Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Installing a New HD in iBook Clamshell - Advice Needed

Installing a New HD in iBook Clamshell - Advice Needed
Koralatov
Senior User
Jul 1, 2007, 10:15 AM

So, having just bought one of the "Paris" 466MHz iBooks, I'm already scheming about my next upgrade. It comes with a 10GB hard-disk, which I plan on replacing with a larger one (40 or 60GB--I haven't decided yet). However, I do have a question about it. I plan on installing it myself as I'm feeling super-brave, but I'm not sure about one step in the installation process.

Do I need to clone the old hard-disk onto the new one prior to installation, or can I just dive straight in and install the drive, then install Tiger on it by starting the machine up with the Tiger DVD in the drive?

matty-uk
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2007, 11:39 AM

the only thing I'd suggest is be very careful with when removing the top case and where the power button attaches to the logic board

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 08:48 AM

You shouldn't need to clone the drive onto the new one. Just install the new one, boot off the 10.4 DVD, and start installing.

I'd recommend getting a 7200rpm HDD if you can afford it. Everything you do to increase performance will help on those old laptops. Add a 512MB stick of PC100 or PC133 RAM, too. For hard drive brands, buy Toshiba or Seagate. Avoid Hitachi. Get the biggest hard drive you can afford, since upgrading again will be a bitch and a half.

Use iFixIt's take-apart guide for extremely clear instructions on how to take apart your clamshell. Good luck!
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 04:39 PM

shifuimam, thanks for the advice--it's very much appreciated!

Congratulations on the upgrades you did on your iBook--I'm sure I'd do something similar if I had the technical ability to do so. As it stands, upping the RAM and HD is enough for me!

Again, sincerest thanks!

Edit: Would an imported (US) battery work in a UK machine? Or would I need to use and adaptor on the incoming power-source?
( Last edited by Koralatov; Jul 3, 2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Additional Question)

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 03:24 PM

The battery won't matter. The A/C adapter will. Make sure you have one that's got the right voltage rating for the UK. But the battery itself shouldn't be an issue.

Just make sure you have the right tools and lots of time and patience, and you'll be fine. I've taken apart my tangerine iBook at least 15 times in the past year and a half - it gets easier every time.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Jul 6, 2007, 10:57 AM

Again, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, shifuimam. I really appreciate your advice.

I don't think I'd want to take it apart fifteen times over my entire lifetime, but I have a dream of one day switching the casing for one from one of the Firewire Key Lime models, if I ever manage to track one down cheap enough. It's not the most subtle colour, but I'm strangely drawn to it.

Again, thanks for the advice! It'll take a while before I can afford to upgrade the thing, but hopefully I'll get it fulled tooled-out some day.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2007, 01:02 PM

You like Key Lime? Wow.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules