little white brick.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2004, 12:42 PM

The remote issue isn't one.

Get a Sony Ericsson Bluetooth phone and a BT-equipped Mac. You can select iTunes songs right from the phone.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 01:14 PM

A remote if anything.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules