Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > If OS X can remember… displays related

If OS X can remember… displays related
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2007, 08:38 AM

Never noticed this one… I have two Apple Studio Displays ( 21 & 17 inches ) but I only plug one at a time to the MDD, so no dual display set-up here. The desktop picture differs from one to another due to the 21 inches' higher resolution, to my surprise when I use any of them, OS X does know which desktop I had which such display. How came that?, maybe the 17 inches' desktop picture behaves like being the 'by default' one and once I use the 21 inches such info is transmitted by the USB connection?, I highly doubt that…

Anyway, if OS X can know that… why wouldn't know the particular windows size for every app once opened with any of the displays? (*). I have to resize them since, -obviously- there is way more room on the 21 screen than the 17 model due to the former running at higher resolutions.

(*) I think that was accomplished by SwitchRes under OS 9, is it the same under OS X ?

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2007, 12:41 PM

Your post is a little hard to follow — odd grammar, missing pronouns and such.

As far as I can tell, OS X remembers your display settings for each individual display and display combination, including background pictures. However, window sizes and positions are saved on an application-wise basis, I think, and are not related to which display you're using. OS X will shrink windows if they don't fit the current resolution, but that's about it.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2007, 02:07 PM

well OS X can keep a cache of display settings ...every display tells the computer what it is when connected.... even old CRT monitors.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

Forum Links
Forum Rules