Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > War of the Worlds Thread

War of the Worlds Thread (Page 2)
Warung
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 02:13 PM

Don't have a lot of time for an in depth "review", but let me say this, - WORST_ENDING_EVAR! Rushed, cheesy and just completely out of place. Oh, and is Spielberg paying Emmerich for using his ideas?

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 02:23 PM

What ever happened to the good old days when we had original, really good flicks like Alien, Poltergeist, Blade Runner and so many others...?

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 30, 2005, 02:32 PM

Oh, I'd love to see a remake of ... just kidding.

Superman
Jun 30, 2005, 02:38 PM

With all of the stupidity surrounding Cruise lately, I dont think I can stomache seeing this movie. I still get the shivers when I think about "Cocktail".

budster101
Baninated
Jun 30, 2005, 02:50 PM

Cocktails and Dreams.... gag.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
What ever happened to the good old days when we had original, really good flicks like Alien, Poltergeist, Blade Runner and so many others...?

Maury
No doubt.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Superman
Jun 30, 2005, 03:12 PM

I cant wait to see Bewitched.

*snicker*

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 03:30 PM

Ahh, Nicole...

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Ahh, Nicole...

Wow, she looks like an older, sexier, all growned up Avril there.

Superman
Jun 30, 2005, 03:45 PM

Thats what is wrong with American cinema today. Not enough of Kidman's boobies.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 05:29 PM

Great movie!!!!!!!!!

I just loved that the Europeans came next after teh terrorists........

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 05:59 PM

mmmm.... kidman...

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 06:27 PM

stuff happened, but there was no plot.

-r.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2005, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Superman
Thats what is wrong with American cinema today. Not enough of Kidman's boobies.
They couldn't save Eyes Wide Shut.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

outsourced
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2005, 06:54 PM

I'd rather watch A.I. twice in a row.
Did Schroedinger's cat think outside the box?

Super Mario
Jun 30, 2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by outsourced
I'd rather watch A.I. twice in a row.
Is this worse than AI?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I still have nightmares about that movie. What were they thinking...

budster101
Baninated
Jun 30, 2005, 08:48 PM

Nicole Kidman... FUGLY.

It was a documentary of Scientology. "Eyes Wide Shut".

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2005, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Is this worse than AI?
I don't think War of the Worlds is quite as bad as AI. Some parts are, but whereas AI was just all-around lame, War of the Worlds has the most irritating writing ever, but nice visuals, so parts where the characters aren't speaking or doing too much are completely badass.
Chuck
___

ihatesuvs68
Baninated
Jul 1, 2005, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
If I have nothing else to do tonight I'll probably go see it.

Oh yeah, I have nothing to do EVERY night here in Wisconsin.

God I hate this state, and I've only been here 3 weeks.
?!

Where in WI? Go to Madison. It's decent. Lotsa stuff to do. I like milwaukee so far... but the best parts aren't cities. Go to devil's lake, or Gilbraltor's Rock, or that Parfrey's Glen place near Devil's lake.

Superman
Jul 1, 2005, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Thats because it centered around Cruise and he is an ass.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2005, 09:54 PM

Well, that's $19.50 I'll never get back.

What a piece of sh*t.

Here's my problem with the movie: in the original, there was this build-up to the end. Here we are at the front lines trying everything we have - tanks, guns, nukes. Nothing works. Then we finally get to see one up close. What do we do? STUDY IT. Just as all hope is lost the aliens die from our own germs. Classic.

In this movie all TC does is RUN AWAY. That's it. The dysfuctional family is such a terrible distraction. Not to mention that we don't see ANY action whatsoever. What a damn cool movie this would have been if the younger Spielberg made it. The scene in the house with Tim Robbins was pointless. What did we learn from it? Close the door, sing a song, and daddy will beat up the bad guy.

This movie sucked.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Warung
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2005, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by starman
Well, that's $19.50 I'll never get back.
You paid $19.50 to see a movie? WTF?

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Geo669
Jul 3, 2005, 01:39 AM

I tend to disagree with all the bad comments about this film.
Its always easy to criticise Spielberg, his popularity clouds how good he really is. I was happy to see Tom Cruise, doing a pretty good job, considering his Tom cruise, its hard, not to see him as that in most movies, despite his popularity, or lack there of right now, his still a good actor.

And it was good to see Dakoda, playing someone her own age but shes always great. The fact that the movie focuses on the stuggle of the family is a good thing, it hits home. It doesnt matter what everyone else is doing in the situation, your families survival is all that matters.

I just think the film was well directed, filled with suspense, and darker than the usual Spielberg film. The scene with Tom and Tim robbins, Is confronting, the fact that it doesnt show anything makes it more intensifing, and the implications of whats happening are confronting.

The end did come alittle out of nowhere, which isn't a trait of Spielberg who loves to drag a film on. I enjoyed it, its more than an action blockbuster, and i would recommend anyone to watch it, with an open opinion, instead of judging based on your own conceptions of Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2005, 06:59 AM

Saw it lastnight, its a good film. Yes there are glitches in the plot, like why did the video camera still work, but overall it was a pretty good telling of the story. I went with my dad (a big fan of the '53 film and the 70's Jeff Wayne album) so he picked up on a lot from the original versions, like the Tim Robbins character saying he can dig a tunnel and form a resistance. And he recognised who their Grandfather was at the end of the film (Gene Barry from the '53 film, nice touch). I recognised some scene setups from other films, watching the probe snakehead searching in Tim Robbins' place reminded me of the raptors in the kitchen in Jurassic Park, but maybe thats just me. The aliens and tripods were well done, but the design of them was a bit... underwhelming. I can't find any pictures of the new aliens or tripods, they must be on a good lockdown while the film is on release! As for the end coming out of nowhere, it was a little rushed, but do you know the story when you're saying that?! That is what happens to them.

Overall, good, but not the greatest. It could have been better, but I didn't feel like I had wasted my time or money watching it at all.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2005, 07:23 AM

I've seen it last night. And man was i dissapointed. I knew i was going to expect a few holes here and there but this movie is one big g0atse if you ask me. I still can't believe it, i went with good hope of seeing a dark sci-fi. I've read and heard people saying this was 'Saving Private Ryan' with aliens... The holocaust with tripods... etc. And well, it started off good, when the first Tripod was introduced and got into extermitation mode i was like: yes! Go aliens! And it was all fine until the moment Tim Robbins came into picture. From that point alot of stuff went through my mind, no spoilers but man, those aliens... After million of years they've been waiting to do what?! Millions of years they have been waiting. Even without a brain it will be quite an achievement to enjoy this movie. Go see Underpendence Day or something.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2005, 07:31 AM

I enjoyed this movie pretty much, even though it has some very unnerving inconsistencies. I won't say much about those that were already identified.

*Some spoilers*

I think Spielberg's goal with that movie was to exploit the common man type of hero.

The father, a loser (he had a great wife and seems to have never grown old enough to achieve the necessary maturity) is sucked in survival mode. Everything else is irrelevant. The aliens become a reason to grow up; taking his responsibility, facing his failures (the food box his son made, his incapacity to sign a lullaby, being aware too late that his daughter won a prize she waved in his face for the first 2/3 of the movie), then doing more than his usual to save her from the monsters and use a strike of luck to blow one of these machines.He is an ordinary man facing helplessness and little control over his environment, and got some luck. Even his leadership means nothing since his son acts the hero more often than him.

The ending seems to be anti-climaxing because the hero is not the cause of the demise, and never has he attempted to do anything. The previous version of the movie had a scientist for a hero, witnessing his own powerlessness which he recovers from a quick understanding of what killed the aliens. This version has the common man as a witness, using his common sense, and the real climax is that he achieved his journey to his ex-wife's home, probably the only thing he ever completely accomplished in his life.

Tom Cruise plays a very small man in an environment that diminishes him always, and never become anything like a hero.

Some scenes were absolutly fanstastic and the crowd control impressed me as well. The machines were great as well, but the whole idea of these buried underground for millenia with the piulots being inserted long afterwards does not jive well with me.

As for a remake, I give it generous marks, but it could have been better.

I saw the "King Kong" trailer and looking forward to watch that. Maybe War of the Worlds could have been rendered the same, as it was pictured in the novel by Wells.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2005, 08:32 AM

Saw the film yesterday. The only reason why I am not dissapointed is that I didn't expect much.

Independence Day - Signs = WOTW

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2005, 09:54 AM

Saving Private Ryan with aliens? This film is a 12A certificate here! - under 12's allowed with an accompanying adult. Would you have taken an under 12 to see Saving Private Ryan?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2005, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
Independence Day - Signs = WOTW
I like WOTW better than Independence Day. Does anyone really expect that the large alien starship in ID4 wouldn't have a ****ing password?

The fact is, in both ID4 and WOTW, there is no way humans would win. That is why I think that the WOTW ending makes more sense.
Agent69

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Warung

2 people, dude.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2005, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Agent69
I like WOTW better than Independence Day. Does anyone really expect that the large alien starship in ID4 wouldn't have a ****ing password?

The fact is, in both ID4 and WOTW, there is no way humans would win. That is why I think that the WOTW ending makes more sense.
Does anyone really belive that these things could be under the ground for a million years and never be found? Come on, Spielberg's a smart person, even he made a movie about dinosaur bones that have been found after 65 million years.

Here's the thing, I have to say that the movie started off well. It just got stupid, and for a movie called War of the Worlds, we saw no action sequences. Um, I feel a little cheated. At least in ID4 we had TWO big battles.

Mike

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Warung
That sounds about right for me + date where I live.
Chuck
___

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice
As for the end coming out of nowhere, it was a little rushed, but do you know the story when you're saying that?! That is what happens to them.
Yes, that's what happens in the book, but the book isn't a dumb action movie with a tone that's completely inconsistent with that ending. Like I said, they even seem to be aware that it's a lame ending for an action movie, so they have that stupid "OMG LOOK AT THE GODDAMN BIRDS!!!11" scene.
Chuck
___

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2005, 12:57 PM

I did like it but this is what bothered me about it.

1) I don't think the Aliens have been here for millions of years, perhaps just a couple thousand. They could have buried those machines making it look like a meteor crash.

2) Why didn't they first invade when they buried the machines? Human population would have been way less nor would the aliens have to worry about weapons.

3) How could they have not tested the water for microbes etc before they crawled into the basement and had a sip of water from the floor. Nevermind before they started to invade.

4) that eye camera thing was neat but surely they have a remote camera without a foot thick cable. Also I can't believe the camera doesn't have an infrared setting to see lifeforms better.

5) I don't understand, where the machines also effected by the bacteria? Was it rotting away in the shot of the crashed one at the end? It seemed it was part biological because of that big orifice that sucked people up in the undercarriage. If they were effected why didn't the bacteria bother them buried under the earth for all those years?

6) Why did they have to bury the machines in advance at all?

7) Why did the lightning cause no thunder?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2005, 01:10 PM

And yet again they had a chance to make the aliens look like hot babes that we all like to see and they blew it!!!

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2005, 01:22 PM

I bet tom had an impact on the story, at least it makes sense from a scientology point of view...

scientology says something along the lines of aliens crash landed on earth and invaded people with their "thatens"??? and he are dealing with that consequence to this day (cancer, headaches etc)

so that would kind of work with the aliens death ships already here on earth..

I really liked the movie... I go to movies to be ENTERTAINED, and let me tell you I was quite entertained, I was on the edge of my seat for a good long part of the movie, some of the scenes made me thing about human nature, and I really liked the blood spray thing...

all I have to say is that I was really entertained, and thats all I ask for...

Zach

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2005, 10:11 PM

Watched it yesterday. I demand for a full refund.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2005, 10:46 PM

Just saw it. What a pointless waste of time.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth
Watched it yesterday. I demand for a full refund.

How did that work out for you?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

galarneau
Senior User
Jul 4, 2005, 12:39 AM

I'm boycotting any movie that has anything to do with Tom Cruise.

His statements about psychiatry were totally moronic. I work in the medical field, and he is just friggin' stupid, it amazes me.

I just can't stand to think that by seeing one of his movies, the money I earn would end up in that f*ckwits pockets.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 4, 2005, 12:44 AM

He gives a lot to Scientology as well. It's called a donation when it's a religion, but when it's Scientology, it's called blackmail, because they probably have some naked pictures of him with another guy.

I will never pay for anything where Tom Cruise is involved. Spielburg is running a close second for defending the idiot.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2005, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
How did that work out for you?

Actually, I'm fine with Tom Cruise. Of course, I won't get any money back in reality.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2005, 11:37 PM

Yeah, I've got a big problem with the whole bacteria-killing-the-aliens thing.
Just how is it that after watching the planet for "a million years" they never bothered to check if the microbes were harmful. Some super-intellegence there... not.

While I know that this is how the original story went, it was written in, what, 1890?? I'd expect aliens planing to overtake our world to be a bit more careful.

...an alien conversation...

Hey, Buzflerp! I've discovered a great planet we can take over! Lots of natural resources. And life-forms we can convert to fertilizer, too.

Great work, Gilzap. Their military looks pretty weak, too. Is there anything down there that can hurt us?

Uh, well, I didn't really check. But were smart aliens. Nothing will happen to us. I mean, we've got really big walking machines, you know. Plus, didn't you know all that biology is just a pseudoscience, anyway??

Ok, Gilzap. Warm up the heat ray guns...

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 01:08 AM

i saw it. it was bad

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 01:32 AM

Bad as in bad? Or bad as in how Michael Jackson would use the word bad?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 04:27 AM

As for those complaining about the virus/microbe effect, I'd just like to point out that virii and microbes NEVER, EVER mutate. Not to mention there are billions if not trillions of each on the planet. Kinda hard for any civilization, no matter how advanced, to account for that.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 5, 2005, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Arty50
As for those complaining about the virus/microbe effect, I'd just like to point out that virii and microbes NEVER, EVER mutate. Not to mention there are billions if not trillions of each on the planet. Kinda hard for any civilization, no matter how advanced, to account for that.
Even if us measly humans went to a planet with an atmosphere our scientists would tell us to take all precautions like biosuits, air supply, yadda

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 05:47 AM

When you're invading another planet one of the first things you do is leave your vessel.... naked.
( Last edited by yakkiebah; Jul 5, 2005 at 05:54 AM. )

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 09:21 AM

Saw it. Didn't hate it. If you know H.G. Wells' orginal I think you'll have to admit this was a suitable remake.

Also, I think Crusie is a nutjob. Seriously. But this guy can act. I put 'Minority Report' just behind 'Blade Runner' on my list. I thought he and Dakota Fanning were great in this. With all the CGI in this film I can't imagine how hard it is to 'act' against things that aren't really on the set with you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules