Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Big mistake? 24" iMac?

Big mistake? 24" iMac?
lostjamie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2007, 03:19 PM

Hi there,

I've just placed an order for a 24" iMac. But was it a big mistake? There probably will be a revision to it sometime soon ? But will that mean my iMac is rubbish from then on?

I'm just asking as i'd like to put my mind at rest and if its too late to cancel haha

Anyways, you think that the new model (if so) will be any better?

I've ordered the following:

IMAC 24/CTO

Custom configuration

2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
3GB 667DDR2SDRAM - 1x2GB,1x1GB
NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GT w/256
250GB Serial ATA Drive
SuperDrive 8X (DVDR-DL/CD-RW)
WL Kybd-Mse & Mac OS X-UK
Country Kit-GBR

memory-minus
Senior User
Feb 26, 2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by lostjamie View Post
Hi there,

I've just placed an order for a 24" iMac. But was it a big mistake? There probably will be a revision to it sometime soon ? But will that mean my iMac is rubbish from then on?
No. My personal feeling is that we won't see an iMac update for 2 or 3 more months (around Leopard). Even if a replacement comes out in the next two weeks, you can get a refund of the difference by calling Apple. Once I even negotiated 50% of the difference when a new model came out 5 weeks after my order.

Originally Posted by lostjamie
I'm just asking as i'd like to put my mind at rest and if its too late to cancel haha
It's too late. CTOs are sent to the factory immediately after credit authorization takes place, usually less than an hour, after which they are not cancelable and not returnable. So you'll probably have to live with it regardless.

Originally Posted by lostjamie
Anyways, you think that the new model (if so) will be any better?

I've ordered the following:

IMAC 24/CTO

Custom configuration

2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
3GB 667DDR2SDRAM - 1x2GB,1x1GB
NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GT w/256
250GB Serial ATA Drive
SuperDrive 8X (DVDR-DL/CD-RW)
WL Kybd-Mse & Mac OS X-UK
Country Kit-GBR
Sounds bad ass to me.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2007, 03:51 PM

I would of waited. Else, good.

If I had $3000+ to spend on that iMac, that would be it!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 03:54 PM

First of all, even if they released updated iMac's tomorrow, the iMac you just ordered wouldn't immediately turn into rubbish. I have a 24" iMac, and I can tell you that it will last for a very long time before it turns to rubbish.

And it looks like you went ahead and pimped out your iMac, which is good if you want it to last as long as possible. I got an identical setup, but with 2GB of RAM, but I plan on adding another 1GB soon.

It always hurts when you buy a brand new computer and then something comes out that is a little better a short time after. But that's life when you're buying computers and gadgets. You're only going to have the latest and greatest computer for 6 months tops, if you're lucky. If you needed a computer now, then it was smart to get one now. If you could've waited before getting a new one (and who knows, it could be months) then you probably wouldn't have gotten one.

Anyways, don't sweat it, I think you're just having some buyer's remorse. But believe me, the minute you open that box you'll forget all about it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 05:41 PM

You ordered a very sweet config.

With Santa Rosa not shipping until May, you'd be waiting for three months if you wouldn't have got it now.

lostjamie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2007, 05:56 PM

Hmm im warming to the idea of it now, i've been using a MacBook Pro for 6 months now and while i could have bought a 23" Cinema Display for it i decided an iMac would be my best bet if i was going to spend some serious money. As currently i'd like a larger screen, a better spec and something solid i can work at. I generally use my MBP for on the go stuff like taking to College and stuff but i hate having to unpack it and set up the power cables so it runs behind my desk etc.. where as an iMac would be great and it's much more powerful for my video and graphics demanding apps.

Anyways, i think i'll love it when i open it up next week

Thanks guys

lostjamie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2007, 06:00 PM

Hi again,

How long would you think this iMac would last me? Like will there be new processors and apps that only work on the new processors happen soon? Or am i a few years away from this?

Whats your thoughts?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 06:09 PM

The next update is coming in May or June.

There's no software on the horizon that won't work on your iMac. The CPU is socketed, so you can always drop in a faster chip in the future.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 06:10 PM

Depends on your computer needs. If you're a normal user (web surfing, photos, iTunes, chatting, office apps, etc) you'll probably be fine for 3-4 years. There probably won't be any huge paradigm shifts anytime soon. You made a great choice! Enjoy!

