Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Rearranging the top right corner

Rearranging the top right corner
jamiemcf
Mar 31, 2007, 10:34 PM

How do you rearrange the order that the stuff at the top right corner (time, battery charge, airport strength, bluetooth) is in? Cos i accidentally removed the clock to see what it looked like on the desktop and when i put it back it was 2nd from the right rather than 1st, is there any way to change it back?

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2007, 10:40 PM

Hold down the apple key and then click and drag the icons.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2007, 05:28 PM

The Command Key, its called the Command Key.

-Owl

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2007, 05:36 PM

Yeah, but I've told people "press the command key" before, and they look down and are like "where's it say command?", so I generally just say apple key.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2007, 05:37 PM

It's called both. It has both symbols. "Apple" is more descriptive than "command," which isn't really evoked by a square with curly corners.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2007, 06:36 PM

Yeah, anyone who is asking that question is just as likely not to know that it is called the command key. I always call it the Apple key except to people who I know are hard-core apple nerds.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It's called both.
No, it's only called command key.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2007, 08:41 PM

But if it's called the command key, why does it only have an open  and a ⌘ on it?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 12:09 AM

Command key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Early Apple computers, like the Apple IIc, had two such keys which mapped to the two different fire buttons of an attached joystick. Because it was an Apple II, the one on the left had an outlined "open" Apple logo, and the one on the right had an opaque "solid" Apple logo. The Apple Lisa had only the solid Apple logo. When the Macintosh was introduced in 1984, the keyboard had a single command key with a symbol reminiscent of a four leaf clover (⌘, U+2318), because Steve Jobs said that showing the Apple logo throughout the menus as a keyboard shortcut was "taking [it] in vain."[1]
Thus, the ⌘ appears in the Macintosh menus as the primary modifier key symbol.
In 1986, the Apple IIGS was introduced. Like the newer Macintosh computers to come, such as the Macintosh SE, it used Apple Desktop Bus for its keyboard and mouse. However, it was still an Apple II. Apple changed the keys on the IIGS's keyboard to Command and Option, as on Mac keyboards, but added an open-Apple to the Command key, for consistency with applications for previous Apple II generations. (The Option key did not have a solid-Apple, probably because Apple II applications used the solid-Apple key much more rarely than the open-Apple key; thus there was less need to keep it around.) Because any ADB keyboard could be used with the IIGS, all of Apple's ADB keyboards—even those intended for the Mac—also required the open-Apple. As of 2007, Apple's Command key still uses this two-symbol design.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
No, it's only called command key.
good grief you guys are arguing about this?

who the heck cares? I have always refered to it for new mac users as the apple key because the Apple logo is first.... look down at the key, they apple logo is on the left, the command logo is on the right, in english we read left to right, so it is easier found by someone if they are looking for the apple key than the command key.

If I ever refer to it as the command key they always say "which one is that?"

again who cares?
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 11:42 PM

I think TETENAL has missed my point massively. Many of us know the history behind the button, but what user new to the platform knows that? So again, I ask you, why do we call it the command key when it has an open apple and a squiggly symbol on it? How is that helpful to a new user?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2007, 01:48 AM

Again, we don't. When we talk to new users, we call it the Apple key. It's a shibboleth used to smoke out Apple Nerds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules