Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMAC to Tiger?

iMAC to Tiger?
javelin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2005, 09:00 AM

I own two macs, an iMAC at home (10.2.8) and a powermac G5, Tiger.... I wonder if I can use the Tiger DVD to upgrade my iMAC to Tiger?

Thanks for any input.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2005, 12:57 PM

Should cause no problems. But don't upgrade as such - do a Clean Install of the OS
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

bernt
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2005, 01:58 PM

Did Tiger come on the installation cd's to your powermac or have you bought the retail version of tiger? If you have tiger on the installation cd's for your powermac there is not 100% sure that you will be able to use them on the iMac. Might work, but wouldn't bet my life on it.

Fonzie: Did you mean clean install as in archive and install or as in erase and install? Because an erase and install would be somewhat overkill, and much more time consuming than a regular archive and install. As long as your user area isn't serioulsy messed up, an archive and install would be the best bet. I would only run a upgrade if you have performed an erase and install installation of an earlier os version.
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by bernt
Did Tiger come on the installation cd's to your powermac or have you bought the retail version of tiger? If you have tiger on the installation cd's for your powermac there is not 100% sure that you will be able to use them on the iMac. Might work, but wouldn't bet my life on it.

Fonzie: Did you mean clean install as in archive and install or as in erase and install? Because an erase and install would be somewhat overkill, and much more time consuming than a regular archive and install. As long as your user area isn't serioulsy messed up, an archive and install would be the best bet. I would only run a upgrade if you have performed an erase and install installation of an earlier os version.
While that is true with a erase and install you are almost guarunteed not to run into compatability problems as you would if you did an upgrade.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

bernt
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2005, 05:09 PM

You wont run into compatability problems by running an archive and install either, as all system files are replaced and 3rd party extension etc are removed. But erase and install is the best bet if you're not sure if your problems are system-wide or user-specific.
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

Forum Links
Forum Rules