Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > waiting or buying...the ultimate delemma

waiting or buying...the ultimate delemma
Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2001, 08:56 AM

I sat on the side lines when the first rev of the TiBook came out precisely because it was such a new and radical design. I sat there looking at my large graveyard of Powerbooks (going back to a 170 which I still love to fireup for old times sake) and figured I would wait for the kinks to get engineered out of the first Tis and for some nice enhancements to be added to the stable design.

Everyone now knows what apple did to the TiBook on Tuesday and let's face it, it is A LOT of enhancment and a nice price drop too -- one of the most agressive for any mac model. For me it rewards perfectly my strategy and I have an order in from TekServe in NY and I am simply THRILLED. I will have my hands on it next week and can't wait.

Everyone knows that in something like 6-9 months there will be a another enhancement or perhaps an all new TiBook. The rub is no one knows exactly when or what it will be. If it is an enhancment it would be remarkable if it offered more than the current one. If it is a redesign the conservatives out there (like me) will be wise to wait for Rev II. I remember feeling a bit smug with the problems being reported in Rev I of the TiBook. So, if you like the current design of the Ti AND you have been waiting for the right aligment of features (and stars) than this is the one to snap up as it may be gone in 6 months and probably will be.

The ultimate delemma is that there is always a low hanging logic to justify ones waiting or buying. For old time Mac fans you know when the right unit gets built that results in you reading off the creditcard numbers. For me it was the Ti 667 (I also consider the G4 867 possibly a must-buy desktop and I may snap one up in January depending upon how the purchase landscape looks). For Wintel refugees, they should purchase as bug-free a unit at as good a price as possible. Heck, we want their first Mac experience to be as positive as possible. This current TiBook is an excellent purchase for old time Mac customers who are in the market to add another portable to their stack AND for first-timers too.

Anyway, I clealy am a big fan of looking for second revisions on otherwise great products. If I wait for the next revision I will have waited too long and may miss this great product entirely.

Apple is in the enviable position of having armys of customers variously poised to buy one or more of their products.

Finally a question - what is the story with the 48gig HD option? I orderd the 30gig HD and I don't need the capacity but I hear it may be a lot quiter drive and stealth is worth the couple of C notes. How much quiter is it?????

Richard

Forum Links
Forum Rules