Worst case scenario, if you get it, and decide you don't like it, you can sell it for 80%-85% of what you paid. Not much lost.

ImpulseResponse

bensone1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2007, 06:59 PM

there will always be something bigger and better that will come out each time. but the config that you have should keep you busy for awhile. when the new line is released for the imac im sure that they will just be bumping the processor up .33GHZ among other minor things, so i think that you are fine

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 07:24 PM

Apple wont be making any major processor changes for a very long time. They just invested in Intel and are still working with developers to get all the software to work natively on those chips. Hell, even Adobe hasn't caught up yet. (damn you slow ass Adobe!)

hldan
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 08:29 PM

The Intel transition was completed mid last year. Apple can change processors at anytime and it has no effect on the software developers. The iMacs are due for an update but maybe not with the processors, we may see a new GPU and HDD and possibly Blu-Ray disc. Don't be shocked if a new color is announced.....

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
The Intel transition was completed mid last year. Apple can change processors at anytime and it has no effect on the software developers. The iMacs are due for an update but maybe not with the processors, we may see a new GPU and HDD and possibly Blu-Ray disc. Don't be shocked if a new color is announced.....
Sorry, what I meant by a processor change was akin to switching from PPC to Intel. And that certainly does effect software developers, as well as many people's decisions on buying now or later. The OP's concern was if Apple was going to switch processors any time soon that would make his computer obsolete faster than normal.

hldan
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 09:25 PM

Sorry, not to question your reading skills but the OP never said anything about being concerned about processor changes. He mentioned about the next revision. Usually that would mean a processor speed bump and not a transisiton of IC chips.

lostjamie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 05:26 AM

I'm now thinking after hldan's post, that infact a colour change (to black) is going to be an option and probably is going to happen. I've seen it rumoured on a few blogs but as my friend said to me "Those rumour sites said there was going to be an update with the Cinema Display" and have you seen an update? Nah.

I think the Blu-Ray disc wont be in an update for a very long time, just what im thinking though.

My iMac should arrive later this week (Friday) i'm presuming but i wont get my hopes up, sometimes they've delivered next day (Even when it said 3 days build time) and other times i've seen it come in 7 days. (But this is a different story)

Thanks, i'll be doing some mini review on my blog when i get the chance to play with it for a few days.

Noscito
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 05:27 AM

I've bought my 24" a few months ago and it rocks, and still rocks and will rock in the future
iMac 24" 2.16 C2D 2GB RAM 500 GB HD 7600GT

lostjamie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 05:29 AM

Excellent! do you have any photos? Especially of the back? I'm wanting a close up on those ports but i cant find to find any decent clear photos on Flickr or any other mac sites. Would you mind? (Or is that being too cheeky?)

Cheers Noscito!

Noscito
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 06:45 AM

Clear enough? Else I have to borrow a digital camera to make the pic.
iMac 24" 2.16 C2D 2GB RAM 500 GB HD 7600GT

lostjamie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 07:17 AM

Super duper, im happy with there being a FireWire 800 on there.

Thanks Noscito Great help

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2007, 09:50 PM

I read something about a Santa Rosa coming in May. What is it anyways?

And its hard to wait til May or this summer for a new computer.

I also heard of a red iMac also in plans.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2007, 10:11 PM

Sorry, not to question your reading skills but the OP never said anything about being concerned about processor changes. He mentioned about the next revision. Usually that would mean a processor speed bump and not a transisiton of IC chips.
How long would you think this iMac would last me? Like will there be new processors and apps that only work on the new processors happen soon? Or am i a few years away from this?

ImpulseResponse

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by earthlings View Post
I read something about a Santa Rosa coming in May. What is it anyways?

And its hard to wait til May or this summer for a new computer.

I also heard of a red iMac also in plans.
Santa Rosa is the next update to the Intel chip-set Apple now uses on the motherboard. These chip-sets provide features like USB ports, memory controllers, control of frontside bus speeds, IDE and SATA drive controllers, PCI/PCI-express slot controllers, etc.

