Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dreamhost.com and Mail.app for email?

Dreamhost.com and Mail.app for email?
mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2007, 01:13 AM

Does anybody here have this configuration? Does anyone have any alternatives for setting up the IMap account without going into the terminal as they suggest?

The terminal scares me.

Please help if you have any ideas.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2007, 01:25 AM

That doesn't sound right. Please provide a link to their instructions.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by mydog8mymac View Post
Does anybody here have this configuration? Does anyone have any alternatives for setting up the IMap account without going into the terminal as they suggest?

The terminal scares me.

Please help if you have any ideas.
That doesn't sound right at all either. I have my Dreamhost mail configured right now through Mail.app.

The server for both incoming and outgoing is:
mail.insertyourdomainhere.com
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2007, 03:29 AM

the instructions are in their wiki and the moderately scary stuff is to deal with having Mail/OSX accept the server's SSL certificate.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 03:34 AM

I don't remember anything about them telling you to use Terminal.
First set up any desired account(s) at their control panel https://panel.dreamhost.com
Under the "mail" menu there choose submenu "manage email" and click on link "create a new email address.
True the options there are a bit weirdly laid out, but enter the name and choose the desired domain that you've got hosted with them (first line),
and several lines below give a "Name" to that email account and choose password.
After submitting with the "Create Address" submit-button they will return you an acct # like: m6623709

You'll need to allow a few minutes for the new account to become available (the resulting page shows a clockface beside the account in meanwhile).

Then in your Mac's Mail app's Preferences' section on Accounts follow the "+" to add a new account.
Be sure that when it asks for "User ID" to put in the alphanumeric they assign (e.g., m6623709).
[ I thought I saw a note somewhere/when that they were loosening that requirementt and allowing you to use the user name for the account, but I had some problems once, and find using the assigned alphanumeric to be most reliable. ]

If you still have problems, please describe in detail here. Good luck!
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

mydog8mymac  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2007, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet View Post
I don't remember anything about them telling you to use Terminal.

Then in your Mac's Mail app's Preferences' section on Accounts follow the "+" to add a new account.
Be sure that when it asks for "User ID" to put in the alphanumeric they assign (e.g., m6623709).
[ I thought I saw a note somewhere/when that they were loosening that requirementt and allowing you to use the user name for the account, but I had some problems once, and find using the assigned alphanumeric to be most reliable. ]

If you still have problems, please describe in detail here. Good luck!
Did you set it up as a POP or an IMAP?

They suggest IMAP but when I try to set it up even with the alphanumeric as the user name, I get this in the Apple Mail setup dialog box:

The IMAP server “mail.mydomain.com” is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the “Incoming Mail Server” field. If it still doesn’t respond, the server might be temporarily unavailable.

If you continue, you may not be able to receive any email.

(Yes, I have my domain's name in the .mydomain.com spot - just haven't included it here for all mankind to see.)

Suggestions—?

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2007, 01:42 PM

Is this on a new account? You might just need to be patient a couple days until your domain name propagates through DNS.

I haven't had any issues using the "[email protected]" instead of the "m12345678" username for my IMAP accounts.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 02:44 PM

Yeah, it works fine. The Terminal stuff is only for SSL, which is a damned good idea to use, but not the end of the world if you don't.

Also, may I suggest Google Apps for Your Domain , which I use in conjunction with Dreamhost.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2007, 04:24 PM

Yes, just IMAP, w/o any Terminal.

-t

mydog8mymac  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2007, 12:42 AM

So, I don't have to use the SSL?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2007, 05:12 PM

Nope, I don't think so.

I'll have to check if I did more to my system than just using IMAP in Mail, but at least I don't remember that I did.

-t

mydog8mymac  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2007, 07:55 PM

Thanks — that would sure be easier!

Waiting hopefully.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2007, 02:40 PM

IMAP without SSL enabled works fine here - just give it a shot. Assuming it all works as expected you can always try enabling SSL later.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2007, 02:49 PM

All the terminal command does is prevent the warning dialog from coming up about the SSL cert being self-signed when you startup your mail client each time. This is a matter of convenience, as you can easily dismiss this dialog.

If they offer SSL, you should definitely use it. You should not send your password in the clear unless you don't care about having your account compromised.

A self-signed certificate is just as secure as a commercial one, so long as you trust the signer.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2007, 06:02 PM

Actually, I think the problem isn't that it's self-signed, but that the hostnames won't match (the cert is issued to mail.dreamhost.com, but your mail client is connecting to mail.yourdomain.com).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Actually, I think the problem isn't that it's self-signed, but that the hostnames won't match (the cert is issued to mail.dreamhost.com, but your mail client is connecting to mail.yourdomain.com).

Why don't they just create mail.yourdomain.com as a canonical name for mail.dreamhost.com, or at least have the IP resolve to the same machine so that the domain names are interchangeable?

Forum Links
Forum Rules