Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help!!! Mac Files To Ms Windows Hd

Help!!! Mac Files To Ms Windows Hd
judge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2007, 12:22 PM

HELPPP PLEASEEEE

I have a macbook pro, my dad had a toshiba sattelite laptop (microsoft windows 2000).
My dads laptop recently has broken and he has removed the hard drive, he has put it in a cradle and i plugged it into my macbook pro via the usb port. the harddrive shows up and i can view items on it, BUT I CANT PUT A FILE FROM MY MAC TO THIS MSW HARD DRIVE!!!!! I assume this is because it is microsoft windows, and i am using Mac, but i heard there are programs you can download so i can put files from my mac onto his hard drive!
If anyone could help with my problem i would really appreciate it, other wise i will have to buy a brand new external hard drive as i need to get rid of 15-20gb of my dads photos!
thanks alot
Judge

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 17, 2007, 01:02 PM

Probably the drive is formatted using NTFS. MacOS X has no built-in support to write to NTFS volumes (as you see, it can read them).

The MacFUSE project has an NTFS module that does support writing, but it isn't particularly fast for external drives.

A simpler solution, if you have Windows installed on your MBP via Boot Camp, would be to install a demo of the program MacDrive in Windows. That'll let you copy data off your Mac partition onto the external NTFS drive quickly, without much hassle.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2007, 02:01 PM

? If your dad's machine is broken, shouldn't you get the data OFF the drive ?

As already written, modern Windows has (normally) NTFS as filessystem which is read only for MacOS.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

judge  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2007, 02:17 PM

thanks guys, but it seems that my mac wont even recognise the hd now.... piece of sh%t
i downloaded the stuff you said ntfs but now cant get hd to show up on mac
thanks for trying to help

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2007, 08:01 PM

?

but yeah, you can't write to NTSF, only FAT32.....
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 17, 2007, 11:49 PM

No, if one has MacFUSE and NTFS-3G, one _can_ write to NTFS partitions. That said, it sounds as if the external drive may be dying. Does it show up in Apple's Disk Utility?

Forum Links
Forum Rules