Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > through eithernet I get 25,000Kbp/s...

through eithernet I get 25,000Kbp/s...
Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2007, 01:05 AM

but through my macbook Pro, I only get 75Kbp/s down and 14kbps up... what could be causing this?

It is actually universal.. both my ibook and MBP are having significant speed problems.

This is what I get when running speakeasy or speedtest.net speed test on my ubuntu server connected to my linksys router using eithernet...

but when I connect through that same router using wireless, the past 2 days It has been going slower than dialup..

I figured that if a router were to break, it would die... not slow down it's wireless... is that true? what can I do to regain some speed?
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 28, 2007, 08:36 AM

Please explain what you mean by "through ethernet" - does this mean your Macs are getting the same sort of performance while wired?

My first thought is to power-cycle the router. A good "reboot" can do wonders for performance. In such a case, the router hasn't "broken" but its firmware has, and rebooting should straighten it out.

(I use a separate router and access point, initially because I bought the wired router and later decided to go wireless. But I find that having the separate boxes makes it much easier to figure out what's goofed up.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules