Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 1 - Lost My Apps!

iPhone 1 - Lost My Apps!
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 03:12 AM

I still have my original 2007 iPhone. I have a much newer one I use as a phone, and I've been using my old one for a few years as an alarm clock. I set the screen to never sleep, and leave the alarm clock running. It has worked pretty well. Until yesterday. I did a backup, and restore of the phone, because it was acting weird. Now ALL of the 3rd party apps are gone, except for the old TDAmeritrade app. The newest OS this phone can run is OS3, and of course no current apps can run on an OS that old. I don't know why the apps weren't restored from the backup? Is there any way to get them back? Without apps, this thing is now completely useless.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 11:04 AM

I'm pretty sure you're SOL.

I don't know why your apps didn't restore when you restored your backup. It's possible that iTunes enforced an update of all the apps on the phone, which would have rendered all of them unusable since they probably all require at least iOS 4 now.

You might try jailbreaking and manually installing all the apps you want. I think there's a program that lets you recover stuff from an iPhone backup.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

P
Sep 17, 2013, 11:55 AM

Apple has just modified the App Store so it will offer older versions of software for devices that are limited in which OS versions it will support. Give it a try to see if you can download your apps again now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2013, 03:12 PM

I was just going to post that.

This is awesome, and it's exactly what you're looking for:

Apple Begins Offering 'Last Compatible' Version of Apps for Users Running Legacy Versions of iOS - Mac Rumors

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2013, 05:56 PM

So when I try this, I don't get the option to download an older version. I just get an error saying the app requires OS 5, and that's it. I don't see any options for anything else. Any ideas?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2013, 12:23 PM

Did you check your trash can? When iTunes updates your apps, it moves the older versions to the trash can. You should be OK if you didn't empty your trash can.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2013, 04:08 AM

So I'm thinking this "last version compatible" thing is a feature only for iOS4 or iOS5, because it's not working at all on my iOS3 phone. Which is too bad, because this old phone made a still useful iPod touch until that last restore erased it. Now it's been made completely useless by Apple

P
Sep 20, 2013, 05:13 AM

If you can find the old app files in a backup anywhere on the Mac, you can use them. Just drag them to iTunes before you sync. Extension is .ipa, if you're searching for them.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2013, 05:15 AM

Tried that already tonight, no luck. Once I started using this phone as an alarm clock, I didn't sync it any more. And I had a newer version of the alarm clock on my 4S.

andi*pandi
Sep 20, 2013, 10:22 AM

contacting the developer?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2013, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
So I'm thinking this "last version compatible" thing is a feature only for iOS4 or iOS5, because it's not working at all on my iOS3 phone. Which is too bad, because this old phone made a still useful iPod touch until that last restore erased it. Now it's been made completely useless by Apple
Did you ever do a full phone backup through iTunes?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

andi*pandi
Sep 20, 2013, 02:36 PM

time machine for older backups?

Forum Links
Forum Rules