The "Santa Rosa" (the current codename) chip-sets are said to provide a faster front side bus for the current crop of Core 2 Duo processors and an improved memory controller that will overcome the 3.25GB limit the current chip-set has (due to PCI-express address mapping, the reason for the 3GB limit in the current Core 2 Duo Macs; the Xeon-specific chip-set in the Mac Pro doesn't have this limitation as its a workstation-class chip-set, not a mobile/desktop-class).

These aren't even out yet, and neither are faster mobile-class Core 2 Duo processors (yes, the iMac uses a mobile-class processor), so until Intel releases them, any significant iMac hardware updates are unlikely. Best Apple could do currently would be faster graphics, a few extra USB or FireWire ports, change of the display, etc. Changes, yes, but not major architectural changes.

Red iMac? Ew.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2007, 10:57 PM

your imac will be blazin fast, im still using my g4 imac
specs-
800mhz
512 ram
32vram
60Gb HD
yours will last a few years.

senojsitruc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 12:07 AM

I ordered a 24" iMac the day they were announced, and I love it. I had been using a 20" iMac G5 prior to that. I've used PowerBooks for many years (and still do), and the iMacs complement them well. No noisy fans (I never hear the fan on the 24" - even when encoding video for hours on end), it takes up minimal desk space, and for being a desktop computer it is rather portable (when compared to hauling a CPU and display). The display is large enough to show full 1080 video ... which is great for the Apple HD trailers. The built-in speakers are more than sufficient for day-to-day use.

I realize that your primary concern was about missing out on an imminent upgrade; what I'm trying to show is that it's an awesome machine. You won't be disappointed.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2007, 12:53 AM

don't worry, your machine kicks ass... if santa rosa was coming out next week it'd be a bad purchase, but as it stands you've made a good decision
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

lostjamie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 04:01 AM

I'm sure i'm going to love it, it's out for delivery today

chotty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 11:36 AM

I... would HAVE waited, myself. Still a fine machine you're getting.

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2007, 09:18 PM

I'm now thinking after hldan's post, that infact a colour change (to black) is going to be an option and probably is going to happen. I've seen it rumoured on a few blogs..... I think the Blu-Ray disc wont be in an update for a very long time, just what im thinking though.
I'm skeptical about the color change, though there's always a possibility. Usually I don't really trust anything in Apple rumor sites until there's a large consensus, or a more reputable site (like Macworld) mentions it.

As for Blu-ray - I don't see Apple switching to any HD optical drive option for a year, at least, especially not in the consumer line. Neither Blu-ray nor HD-DVD have any sort of lead in market share, and Apple's not going to add a several-hundred dollar option to their computers, only to have it become the new Beta.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Santa Rosa is the next update to the Intel chip-set Apple now uses on the motherboard. These chip-sets provide features like USB ports, memory controllers, control of frontside bus speeds, IDE and SATA drive controllers, PCI/PCI-express slot controllers, etc.

The "Santa Rosa" (the current codename) chip-sets are said to provide a faster front side bus for the current crop of Core 2 Duo processors and an improved memory controller that will overcome the 3.25GB limit the current chip-set has (due to PCI-express address mapping, the reason for the 3GB limit in the current Core 2 Duo Macs; the Xeon-specific chip-set in the Mac Pro doesn't have this limitation as its a workstation-class chip-set, not a mobile/desktop-class).

These aren't even out yet, and neither are faster mobile-class Core 2 Duo processors (yes, the iMac uses a mobile-class processor), so until Intel releases them, any significant iMac hardware updates are unlikely. Best Apple could do currently would be faster graphics, a few extra USB or FireWire ports, change of the display, etc. Changes, yes, but not major architectural changes.

Red iMac? Ew.

I understand now

&&Red
Mac Rumors: RED MacBooks and iMacs?

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2007, 02:36 PM

Excuse me? My reading skills are just fine. I think you need to check your own reading skills.

I'm not going to bother to quote, as someone else already did and proved my point.

lostjamie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2007, 06:16 PM

Even if there is a black coloured iMac, i wouldn't have thought any different to buying that instead of the white one. And Santa Rosa? They'll be a new one out shortly after that and after that, it's life, it moves on so i've forgotten about it and not going to drag on it. I love my iMac and it is an amazing piece of equipment!
Browsing on a 24" iMac with 3GB of RAM and a super duper fast processor and lots of goodies :)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2007, 07:16 PM

If you'd waited, in three months time there would be another one. You have a fabulous machine, that will last many years. Don't fret the fact that there will always be newer machines in the pipeline, that way madness lies.

mattnxtc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 12:30 PM

Ok fyi...I am tempted to join the mac world. I am lookin to get new computer though I am in no real hurry. I dont need anything special in terms of use for work or anything but really just for at home use for internet/chat/some online games...is the 20in with 2gig ram good enough? I hear you talkin about these new upgrades...are they worth waiting for if u dont have any real need for a super fast computer or anything?

lostjamie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 03:46 PM

If you're just after a mac for general browsing and chating then the upgrades probably wont affect you but thats not meaning dont hold off for the upgrades. But, when they do come out, im sure there will be another one in the pipeline not longer after. So i dont see a real urge to wait to be honest.

After buying mine, i cant say i would have seen a big of a difference in any sort of upgrade, it does what i want and its quick aswell.

I'd recommend even the 17" but if the extra screen space and little bit faster processor is what bytes your bullet then sure, go for it. You'll love a mac
Browsing on a 24" iMac with 3GB of RAM and a super duper fast processor and lots of goodies :)

mattnxtc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the help lostjamie...yeah id probably go with the 20inch b/c well they are just cooler and I do like the idea of the faster processor and potentially more ram.

Has there been any mention of havin the free upgrade attached to a purchase of a Mac? You would think their sells would suffer during this lull when nobody wants to buy a computer whiel they wait for the upgrade...

m4c
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 04:35 PM

I have the same config except I have:
2GB RAM
500GB HD

Huge HD was really important for me... I only got about 90GB left.. I wish they offered 1TB when 24" came out.

Photoshop, video editing and gaming will be awesome with 3GB... but probably an overkill for everything else.... unless you plan on running Vista.. eats RAM like crazy.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 14, 2007, 06:39 PM

yeah..... I need a bigger HD already. 250 is too tiny to archive edited footage.

bigdon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2007, 10:16 PM

I just purchased a 24" with 2.33mhz, 2gb ram, 500gb HD & 256mb video card...

This is my first Mac ever and as a heavy PC user (web development mostly), I think the specs I chose for my new computer is up to the task of what I am wanting to do. I have owned enough PC's to not get hung up on the fact that you only have the latest and greatest for a short amount of time.

Mine should be arrive early next week.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2007, 10:17 AM

what an incredible machine!

I love the imacs.

but just out of curiosity, why did you decide against a mac pro? Just playing around in the store, you can configured a macpro, with almost the exact specs (2.66GHz instead of 2.33, and 2GB of ram instead of 3) and a 20 inch display for the same price.

just trying to decide in my head... thanks!
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 29, 2007, 12:49 PM

I chose the iMac because the top of the line model will hold it's value really well for a few years, and I get a 24" screen, pretty great videocard (7600GT), and iSight, Frontrow, Remote, and other stuff for about 2 grand. In 1-3 years, I'll sell this and buy another one.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Frugle View Post
what an incredible machine!

I love the imacs.

but just out of curiosity, why did you decide against a mac pro? Just playing around in the store, you can configured a macpro, with almost the exact specs (2.66GHz instead of 2.33, and 2GB of ram instead of 3) and a 20 inch display for the same price.

just trying to decide in my head... thanks!
Personally I went for the 24" iMac over the Mac Pro because of my needs as well as physical space. I live in a small studio apartment, and I was looking for a computer that took up as little space as possible, but with some good power. Of course the iMac was a natural choice there. Also, I do most of my heavy work at my office so I don't really need a powerhouse machine at home. Just something that I can do some occasional take home work, some freelance work, and games.

I got my iMac about 4 months ago and I've loved every minute of it. I think it just might be the most satisfying computer I've ever purchased.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2007, 02:01 PM

I think you'll be fine. The current generation iMac is just wonderful. Congrats on your new loaded iMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules