Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 2 harddrives, OS X will only mount 1 at a time

2 harddrives, OS X will only mount 1 at a time
Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 10:33 PM

Hello, I just recently bought 2 firewire+USB 2 enclosures to put 2 identical maxtor 250GB drives in.

The two enclosures are exactly the same, the harddrives are exactly the same, formatted the same way, but with two different names..

When I plug them both in VIA USB, they both show up and work fine... and when I plug each harddrive up seperately, they show up using either FW port on the enclosure.

but when I try to daisy chain the drives together, or plug each drive into a seperate working firewire port, only 1 will show up (if that.)

this happens in OS X, Windows XP, AND Ubuntu... what in the world could be causing this?

thanks!

again, they both show up when both are connected via USB.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

MrMacbookMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2007, 10:38 PM

I'm not too familiar with exactly what you are trying to do, but have you tried using disk utility in OSX to mount it or do whatever you may need to do? Because I had a bit of trouble with my external and when I replaced my internal hard drive, but disk utility was very helpful. Good luck and sorry if I'm not any help.
I was able to pay for my new macbook
just by trying out products from home.
The pay is great and it's free to join.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2007, 04:05 AM

Are the pin settings on the drives themselves set to Master on both? I don't know how necessary it is in external drives, but it could be that they need to be set up as Slave drives. See the instructions that came with the hard drive (and enclosures) to see how/if you need to change the pin settings.

Frugle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2007, 05:15 PM

It is my understanding that in enclosures they both have to be masters (these came out of a lacie enclosure as masters)

Slave drives are only for when 2 drives are on the same cable.. (which is why you also have a "cable Select or CS" jumper...)

The drives work fine, I took them out of a lacie case, put them in a tempoary USB case (and used them both) and now have these firewire cases and the problem above.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Mar 24, 2007, 03:22 PM

Connect one of the two drives via FireWire. Go to System Profiler and look up the GUID of the device. Disconnect the drive and check the GUID of the other hard drive enclosure. If both have the same GUID, they cannot run together on the same FireWire controller. It's the equivalent of having two network cards with the same MAC address on the same network.

If this is really the problem, send one of the drives back and demand a replacement with another GUID. Two FireWire devices must never have the same GUID, so this would clearly be a hardware defect.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2007, 12:44 PM

This is a common problem with CHEAP drive enclosures.

IIRC, it's part of the Firewire spec that device IDs are assigned automatically when devices are connected.

If you got a pair of cheap boxes, they've probably cut corners by giving the box a static device number, avoiding a couple of chips.

I had a customer with *exactly* the same problem, and they were piece-of-**** $20 enclosures.

Forum Links
Forum Rules