Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Transferring to external hard drive - help?

Transferring to external hard drive - help?
cbo12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2007, 10:36 AM

I got a G-Drive Combo external hard drive to store pictures, music, data, etc, because I was constantly running out of room on my computer's HD (I have a PowerBook G4 12"). I am NOT good with computers, so I began transferring things by dragging and dropping. This only makes copies of them to the g-drive, and unfortunately I lost a lot of pictures and music files when I then deleted them from my computer. Luckily I have backup for the pics. Anyways, I was hoping someone could help me and let me know how to move the original files to the g-drive, not just copy them - I think it's called partitioning? (But I really have no idea what that is...) Thanks!!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2007, 10:42 AM

No, partitioning is the splitting up of disk space into logical portions, which has nothing to do with what you're asking about. You need to copy over whichver library folder you're talking about (drag and drop should be fine) and then go into the application's preferences and change the path of the library to the new location.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2007, 11:17 AM

I don't think that is what he means... when going from one drive to another.. OS X assumes that you do not want to delete it from its origional location....

if you want to get past this, when you click and start dragging, before you drop it, hold down the option key.. (or just hold down the option key the whole time ) If you click the item and then push the option key, you will notice the little green (+) sign dissapear, this means you are moving the file, not just copying it.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2007, 11:35 AM

I don't understand what he means when he says he "lost" files then. Maybe he was creating aliases (little triangles appear over those icons).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cbo12  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2007, 01:01 PM

What I mean by "lost" is that after I transferred them, I deleted the originals, and when I tried to open them from the g-drive, it said that the original could not be located. I am going to try both suggestions - thanks for your help!! I really appreciate it. Not that it matters, but I'm a she. Thanks again!

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 26, 2007, 01:12 PM

Sounds like you copied aliases (files that simply act as shorthand for other files) to the G-Drive. Aliases can be distinguished from normal files by a small arrow at the lower left-hand corner of their icons.

If you do 'get info' on one of those aliases, there is a field marked 'Original' that will tell you where it thinks the referenced file is.

ibook_steve
Mar 26, 2007, 01:33 PM

If you are using iPhoto and iTunes, then just copy over the entire "iPhoto Library" folder from the Pictures folder and the "iTunes" folder from the Music folder, both found in your home directory. Then, in each program, just configure each program to look for its library on the external drive. Once you've done this, it is safe to delete the files on your local drive. Of course, since it's a portable machine, if you are not connected to the external drive, you will have no access to your music or pictures.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules