Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Swapping HD void my warranty?

Swapping HD void my warranty?
schwachs
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 10:17 AM

I am looking to get a new MBPro....

anyone know if I get the standard HD and then get a 3rd party HD down the road, does it void my warranty?

thanks!!!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 12:19 PM

Only if a non-Apple service center (example: you) does it AND they catch you.

In other words, not bloody likely.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 12:25 PM

You could just keep the old HDD and put it back in if you need to bring it in. You'd be kind of SOL if it was a software problem, though. I say leave it alone unless you really need the speed.

schwachs  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 03:44 PM

that's a good idea. Maybe I'll do that when i run out of room. but then new ones will be bigger and cheaper. i ended up upgrading to the 160 for now which should be enough for a while.

ecking01
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2006, 02:29 AM

I'm in the same position. I have a 1st gen mbp and want more than 80gigs of space I want the 160.

Would it be possible to buy the drive elsewhere and have apple install it, thus not voiding my warranty?

If desperate I'd be fine with buying the drive from apple and having them install but it is even possible to do that with the old mbps?

I just don't want to f with my apple care after spending upwards of 2 bills on it.

jack19
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 04:53 AM

it will only wen its a non-apple service center..

ecking01
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2006, 12:43 PM

So you're saying that the apple store can install the 160gb drive for me if I buy it elsewhere or do I have to buy it from them?

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Oct 26, 2006, 12:53 PM

This is something I've done on EVERY laptop I've bought for the last couple of years. Buy it.... upgrade the RAM.... upgrade the HD. Here's a couple of things I've learned.....

1. Apple Stores won't install a 3rd party HD.

2. CompUSA will install it AND they're Apple Certified. So in the unlikely event something does go wrong, your warranty is good.

3. CompUSA also will probably carry the drive you want, so you might get the installation cheaper,

With all the laptop HDs I've had upgraded, I've never had a problem.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

ecking01
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 02:54 AM

Unfortunately we don't have compUS in Canda. I wonder if compusmart is the canadian equivalent?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ecking01 View Post
Unfortunately we don't have compUS in Canda. I wonder if compusmart is the canadian equivalent?
You have to have someone who is Apple Certified for repair to do the swap. That's the requirement to crack open the box. If that's done, then the warranty on the machine is preserved. I'll let you look up your local Apple authorized service providers... there's a list on apple.com.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2006, 10:42 PM

Anyone know how much an Apple store would charge to swap a drive? Or CompUSA?

I've replaced the HD on every Mac laptop I've owned, at least twice each, and never had a problem. But I keep the old drive, to swap back, in case it needs to be sent in. The last one I've swapped is my 4 year-old 1 GHz TiBook, and I don't think the MBP is much harder, is it?

Bot my shiny new C2D MBP coming next week, with the 160GB HD, but I'm anticipating the need for more storage after a year or two, and I'm just planning ahead! (Didn't want to go with the slower 4200rpm 200GB drive option.)

iBorg

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2006, 11:11 PM

As good as a machine the MBP is... it's a shame you get a much better option for changing out the HD's on the Macbook without voiding your warranty... ok, so you can get much bigger drives on the day of purchase with your MBP, but still... come on Apple, easier removal in the next Rev or so plz?

The more people I meet, the more I love dogs...
Women aren't stupid........................ men are ;)

Forum Links
Forum Rules