Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > VMWare Fusion: Sticky Cursor with Mac on Mac Action

VMWare Fusion: Sticky Cursor with Mac on Mac Action
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2014, 04:30 AM

I'm running the newest version of Fusion, 6.0.3. I have all sorts of virtual machines, but the only ones I'm having this problem with are the Macs. My main Mac vm is running 10.6.8 Server. It had been running great, but recently, it has started having cursor problems. So here's the general idea of what happens:

It will usually work fine for a bit. Then I'll try to move the cursor out of the guest OS window. The cursor will get only a few pixels out, then it will freeze. No more cursor movement. Sometimes I can click, which will switch to the app I click in, which is usually the finder. But this doesn't always work, sometimes it gets really stuck. Also when the cursor freezes, you can do command-tab, but that switches the app inside the guest, it doesn't take you out of VMWare. But, it does at least free up the cursor INSIDE the guest, so you can start using the guest again. The only good way to be free is to Command-Q your way out, and let the guest go to sleep, then reopen VMware.

Another weird thing is that once this happens, Mission Control dies. No more switching spaces via shortcut keys or hot corners. The only way to activate Mission Control becomes the Mission Control .app; But once you quit VMWare, everything goes back to normal.

I can run 4 different Windows VM's at once and I never have this problem. Its only on my Mac VM. I did try reinstalling the VMWare tools on the guest twice already, it had no effect.

Any ideas?

ibook_steve
Jun 11, 2014, 06:34 PM

My snarky comment would be to switch to Parallels, but I won't do that.

If reinstalling the tools didn't fix it, perhaps a reinstall of Fusion itself would help. It sounds like some preferences or something are interfering with Mac OS X. I'm not sure, though, why only one VM would be giving you a problem.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2014, 06:35 PM

And its not every time. For example its been running fine for a few hours today. Strange.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 11, 2014, 09:39 PM

Have you seen any help in the Fusion forums?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2014, 09:44 PM

I did a little searching but didn't find anything. And rather than sign up to post there, I figured I'd just post here and maybe i'd get lucky.

Forum Links
Forum Rules